Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9496449 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29760 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:33 pm »

Woke up to a charlie horse in my left leg this morning.  No matter how many times I've gone through these, the pain is always immense.  My leg has been sore all day.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29761 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »

I am just so tired I could sit down and cry.

This semester has been a complete clusterfuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29762 on: May 10, 2011, 08:05:47 pm »

I've run out of Banana. My glass is looking a lot emptier than it did a few minutes ago.

I hate it when this happens.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29763 on: May 10, 2011, 08:31:10 pm »

I am just so tired I could sit down and cry.

This semester has been a complete clusterfuck.

Have an Internet hug, for whatever that's worth (which may well not be much, especially if it's the kind of sad where even an in-person hug would be utterly useless, and further depending on your opinions on hugs). I hope yours is a good summer, and that what you've learned this semester comes in handy down the line.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29764 on: May 10, 2011, 08:32:28 pm »

The sky everything is a scary yellow color.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29765 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »

The sky everything is a scary yellow color.

Oh, fun. Watch out for wild tornadoes. I'm told they frequent such regions, though that may be a myth since I've still never seen one.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29766 on: May 10, 2011, 08:45:45 pm »

So today the following happened in order:
1. I was horribly ill, and puked my breakfast up. I had trouble holding down my lunch but I managed it.
2. My brother announced that a friend of his had committed suicide, In very dick-like circumstances.
3. I discovered the two nasty boils I've suddenly developed, which are chafing quite badly. My mother thinks I've developed a staph infection, and that I'm going to need antibiotics... Here's the funny part, I'm already on antibiotics (for acme issues to make things doubly ironic ::)), so I'll need another form of antibiotics on top of that.
4. A friend disowned me about an incident that happened months ago.
5. My new kitten finally got into a nasty scrap with our older cat (the older cat has had it in for the new kitten since we got her, but to date she'd never managed to actually hurt the kitten). She has a nasty cut on her flank, there was a tiny bit of blood but it seems to be alright now.

Funny thing is, I'm not actually sad, I just sort of have a feeling of "meh, that's life". Maybe it's just shock... but it was only just five minutes ago I thought about it and realized that it's actually been a pretty crappy day.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29767 on: May 10, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

Trying to get SimEarth to work on an Amiga emulator sucks.  It always crashes, which sucks because it seems a lot better than DOS SimEarth.  The only big flaw with Amiga (Other than crashing) is that it doesn't allow multiple draggable windows, which makes switching between map and edit mode a chore.

Amiga's graphics are a thousand times better.  Amiga's tectonics system appears to be a thousand times better.  One of the big problems I have with DOS is that the Earth is covered in tiny round plates and any continents are pretty much immediately ripped apart by tectonic motion.  This doesn't seem to happen in Amiga.  Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.  Next time I play I'm going to see if there's anyway to make the plates larger and less crazy.  I'm thinking I'll see what earthquakes can do for tectonic motion.  Make some mid-ocean ridges and the like, see what happens.
Shoes...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #29768 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:53 pm »

I'm worried my biggest fear as of late is coming true. Slowly.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29769 on: May 10, 2011, 09:13:00 pm »

Have an Internet hug, for whatever that's worth (which may well not be much, especially if it's the kind of sad where even an in-person hug would be utterly useless, and further depending on your opinions on hugs). I hope yours is a good summer, and that what you've learned this semester comes in handy down the line.

No, internet hugs are great, thanks  :'(

What I've learned this semester is:

I'm not going to get away with skimping on sleep
I'm not going to get away with skimping on food
It'd probably be smarter to exercise more often
It is okay to be as paranoid (and mildly depressed/anxious/low-self-esteemful) as I am, but I should probably go back to taking the vitamins that are supposed to help with that >_>
I should learn material as it comes up
I should start homework as I get it
Hetalia fangirls are really scary
Don't listen to the kyriarchical speakers when it comes to mathematical matters (seriously, no)
If you see Isaac Newton run away really fast
A lot of things about the history of mathematics, abstract algebra, rhetoric, and Russian
Sometimes you just have to keep trying
Having penpals is really cool
I still kick ass at mafia and have somehow remained a legend at it, despite all the fail that happened initially
Planning ahead extensively is extremely overrated
I may not be back to having It, but I've still got it and It is coming back more and more every day (whatever the fuck it was that used to make me really good at math)
I really dislike Disney movies - even their incarnation of my Favorite Book, which I had thought was downright impossible
There is still nothing better than writing on a freshly washed chalkboard
Parfaits are not disgusting
Sometimes you can get away with skipping your week for cleaning the bathroom, provided that you act stressed and nice enough the rest of the time
If any one personality trait ever manages to make me successful in life, it will probably be my stubbornness.

That really isn't too bad, is it =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29770 on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:08 pm »

Oh man, that's a much better list than mine.

Don't procrastinate on applications to important things like grad school or jobs.
Don't take graduate courses during your most stressful semester.
The right subclavian exits the right common carotid, not the brachiocephalic.
Do not fucking procrastinate on applications to important things like grad school or jobs.
Oh man, THAT'S what a sacculus rotundus looks like, I had it all wrong.
Newton may have had some weird ideas, but OH GOD LEIBNIZ what is with this monads shit (I've not studied either of their mathematics in any detail, alas, probably would make a lot more sense and be more interesting).
I'll be damned if this is the best of all possible worlds. Where is my jetski crafted entirely of fudge brownies?
Huh, French musicals aren't bad and goddamn is that an epic coat.
Graduation ceremonies are booooooooring.

Touhou.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:37:33 am by Bauglir »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29771 on: May 10, 2011, 10:00:36 pm »

I have a friend who is living in despair, the likes of which I can barely imagine.  There's times when I honestly envy this friend's life, because as troubled as it's been, it's had ups as well as downs, where mine has so flat.  But it's tearing me to see them this sad, because I can't do anything about it, and I can't say anything that helps, and I can't say anything to prove their fears wrong.  And I'm not going to walk away from them, no matter how little I help.  But I don't know what to do.

I'm not going to get away with skimping on sleep
I'm not going to get away with skimping on food

These are definitely true, and lessons everyone in college must learn.

I like the dichotomy here.  I've always lived by the later of course, but I never really got along that great in school until I started embracing it as a virtue instead of insisting to myself that it's a fault because everyone always said it's supposed to be.  The "as it comes up" lessons I got through about 18 years of schooling without learning, and still got a degree.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29772 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06:28 pm »

@Bauglir: ... I think I approve of your list, especially because I was laughing everywhere.

I like the dichotomy here.  I've always lived by the later of course, but I never really got along that great in school until I started embracing it as a virtue instead of insisting to myself that it's a fault because everyone always said it's supposed to be.  The "as it comes up" lessons I got through about 18 years of schooling without learning, and still got a degree.

Actually, both are to manage stress.  The current edict is "if you're planning this ahead more than a day, you aren't doing enough today."  So, if I just say "okay, gonna come home and goof off a little, but by god this is getting done before I sleep," my life gets a lot easier.  I don't feel like I'm waking up only to the prospect of more work and more stress.

Oh, I should also add to my list:

"A surd is a fancy word for an nth root."

So useless, but so awesome.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29773 on: May 11, 2011, 12:26:04 am »

My eyes are doing that annoying depth perception thing again.  It seems like everything is really far away, but I don't have tunnel vision or anything.  My coordination is off when this happens, and it always seems to happen at the computer.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29774 on: May 11, 2011, 01:31:21 am »

Losing weight thanks to my higher adherence to the Mediterranean diet (in the form of microwaved turkey ham, olive oil, and integral bread)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 8168