Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9495150 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29640 on: May 08, 2011, 11:03:09 pm »

Vector, why are you torturing yourself with Disney movies? You know they're about 30% watered down story and 70% made up stuff that makes no sense. (I was considering going over 100% with music, but I was afraid you'd beat me for it.)

I thought it would be at least a little bit good, seeing as it has so many fanboys who go "OMFG it is better than the original novel."

I enjoyed this less than Plan Nine from Outer Space.

It also made less sense.  I preferred the Frollo that flagellated himself and went prematurely bald.  He had personality.  And the Quasimodo who was really, really ugly, who had developed a little bit of an ugly personality to boot.  And... moral gray zones.

That's what I miss most of all.

Gray zones of morality.

*fountains of tears*

Yeah, but I've gotta agree with maximunzero. What did you expect after they cut the amateur foot surgery scene out of Cinderella and cut the soullessness, and reverse faustian compacts and the human sacrifice powered magic and the sisyphean "daughters of the air" ending from The Little Mermaid
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29641 on: May 08, 2011, 11:15:13 pm »

True story: Walt Disney had a master plan for world domination which involved sending to concentration camps anyone unable to sing.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29642 on: May 08, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

True story: Walt Disney had a master plan for world domination which involved sending to concentration camps anyone unable to sing.

Cuteness Uber Alles
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29643 on: May 08, 2011, 11:19:47 pm »

His employees also enjoyed putting small rodents on turntables and shoving them off of icy cliffs.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29644 on: May 08, 2011, 11:22:27 pm »

Didn't Walt Disney really, really hate Jewish people?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29645 on: May 08, 2011, 11:24:12 pm »

According to some of the animation clips I saw in my 3D Animation class (we were doing stop motion,) he hated pretty much everyone who was a non-WASP.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29646 on: May 08, 2011, 11:28:34 pm »

According to some of the animation clips I saw in my 3D Animation class (we were doing stop motion,) he hated pretty much everyone who was a non-WASP.

In my opinion that's actually better than specifically hating jewish people, because hating all non-WASPs is only one step away from hating absolutely everybody and therefore not being racially or religiously (etc. etc.) prejudiced.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29647 on: May 08, 2011, 11:30:25 pm »

Hate's bad.  There's no more bad or less bad.  You hate people, that's bad.
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29648 on: May 08, 2011, 11:34:48 pm »

Indeedy.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29649 on: May 08, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »

That's what I'm saying. If we define the negative quality of "hate" as corresponding to a fixed level of badness, then a person who hates everyone is better than a person who specifically hates jews (or blacks, or women or whomever) because the person who hates everybody does not also posess the additional negative quality of "religious (or racial or sexual or whatever) prejudice".
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29650 on: May 08, 2011, 11:37:46 pm »

That's what I'm saying. If we define the negative quality of "hate" as corresponding to a fixed level of badness, then a person who hates everyone is better than a person who specifically hates jews (or blacks, or women or whomever) because the person who hates everybody does not also posess the additional negative quality of "religious (or racial or sexual or whatever) prejudice".

I believe that the gist of Cthulhu's minimalist logic is that 'badness' is binary. Bad, and not bad. Not additive or quantitative, or measurable.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29651 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:18 pm »

These types of conversations always make me happy that I'm biologically incapable of hating someone because of their race. It does have drawbacks, mind you, but still. Not knowing otherwise, it's probably worth it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29652 on: May 08, 2011, 11:41:58 pm »

How are you biologically incapable of hating someone because of their race?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29653 on: May 08, 2011, 11:43:07 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63172.msg1510019#msg1510019

tl;dr: I have associative agnosia. I cannot tell people apart from my reflection in the mirror, which is essentially a featureless mannequin unless I focus really hard. This also applies to objects that look similar and have a similar function, such as cans, boxes, pens vs pencils, forks vs spoons, cars, etc. The only nonessential detail I get is upon focusing on the object or person in question, and even then it's very mentally draining and I have a hard time remembering it anyway.

Do you realize how hard that makes it to shop for specific foods!?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:54:56 pm by MaximumZero »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29654 on: May 08, 2011, 11:49:06 pm »

Didn't Walt Disney really, really hate Jewish people?
Note to self: don't point out the irony to my girlfriend.
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 8168