Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1997 1998 [1999] 2000 2001 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9489014 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29970 on: May 13, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »

Why do you want to be killed then?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29971 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »

I was pretty sure your post
I have to kill you Criptfeind no hard feelings.
was a joke.

If it is not can you PM me where you live?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29972 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »

The question is which do you value more?  Your integrity or your safety?

Um... Safety.

Yeah, reading this again, I worded it badly.  Safety is a misleading term in this context, considering the majority of bullies threaten nothing more than bruises, damaged pride, and lost lunch money.  Trust me, I definitely don't belittle the effect that has on a person over long periods of time, but it's usually not a matter of serious injury or death, which is what "safety" would imply.  When faced with serious personal threats, I don't think much less of a person for not being too self-critical.  With your typical bullying, however, I don't think it's wrong to encourage people to be more creative, strong-willed, and productive in facing the issue.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29973 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02:09 pm »

You know, I might be the wrong person to talk about this then, because I have never be subject to the lesser class of bullies that only take your milk money and pride.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29974 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02:30 pm »

I have no idea what you just said.
but not bad enough to leave off the poetic, romanticizing language.
So that's how I've been talking? No wonder I need a translator when with strangers.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29975 on: May 13, 2011, 09:04:14 pm »

So that's how I've been talking? No wonder I need a translator when with strangers.

I recommend this path for none, for the trials are many and the rewards are few. I frankly don't know why I chose it...

... You can't smell it?  It's dripping...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29976 on: May 13, 2011, 09:05:25 pm »

Violence only begets more violence.  If he's not trying to put you in the hospital, don't make things worse.  Even if he is, get away if you can.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29977 on: May 13, 2011, 09:06:31 pm »

I was pretty sure your post
was a joke.
If it is not can you PM me where you live?
This is all theoretical.  I don't ever plan to kill you.  However, you stated:
Does it make me a bad person if I believe in preemptive retaliatory strikes in a position with bullies or whatever? Strikes meant to be so disproportional that they are unable to strike me back?
If you believe this statement then that means I can strike you to death and you shouldn't have any complaints.

You even accept the fact here:
No. No, I understand. According to my view of taking out threats before they threaten you that makes perfect sense to me.
Which means I'm allowed to kill you.

Which means you're allowing yourself to be killed since I wouldn't kill you without your permission.

You're killing yourself, why do you believe this view when it could mean the end of your life?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29978 on: May 13, 2011, 09:09:05 pm »

So, Criptfeind: let's imagine someone reads about your philosophy of "preemptive retaliation".  They realise that, when they meet you, there's every chance you'll randomly punch them in the face to prevent them from attacking you.  Therefore, the person meeting you realizes he'll have to strike first.  Would he be justified in doing so?

Really, you sound waaaaaaay more dangerous than any of these bullies you talk about.  At least the bullies limit themselves to targets they think they might actually get something from.  Although I guess "Become the biggest bully in your school" is quite a good way to avoid bullying if you're so inclined.

I do not see the issue with something being both preemptive and retaliatory. If they are going to strike me, and I strike them first, is that not both preemptive and retaliatory?
Because they haven't done anything to you.  Retaliation is something you do in return for someone else having done something to you (still dubious if you're massively escalating it, but whatever).  It's a nonsensical oxymoron - you do one or the other, not both.

Yeah. That is just craziness. I would hit much harder. I think if I got in a gang war I would gather my gang and kill them all or be killed in the first attack.
Please, please, PLEASE tell me you're joking about this.

Violence only begets more violence.  If he's not trying to put you in the hospital, don't make things worse.  Even if he is, get away if you can.
I think this is the most sensible thing said on this thread so far.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29979 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:26 pm »

You know, I might be the wrong person to talk about this then, because I have never be subject to the lesser class of bullies that only take your milk money and pride.

I've been hurt worse.  I've had my head slammed into a brick wall, gouged in the arm with a pen, shoved into a rusty nail that cut my leg, hit in the back of the neck unexpectedly by someone running past who just kept running... but every time it was something that happened and then it was over.  There was no continued threat and if there had been, I would have been ready to defend myself proportionately.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29980 on: May 13, 2011, 09:16:24 pm »

Running away makes it so your vulnerable back is facing them, but if they have broken legs they can not chase you.

If you believe this statement then that means I can strike you to death and you shouldn't have any complaints.

It means if you have a good reason to think I am a threat to you or I think you are a threat to me then I would understand if you tried to kill me. But, see I am not stupid (thus I do not think you are a threat to me) and not a psychopath (thus I am not a threat to you) there is nothing to set of the chain of instant pre-retaliation ending in a deadly game of who can kill whom first.

No. No, I understand. According to my view of taking out threats before they threaten you that makes perfect sense to me.
Which means I'm allowed to kill you.

Which means you're allowing yourself to be killed since I wouldn't kill you without your permission.

Well, there are two things here.

1: That was a joking response to what I thought was a joking post.

2: That is not permission to kill me, that is me saying I would understand if you did. I would still try my hardest to kill or incapacitate you first.

Leafsnail: You are both assuming I am a psychopath, and that there is nothing needed to start it.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you're joking about this.

Toooo... A certain extent. If I thought it was needed for safety, and I could not do it another way, then yes I would.

Edit: Let my try to put this down a better way here.

1: I do believe in escalation of violence so a person can not respond to it.
2: I do believe in a preemptive attack to prevent any violence against me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:18:53 pm by Criptfeind »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29981 on: May 13, 2011, 09:17:08 pm »

or be killed in the first attack.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29982 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:52 pm »

I'll kill you first then with a very good reason that only I can understand.  Is that okay with your criteria?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29983 on: May 13, 2011, 09:22:53 pm »

Not if I can not understand it.

I would be greatly confused.

Also, I can not read your body language over the internet, so I would assume you are joking if you said that.

Not a optimal outcome. But a possible one.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29984 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:15 pm »

Don't take this as a statement of support for Criptfeind's argument, but everyone dies eventually. If someone were die trying to make a life worth living, I'd say that it'd be worth it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1997 1998 [1999] 2000 2001 ... 8167