Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1977 1978 [1979] 1980 1981 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9495329 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29670 on: May 09, 2011, 07:24:07 am »

Didn't Walt Disney really, really hate Jewish people?
This comes from a smear campaign against him. Not only is there nothing on record that he wrote or said to suggest antisemitism (taking into account the style of the time,) but several of his hand-picked top subordinates were Jews.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29671 on: May 09, 2011, 07:36:38 am »

Kids are a hodgepodge of brilliant insight and cloudcuckooland leaps in logic. I think it's more that they're utterly unfettered by constraints on what is "normal" and still determining how all this seemingly random data they're being given fits together. So they try to fit the data into what models they have to work with. Often they get it wrong, but it makes sense within the framework of what they know.

My 4-year old daughter still hides behind her chair when there's a cartoon monster on the TV screen (like, an utterly unscary cartoon monster -- she's scared because the characters are scared). At the same time, she was coloring a picture of Mickey Mouse and her babysitter said, "Oh, hi Mickey! What do *you* think we should have for a snack?" and my daughter gave her a cold stare like she was an idiot and said flatly, "That's a picture. It doesn't talk."  :P

So seemingly logically inconsistent (realizing that one thing is make-believe but not another) but as I said, I don't think it's that she's scared of the monster in the cartoon, she's scared because she sees others being scared. I guess my point is that children dont necessarily learn things in the same way as adults. Instead of using prior knowledge as a foundation for logical thought, they sorta plug new information at random into prior models. If they get what seems like a good fit, they go with it. If they're corrected or discover that their model isn't consistent, they either:
1. Switch to a different model (often seamlessly, and in a matter of seconds)
2. Ask for additional information ("Why?")
3. Handwave the inconsistencies away ("That's because he's a MAGIC robot. Duh.")

She also announced that she wants to be an eyeball for Halloween, and doesn't understand why her mother and I think that is the most awesome thing we've ever heard.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29672 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:35 am »

Kids are a hodgepodge of brilliant insight and cloudcuckooland leaps in logic.

I wouldn't be saying that stuff. I grew out of the whole "childish imaginary" phase when I was about 8.

I also grew strong political beliefs around that time, too. Also, I never really thought cartoons were real. Well, I probably did at one stage, I just have forgotten about it.

[EDIT] I'm sad because I don't really see what's worth living for anymore. I'm depressed again. Fan-fucking-tastic.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:06:23 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29673 on: May 09, 2011, 08:35:44 am »

Ugh. Shopping. 3 miles through the blazing sunlight, uphill both ways.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29674 on: May 09, 2011, 09:30:32 am »

Ugh. Shopping. 3 miles through the blazing sunlight, uphill both ways.
I'm planning on walking home after finishing my final finals. It's five miles through hilly terrain and little tree cover as it's mostly beside a highway. I'm gonna do this for fun. Don't fret over it too much, it'll be over before you know it. May want to bring an MP3 player.

Shopping I understand though. Bastards don't have enough benches in the stories despite customers spending an hour just standing. Walking is fine, but just standing is terrible.

Also this child understanding conversation is harkening me back to my Psych 101 class and the chapters on child development and the theories behind the different facets like mental, moral and emotional development. May want to look up Erikson and Kohlberg.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:32:43 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29675 on: May 09, 2011, 09:32:05 am »

I was done with it by the time I posted that.

Also, my MP3 player's broken. Bollocks.

Also also, I was going by bike.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #29676 on: May 09, 2011, 09:40:16 am »

My damn mouse is crapping out on me. It keeps double clicking for no reason.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29677 on: May 09, 2011, 09:41:27 am »

My damn mouse is crapping out on me. It keeps double clicking for no reason.
I HATE mouse issues!

Nothing makes me go more berserk.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29678 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:11 am »

As I see it, kids are just as smart as their grown-up counterparts. They have less knowledge and experience, but that does not make them dumb, just naive. If anything, children are better at learning and sucking up messages, since that's basically all they do.

These kids be made for watching, yo.

This is actually relevant to something that I said earlier...

Actually they believe that raping any kind of virgin can cure AIDS.

Wow! They're really fucking stupid!
Yes, clearly they are mentally inferior to the civilized peoples of the world.  It has nothing to do with lingering superstitions (and/or superstition-prone institutions?) and dismally poor education. ::)

Since people in backward parts of the world have poor systems of childhood education they are functionally, even if not inherently, stupid as effectively all learning therefore has to be done in adulthood after the capacity to learn has naturally begun to atrophy.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29679 on: May 09, 2011, 10:07:13 am »

Didn't Walt Disney really, really hate Jewish people?
This comes from a smear campaign against him. Not only is there nothing on record that he wrote or said to suggest antisemitism (taking into account the style of the time,) but several of his hand-picked top subordinates were Jews.

Additionally, and don't quote me on this, but I think I heard that he actually recieved some kind of commendation from the US government for the unusually large amount of anti-nazi stuff that his studio produced during WWII.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29680 on: May 09, 2011, 10:21:11 am »

Oh god not another depression spiral...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29681 on: May 09, 2011, 10:21:53 am »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29682 on: May 09, 2011, 10:23:26 am »

Damnit, don't post images people are likely to click...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29683 on: May 09, 2011, 11:29:32 am »

Also this child understanding conversation is harkening me back to my Psych 101 class and the chapters on child development and the theories behind the different facets like mental, moral and emotional development. May want to look up Erikson and Kohlberg.

Yeah, and Piaget, I know.

Honestly, though, the conclusion we've arrived at nowadays is "they thought kids were a lot dumber than they actually are and are incorrect about these notions of discrete stages."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29684 on: May 09, 2011, 02:40:36 pm »

SHit. Fuck damn crap.

I messed around with the registry and had to reinstall windows afterwards.
Pages: 1 ... 1977 1978 [1979] 1980 1981 ... 8168