Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9490517 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29940 on: May 13, 2011, 05:35:44 pm »

It seems as that post is old.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29941 on: May 13, 2011, 07:12:34 pm »

Losing weight again...
*Hugs*

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29942 on: May 13, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »

have to go to dinner with my mother, who knows that I mixed all the cosmetics and then was told about my "attitude problems (I got put on a team of people who's highest prospects were a cash register)". It's my birthday, why do I have to talk to someone I hate?

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29943 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:47 pm »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates summer. I thought you guys would think I was crazy lol. It just rained here and some of it cooked off before sunset. Damn humidity, now I feel sticky all over :(.

I tend to agree with hitting bullies back. Its the only way they really learn that its not appropriate to act that way. Especially since people who staff the schools are so damn useless. Wish I had used more violence when I was younger. I realize this isn't an option for most, I had the advantage of berserking when pushed to much. Well, feeling no pain and pushing your muscles as far as they can go is a great advantage, but the loss of any real ability to think, tunnel vision, and large drop in balance kinda made it a double edged sword. Atleast it felt good lol.

One thing that got them to atleast take some action on my behalf was to inform them that I was being harrassed and if they don't do anything it will eventually result in violence (either from me or the others). If your good with words this can be quite effective, just make sure you actually go through with it if they don't listen to reason. Could be the difference between them listening next time or ignoring you.

Oh yeah, it makes me sad that people can get away with harming others (Innocent people I mean) unscathed. Worse yet they are often allowed to continue seeking petty enjoyment through the suffering of others by the same people they would harm, either through inaction or active protection. I've never understood why those who say they are good and/or just tolerate the existance of such people.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:00:36 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29944 on: May 13, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »

I tend to agree with hitting bullies back.

Oh yeah, it makes me sad that people can get away with harming others unscathed.

Quod est absurdum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29945 on: May 13, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »

I tend to agree with hitting bullies back.

Oh yeah, it makes me sad that people can get away with harming Innocents unscathed.

Quod est absurdum.

Sorry about that, fixed it.
My personality profile.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29946 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »

If you respond disproportionately, you're not an "innocent".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29947 on: May 13, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »

Especially if you kill them.  Then you're a culprit.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29948 on: May 13, 2011, 08:04:44 pm »

I disagree with you on that, but you probably already knew that. Why defend them when they would harm you for no real reason?
My personality profile.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29949 on: May 13, 2011, 08:05:29 pm »

Does it make me a bad person if I believe in preemptive retaliatory strikes in a position with bullies or whatever? Strikes meant to be so disproportional that they are unable to strike me back?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29950 on: May 13, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »

Why defend them when they would harm you for no real reason?

Because, unless they are seriously threatening your life and long-term health, there is no need to hurt them.

Of course, I had trouble because folks didn't believe me when I was getting beat up.  I was able to act as though I weren't in pain, despite my arm being covered in bruises, and so they assumed I couldn't be hurt.  Stoicism can be useless sometimes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29951 on: May 13, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »

Does it make me a bad person if I believe in preemptive retaliatory strikes in a position with bullies or whatever? Strikes meant to be so disproportional that they are unable to strike me back?

Are you saying you have solid proof they are bullies? Seen them assualt someone else who was just minding their own business? If so I see no problem with that as long as you make it clear to them why you did it. I should say I don't support outright killing of bullies. Thats a bit crazy even for me, not saying that wouldn't be needed in some rare situations though... Like this one case where these bullies nearly suffocated a lil girl to death while essentually torturing her. I can't remember where I heard that from now, was awhile ago.

-Edit-

Fixed some spelling
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:42:13 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29952 on: May 13, 2011, 08:17:50 pm »

You shouldn't ever try to punish people for what they might do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29953 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:08 pm »

Why defend them when they would harm you for no real reason?

Because, unless they are seriously threatening your life and long-term health, there is no need to hurt them.

Of course, I had trouble because folks didn't believe me when I was getting beat up.  I was able to act as though I weren't in pain, despite my arm being covered in bruises, and so they assumed I couldn't be hurt.  Stoicism can be useless sometimes.

How would you retaliate then? If nobody with any authority can put a stop to it what do you do?
My personality profile.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29954 on: May 13, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »

Especially if you kill them.  Then you're a culprit.
Well, it certainly fits the "If you punch them hard enough, they can't punch you back" specification.

Contradiction in terms.  If it's preemptive, it's not retaliatory (unless you have a time travel device or you believe in thought crimes).  I'm not sure about "bad person", but I certainly wouldn't regard someone who takes such measures as any better than the people he's attacking.

In any case, it's interesting how these ideas of "disproportionate retaliation" lead to feuds, gang wars and the like.  Each side thinks the other side will give up if they just strike a little harder next time.
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 8167