Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2006 2007 [2008] 2009 2010 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9486145 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30107 on: May 16, 2011, 02:33:28 pm »

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/05/in-spain-a-high-profile-spat-ove.html

They want to kick out Barbacid :(

The saddest thing is that with the current funding-cuts political climate, the funding system he proposed is a great idea to funnel private funds into cancer R&D. In fact, simmilar models were used with great success in CIMA, another important Spanish R&D center. So the whole thing is ridiculous.

The only positive non-negative thing is that the most touted replacement is Blasco, who is an able and reputable scientist in her own right.
But it's absurd for the goverment to make a law "aiming to reduce brain drain" (which it wont, but that's another matter), while encouraging a man like Barbacid to go back to the US.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30108 on: May 16, 2011, 02:38:02 pm »

Hurph.

I wish I were more "manly."  I'm starting to feel sort of uncomfortable in my skin again, so I guess I'd better do some work to rebalance centerwards.  The feminism is a really good thing for me overall.  However, it's also caused what feels like an internal gender imbalance to the girl side.

Oh, well.  That shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Find a punching bag. Not much can make a person feel more manly. (Aside from breaking patio tiles and eating a giant steak, of course, neither of which I'd imagine you'd do.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30109 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »

The Disgaea 4 trailer just talks about how manly you can become over and over again.  Yeah I'm pretty sure the Powerthirst guy does the English version for narration.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30110 on: May 16, 2011, 02:55:36 pm »

Find a punching bag. Not much can make a person feel more manly. (Aside from breaking patio tiles and eating a giant steak, of course, neither of which I'd imagine you'd do.)

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of situps, pushups, and swordfighting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30111 on: May 16, 2011, 02:58:14 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of situps, pushups, and swordfighting.
And here we have proof that Vector is manlier than I am. All I've got to my name in terms of manliness is a beard and a love of fried meat.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30112 on: May 16, 2011, 02:58:57 pm »

We need to cross shinai sometime. It would be an honor.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30113 on: May 16, 2011, 03:57:26 pm »

This article very nearly made me cry, but it was fascinating.

Good read, and not atypical in my experience. I know a LOT of folks in the 21-40 age range who are 1st generation Americans, children of Indians, Taiwanese, Chinese, Koreans, etc. and have that attitude. They're strongly nativizing, in the same way that my own grandmothers forgot their native Volgadeutsch and spoke only English. It's more than just Americanizing, it's full assimilation where the old culture and values are forgotten. And that attitude just gets stronger the younger you go. When I started learning Mandarin, most of my classmates were Chinese-Americans who were only learning it because their families were putting pressure on them to, and who mostly didn't want to be there.

I had one Taiwanese friend pay me the odd compliment of calling me a ji dan ("egg"), because I was "white on the outside and yellow on the inside". Mostly because his other 1st or 2nd generation Asian friends weren't interested in their own culture, and I was.

And I think a lot of *why* there's a mass migration away from being more "American" and less "Asian" is the sort of pressurized hell that the article describes. When I was in high school, one of the big powerhouses in the state in terms of scholastic competitions had this elite squad of Vietnamese prodigies that were living calculators, but could barely hold a normal conversation without a handler present. It was really, really sad and a big part of why I chose not to go the overachiever/Valedictorian/triple major path in school.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:03:20 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #30114 on: May 16, 2011, 04:01:41 pm »

I can't figure out how I'm supposed to react emotionally to having found my father on facebook. It's something like 8 years minimum since I last saw him and then I just type his name into the search, something I've done many times before without results and bam. Face.

This just leaves me completely helpless somehow, I don't know how to react so I just drift around motionless, doing nothing, trying not to think about it.

I don't want contact, I couldn't trust him to be there for me last time and I have way too much shit going on for me to consider giving him a chance and spending energy on opening up to a stranger that always felt more like an imposter than a real father.

It's just the fact that I KNOW he's my father that bothers me the most. I think. I don't know what I'm supposed to do ;_;

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30115 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »

This article very nearly made me cry, but it was fascinating.

Good read, and not atypical in my experience. I know a LOT of folks in the 21-40 age range who are 1st generation Americans, children of Indians, Taiwanese, Chinese, Koreans, etc. and have that attitude. They're strongly nativizing, in the same way that my own grandmothers forgot their native Volgadeutsch and spoke only English. It's more than just Americanizing, it's full assimilation where the old culture and values are forgotten. And that attitude just gets stronger the younger you go. When I started learning Mandarin, most of my classmates were Chinese-Americans who were only learning it because their families were putting pressure on them to, and who mostly didn't want to be there.

I had one Taiwanese friend pay me the odd compliment of calling me a ji dan ("egg"), because I was "white on the outside and yellow on the inside". Mostly because his other 1st or 2nd generation Asian friends weren't interested in their own culture, and I was.

And I think a lot of *why* there's a mass migration away from being more "American" and less "Asian" is the sort of pressurized hell that the article describes. When I was in high school, one of the big powerhouses in the state in terms of scholastic competitions had this elite squad of Vietnamese prodigies that were living calculators, but could barely hold a normal conversation without a handler present. It was really, really sad and a big part of why I chose not to go the overachiever/Valedictorian/triple major path in school.
There have been studies for over 30 years showing just how terrible those "pressurized hell" situations are for people. One study found that products of it were 80% more likely to suffer depression and 70% more likely to attempt suicide.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30116 on: May 16, 2011, 05:15:31 pm »

That's kinda how I feel except I'm putting it on myself for no gog damn reason and I hate it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30117 on: May 16, 2011, 07:22:23 pm »

Kweh.

It feels like I wake up every morning and the first thing I notice is how uneducated I am.  Like someone running around in there, shouting "AAAAaaagh you know nothing you know nothing."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30118 on: May 16, 2011, 07:27:35 pm »

I'm going to slow the rotation speed of Earth so I have more time each day.  Never have enough time ever.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30119 on: May 16, 2011, 07:29:14 pm »

Kweh.

It feels like I wake up every morning and the first thing I notice is how uneducated I am.  Like someone running around in there, shouting "AAAAaaagh you know nothing you know nothing."

Congratulations! You have achieved true wisdom, according to my good friends Bill, Ted, and Socrates. Actually this seems to be a frequent result of spending so much time learning and suddenly realizing "Holy crap there's still so much to learn, how am I supposed to finish?" All I can really say is that, hopefully, you'll reach a point where that's an optimistic point of view, because it means you get to do more learning.

Apologies if the post's unhelpful (I know how lame saying, "Things will probably be better later" is for when a person feels down NOW).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2006 2007 [2008] 2009 2010 ... 8167