Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1996 1997 [1998] 1999 2000 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9488964 times)

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29955 on: May 13, 2011, 08:25:07 pm »

You shouldn't ever try to punish people for what they might do.

If you see them do it to others I don't really consider it a "what they might do" situation. They just are not attacking you because your not a good enough target yet.
My personality profile.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29956 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26:43 pm »

How would you retaliate then? If nobody with any authority can put a stop to it what do you do?

I sat there quietly and continued my work as she hit me (she had at least 30 pounds and significant athleticism on me, so this wasn't an ooh, weak female situation).  For the other one, I took my things back as necessary or rescued my homework, and then I got back to work.

I'm a math student, remember?  Extreme concentration skills are basically a job requirement.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29957 on: May 13, 2011, 08:28:45 pm »

I do not see the issue with something being both preemptive and retaliatory. If they are going to strike me, and I strike them first, is that not both preemptive and retaliatory?

In any case, it's interesting how these ideas of "disproportionate retaliation" lead to feuds, gang wars and the like.  Each side thinks the other side will give up if they just strike a little harder next time.

Yeah. That is just craziness. I would hit much harder. I think if I got in a gang war I would gather my gang and kill them all or be killed in the first attack.

Probably a good thing I have never gotten in that sorta thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29958 on: May 13, 2011, 08:32:48 pm »

The question is which do you value more?  Your integrity or your safety? 

Defending yourself against a bully by dishing out more damage than you receive may make your immediate life a bit easier, but that doesn't mean it was a real solution to the problem.  Chances are you are operating on the assumption that the root of the problem is your personal inconvenience, which likely isn't the case and asserting dominance through that mentality just makes you bully #1.

As Dumbledore would say, we must choose between what is right and what is easy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29959 on: May 13, 2011, 08:34:17 pm »

How would you retaliate then? If nobody with any authority can put a stop to it what do you do?

I sat there quietly and continued my work as she hit me (she had at least 30 pounds and significant athleticism on me, so this wasn't an ooh, weak female situation).  For the other one, I took my things back as necessary or rescued my homework, and then I got back to work.

I'm a math student, remember?  Extreme concentration skills are basically a job requirement.

I see, to each there own then. I ended up ignoring bullies when I became depressed. Just made it worse than before from my experience. They would back off for a bit after I would fight back on the rare occassion, but they would be back soon after they seen I wouldn't do anything to them again. I don't see just ignoring it solving the problem though. Atleast a dumb animale can learn not to do things that get them hurt, bullies seem to work in the same way.
My personality profile.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29960 on: May 13, 2011, 08:45:48 pm »

The question is which do you value more?  Your integrity or your safety?

Um... Safety.

Anyway, for the rest of your post, I would say that I do not care why they are being a bully. So yeah... Apparently that makes me a bully in your eyes? Which I am fine with.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29961 on: May 13, 2011, 08:46:54 pm »

Defending yourself against a bully by dishing out more damage than you receive may make your immediate life a bit easier, but that doesn't mean it was a real solution to the problem.  Chances are you are operating on the assumption that the root of the problem is your personal inconvenience, which likely isn't the case and asserting dominance through that mentality just makes you bully #1.

As Dumbledore would say, we must choose between what is right and what is easy.
When going for what SalmonGod quotes as "the easy way" the biggest problem with it I see people have is follow through. Once you begin doing this you end up requiring to do it more until most people give it up. What these people don't know is that if you go far enough you are no longer required. Though once you reach this point your life is relatively shit and you feel terrible if you got carried away at any point in the follow through.
I recommend this path for none, for the trials are many and the rewards are few. I frankly don't know why I chose it...
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29962 on: May 13, 2011, 08:48:32 pm »

I have to kill you Criptfeind no hard feelings.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29963 on: May 13, 2011, 08:50:30 pm »

I have no idea what you just said.

I have to kill you Criptfeind no hard feelings.

No. No, I understand. According to my view of taking out threats before they threaten you that makes perfect sense to me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29964 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:06 pm »

You understand that you're killing yourself right?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29965 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »

No. Not really.

I understand what you mean, but you have to keep in mind when I am telling you my views on retaliation I am not stupid* and I am not a psychopath.

*Unless you think my views are stupid, then you are allowed to think I am stupid, but do not apply the stupid label to me before you rate my view.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:56:02 pm by Criptfeind »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29966 on: May 13, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »

You understand that you're killing yourself right?
Only if he threatens himself. In that case he would have to preventively commit suicide.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29967 on: May 13, 2011, 08:55:31 pm »

No. Not really.
I understand what you mean, but you have to keep in mind when I am telling you my views on retaliation I am not stupid* and I am not a psychopath.
*Unless you think my views are stupid, then you are allowed to think I am stupid, but do not apply the stupid label to me before you rate my view.
What are you?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29968 on: May 13, 2011, 08:56:35 pm »

I have no idea what you just said.

You usually have to beat up people a hell of a lot to get them to leave you alone instead of just ramping up their attacks.  This is prone to make one feel bad about oneself.  The dude feels bad about trying this, but not bad enough to leave off the poetic, romanticizing language.

... >_> <_<
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29969 on: May 13, 2011, 08:57:40 pm »

No. Not really.
What are you?
Um... Nothing?

I am a perfectly normal guy in every aspect that matters here.

Edit: With the possible exception of size, statistically I am bigger then 999/1000 of the population.
Pages: 1 ... 1996 1997 [1998] 1999 2000 ... 8167