Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487462 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30030 on: May 14, 2011, 03:19:29 am »

Ugh. I feel like I'm going to spew.

:(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30031 on: May 14, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »

Well this sucks, im gonna miss Vector's LS because this is the slowest internet ever.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30032 on: May 14, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »

:(

My computer monitor died, now I'm stuck using my old dell 4600 computer. My desk doesn't have enough room for the CRT monitor and my newer computers tower. I can't put the tower on the floor either, it would suck up to much dust down there...

Well, atleast my birthday is roughly a month away. I can have them help me get a new monitor. I was thinking about getting this one http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8218 It looks pretty good, don't know that much about monitors though.

I just started a good Genesis mod fort too. It was a good map setup, terrifying with a really big volcano (right on a sheer cliff, extends as just an obsidian tube for several z levels). I like to go for Mordor like forts. Oh well  :'( I'll have to try to pick it back up sometime next month. Hell, I was planning on replaying the stalker series too... this sucks.
My personality profile.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30033 on: May 14, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »

I also have monitor problems.  I had a 28" Hanns-G for four years that I got from Best Buy.  It started having problems, so I took it in near the end of the 4-year warranty, and they said they no longer carried that model or had any parts on hand to repair it.  So they gave me in-store credit.  I was pretty happy with this.  Usually it means free upgrade. 

But somehow Best Buy's monitor selection has gone completely to hell in the last 4 years.  Seriously, they didn't have a single goddamn monitor that compared to the one I bought from them four years prior.  It's pathetic.  I scoured their website and finally found one that was perfect for me... for double the price of my old one, but it was the ONLY choice I saw as acceptable.

So I started saving up and planned to finally buy it with some help from my parents on my birthday.

And Best Buy removes the item from their goddamn website 4 days before my birthday.  Fuck them soooo fucking much.......
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30034 on: May 14, 2011, 02:04:18 pm »

Get this one instead.
Don't buy Alienware.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30035 on: May 14, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »

I'm gonna need my computer dusted out, I think. It keeps crashing from what I guess is overheating. Or I might have to get a new one, since vacuuming it doesn't really help much. Unless there's some kind of dedustifying shit I can pay for. Feels very weird paying people to do something so simple, though.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30036 on: May 14, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »

NEVER Use a vacuum on the inside of your computer. Even weak suction can cause damage. Use a light brush or compressed air (from a can, never a compressor) for anything loose, and a rubbing-alcohol rinse for anything stuck.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30037 on: May 14, 2011, 04:49:49 pm »

Really? Well, at least I learnt something. No cleaning for me, then.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30038 on: May 14, 2011, 04:54:19 pm »

Eh, come on, what damage? I've been vacuum cleaning all of my desktops, without any adverse effects. No RAM or CPU sucked in. No static discharge to fry the circuits. No extra money spent.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30039 on: May 14, 2011, 04:58:28 pm »

It depends on the manufacturere of the board, but I've seen minor breaks in the tracings, loosened capacitors, and other subtle damage of that sort, all of which can lead to severe instabilities and malfunctions.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30040 on: May 14, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »

Perhaps your Westen vacuum cleaners are too powerful. It's all because of your overgrown American ego, you know.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30041 on: May 14, 2011, 05:21:18 pm »

Even the little handheld ones can do it. Electronic components are not sturdy.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30042 on: May 14, 2011, 05:31:39 pm »

Get this one instead.
Don't buy Alienware.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've read up on both and can't make up my mind on what would be better unfortunately. I'm leaning toward the Alienware still though since the Asus has some problems with a slightly green tint from what I've read. Other then that I would say that the Alienware is the better gaming monitor while the Asus is the better overall... I'm not actually tech savy though so I'm going to shut my word hole now.

NEVER Use a vacuum on the inside of your computer. Even weak suction can cause damage. Use a light brush or compressed air (from a can, never a compressor) for anything loose, and a rubbing-alcohol rinse for anything stuck.

I use an air compressor to clean out my computers and never had an issue. Just dont blow on the sensitive bits at point blank range and you should be ok. I agree with vacuums being a bad idea though. They suck  :P
My personality profile.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30043 on: May 14, 2011, 05:32:21 pm »

Like that time I put a refigerator magnet in the disc drive!

Good times, good times...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30044 on: May 14, 2011, 05:37:26 pm »

Get this one instead.
Don't buy Alienware.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've read up on both and can't make up my mind on what would be better unfortunately. I'm leaning toward the Alienware still though since the Asus has some problems with a slightly green tint from what I've read. Other then that I would say that the Alienware is the better gaming monitor while the Asus is the better overall... I'm not actually tech savy though so I'm going to shut my word hole now.

I use an air compressor to clean out my computers and never had an issue. Just dont blow on the sensitive bits at point blank range and you should be ok. I agree with vacuums being a bad idea though. They suck  :P
Not just pressure that you need to be concerned about. I'ts common for a compressor to get condensation in the piping. Once you lose a laser to an eletrical fire caused by that, you get cautious.
Pages: 1 ... 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 ... 8167