Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1970 1971 [1972] 1973 1974 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494530 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29565 on: May 07, 2011, 11:47:49 pm »

I wouldn't say that I'm anywhere near any kind of breaking point. These are just my musings on my life. I have outlets in the form of my Table Tennis hobby, which I am getting quite good at, with me finally getting a grasp on looping and counter-looping. I also have my anime watching hobby, my mafia games, my frequent daydreaming, and my schoolwork that keep me content and my mind off my self-contrived problems.

Please don't think I'm in any dire emotional peril at the moment, because I'm not.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29566 on: May 07, 2011, 11:50:10 pm »

While I am personally a person very content with their life, and possessing of a future I'm looking forward to, I do occasionally find myself malcontent. I thought I'd take a moment to contemplate why this is so.

Generally, my mind sums it up as me being a creature trapped in a cage made of my own practical rationale. I feel that I've trained myself to instinctively pursue the least risky course of action in any given scenario, and I feel that I'm suffering seriously because of this.

What I mean is, I feel constrained and imprisoned, not because of any outside force, but because I am compelled to be a quiet, logical, tactful human being through years and years of mentally torturous self-flagellation, to train myself to never err from that path that guarantees tangible, quantifiable success. Any emotion I might have, no matter how strong, is kept safely tucked away so that it will never interfere with my life choices.

An example will work wonders: I'm a handsome, charismatic man. Women are interested in me, and me in them. Whenever I think to even talk to a woman, the part of my brain that controls decisions I make steps in, and goes "Wait! Hold up Josh! Even thinking about entering a relationship at this present point in time is a disastrously bad idea. If I allow this, that woman will shake your life apart. and you don't want that. You're on the straight and narrow Josh, you're succeeding, you don't need a female companion right now. The wisest choice you can make right now is to finish your schooling, obtain a reliable income and housing, become situated with yourself living alone, and then pursue a relationship. We can make this work Josh, just be patient."

And while yes, my inner reasoning voice is extremely verbose, I'm inclined to believe it completely. However, I often feel glum and sullen, as there are actually very few women that I find attractive, and so when I do come across one, and my inner reasoning yanks my leash, I feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot.

Often, I feel as though I am a demon, living as an evil person on the inside, but acting as an altruist on the outside. I am often furiously angry with my fellow man, but not an ounce of this anger shows. When confronted with a problem, I just want to lash out violently at it's perpetrator, as though I were a beastly thug, but my reasoning forces me to act tactfully, as though I were a diplomat. Most people would consider this a positive trait, but I feel that I'm just mentally gaming my fellow human beings into approving of me, of thinking of me as a nice person they can rely on, when in reality I think so poorly of them and would like to tell them what I really thought.

Sometimes, I feel as though I sometimes go stir crazy inside my own head. I obsessively think of past times I've been wronged, and then it's as though I'm there again, and I want to choose the violent, impulsive, animalistic approach, as opposed to the sane, diplomatic way I handle everything. I work myself into such a frenzy at times, that I am flushed in the face and dizzy in the head, and I need to seclude myself in order regain composure.

I suppose, my problem is that I feel like I don't belong in modern society, that while I maintain my charade of humility and peacefulness at the present time, that I'm destined to become a savage and incorrigible person that can't live around other people.

My thoughts here are somewhat scattered, so I hope that my meaning is somewhat construable.

Wow!

That really sounds A LOT like my own life!

(And that's actually a large part of the reason why Dwarf Fortress appeals to me, it is an unusually good cathartic outlet for excess rage, mainstream games like Grand Theft Auto or Destroy All Humans aren't nearly violent enough and unlike DF adventure mode their fixed plotlines do not actually allow the player to destroy all humans. I've also joined the world's most flagrantly half-assed, radically agnostic "doomsday-cult" (the same one I mentioned in my earlier post), which I think has also been an ironically good outlet)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:57:06 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29567 on: May 07, 2011, 11:53:10 pm »

What I mean is, I feel constrained and imprisoned, not because of any outside force, but because I am compelled to be a quiet, logical, tactful human being through years and years of mentally torturous self-flagellation, to train myself to never err from that path that guarantees tangible, quantifiable success. Any emotion I might have, no matter how strong, is kept safely tucked away so that it will never interfere with my life choices.

Often, I feel as though I am a demon, living as an evil person on the inside, but acting as an altruist on the outside. I am often furiously angry with my fellow man, but not an ounce of this anger shows. When confronted with a problem, I just want to lash out violently at it's perpetrator, as though I were a beastly thug, but my reasoning forces me to act tactfully, as though I were a diplomat. Most people would consider this a positive trait, but I feel that I'm just mentally gaming my fellow human beings into approving of me, of thinking of me as a nice person they can rely on, when in reality I think so poorly of them and would like to tell them what I really thought.

I honesty can't relate to the fixation on material or stability, since I've never had any real desire for anything but satisfaction.  Stability or success is just a means to have free time to pursue other things I want.  But I can relate to the rest of your attitude.  My fear has never been material loss, but failure itself.  I turn around from starting relationships because I don't want to go through being shot down; I didn't give up on college, whatever other ideas I might have had, because I didn't want to disappoint my family or lose the opportunity to finish; I turn down long-shot adventures to get a job in a far off place, because I don't want to be stranded there and hate where I am, even though I already hate where I am.

And it extends into my anger management.  People who've ridden in my car know just how angry I can get at people I don't know when I can yell at them without them knowing it, and those people who've ridden with me don't know the half of it, when I'm alone.  But I never lash out, I never get in anyone's face.  I get snarky and a little bitter at times, but I always try to check myself, because I know from experience that passive-aggressive douchebaggery just makes things worse.  I sometimes find myself thinking I should actually confront someone, not violently of course but just exert some verbal presence and make clear what's ticking me off.  Some of it's just that I want to prove to myself that I've got some spine, and some of it's because I think sometimes people need to be confronted so they'll stop doing something they have to know is angering me.

But I never do it, because I don't want to cause a scene or be known as an angry, confrontational person.  Indeed, I don't want to be an angry confrontational person, even if I'm the only one who knows it.  The irony is, people who hang around me even at my most controlled and managed still get the sense that I could snap at any minute (which I never have), and that really does worry me.  I've gotten a lot better about just not thinking about stuff.  But there's still anger, and jealousy, and all the other natural human foibles.  Sometimes I wonder if everybody has the same kind of stuff bottled up inside, or if I really am worse than other people.  I don't think it matters, but it's on my mind.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:55:06 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29568 on: May 07, 2011, 11:58:49 pm »

I wouldn't say that I'm anywhere near any kind of breaking point. These are just my musings on my life. I have outlets in the form of my Table Tennis hobby, which I am getting quite good at, with me finally getting a grasp on looping and counter-looping. I also have my anime watching hobby, my mafia games, my frequent daydreaming, and my schoolwork that keep me content and my mind off my self-contrived problems.

Please don't think I'm in any dire emotional peril at the moment, because I'm not.
I don't judge over the internet, bro. Well, stupidity, yes. But not emotional states.

Talking about it is good. Finding an outlet for such feelings is better. Eventually not feeling them is the best.

But sometimes they don't ever fully go away, so it's just good to distract if you can't place a finger on or confront the source of it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29569 on: May 07, 2011, 11:58:59 pm »

I also find that listening to Heavy-Metal music helps, especially stuff by GWAR
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29570 on: May 08, 2011, 12:03:42 am »

Exam stress.

Gotta study, study, study.

And you know what that means?  FRENCH ROCK OPERA
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29571 on: May 08, 2011, 12:07:13 am »

I'm a pretty serious-looking person almost all the time.  My emotions don't really range much and I don't usually have inner emotions much either besides anxiety and relief.  The only real thing I do is have an out-burst of laughter at something I find funny or make a wry smile when I'm nervous.  Then my face snaps back, phoomp.

Like you Josh, I like to muse to myself at times too and whenever I do I always end pretty unsatisfied if it's musing about oneself.  Musing about oneself is never good for me.  Thinking about other stuff is usually fine though.  I like getting good ideas and getting lost in my head for a minute or two.  You kinda forget the world around you.

Also, damn my nose still smells that fog machine fog at the prom that reminds me of playing laser tag.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29572 on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:44 am »

One of my famed monk teachers loved to say thus:

"When I think about myself, I just get depressed."

So I challenged him with, "when I think about the state of the world, I get depressed".

And he replied, "when I think about myself in relation to the universe, I am infinitely happy".

So I contemplated my relation to the entirety of the universe and I found my petty troubles full of bullshit. :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29573 on: May 08, 2011, 12:15:27 am »

So I contemplated my relation to the entirety of the universe and I found my petty troubles full of bullshit. :P

Wish I could do this.  I'm not there quite yet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29574 on: May 08, 2011, 12:18:51 am »

While I am personally a person very content with their life, and possessing of a future I'm looking forward to, I do occasionally find myself malcontent. I thought I'd take a moment to contemplate why this is so.

Generally, my mind sums it up as me being a creature trapped in a cage made of my own practical rationale. I feel that I've trained myself to instinctively pursue the least risky course of action in any given scenario, and I feel that I'm suffering seriously because of this.

An example will work wonders: I'm a handsome, charismatic man. Women are interested in me, and me in them. Whenever I think to even talk to a woman, the part of my brain that controls decisions I make steps in, and goes "Wait! Hold up Josh! Even thinking about entering a relationship at this present point in time is a disastrously bad idea. If I allow this, that woman will shake your life apart. and you don't want that. You're on the straight and narrow Josh, you're succeeding, you don't need a female companion right now. The wisest choice you can make right now is to finish your schooling, obtain a reliable income and housing, become situated with yourself living alone, and then pursue a relationship. We can make this work Josh, just be patient."

And while yes, my inner reasoning voice is extremely verbose, I'm inclined to believe it completely. However, I often feel glum and sullen, as there are actually very few women that I find attractive, and so when I do come across one, and my inner reasoning yanks my leash, I feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot.

Sometimes, I feel as though I sometimes go stir crazy inside my own head. I obsessively think of past times I've been wronged, and then it's as though I'm there again, and I want to choose the violent, impulsive, animalistic approach, as opposed to the sane, diplomatic way I handle everything. I work myself into such a frenzy at times, that I am flushed in the face and dizzy in the head, and I need to seclude myself in order regain composure.

I suppose, my problem is that I feel like I don't belong in modern society, that while I maintain my charade of humility and peacefulness at the present time, that I'm destined to become a savage and incorrigible person that can't live around other people.

My thoughts here are somewhat scattered, so I hope that my meaning is somewhat construable.

Wow!

That really sounds A LOT like my own life!

And now that I come to think of it your photo even looks vaguely similar.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29575 on: May 08, 2011, 12:27:38 am »

Wish I could do this.  I'm not there quite yet.

It's partially a joke, because honestly, I'm not completely there either. Obviously.

But I've had glimpses into that lasting happiness - and helping others in the ways that I can makes me happy and strengthens my understanding of this silly universe we find ourselves in. When I feel down, I just remember what I learned and slog on. Developing courage, wisdom, discipline, strength in myself is pretty much the reason I'm still alive.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29576 on: May 08, 2011, 01:07:22 am »

Personally I've always exclusively equated [being a woman] with the absence of the "Y" chromosome.
Which also means you are restricting someone from being a gender just because they are born a certain way.
I may be reading this incorrectly, but did iceball3 just tell Bohandas that he was restricting someone from being a female because they were born as male? There's surgery for that, but generally someone who is male is not female.

I am sad today because I am really, really, tired and I shouldn't be. Darn you, exercise! It's the best time of the year for frolicking, and now I can't because I can barely walk. (Running, lifting, etc.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29577 on: May 08, 2011, 01:11:39 am »

Personally I've always exclusively equated [being a woman] with the absence of the "Y" chromosome.
Which also means you are restricting someone from being a gender just because they are born a certain way.
I may be reading this incorrectly, but did iceball3 just tell Bohandas that he was restricting someone from being a female because they were born as male? There's surgery for that, but generally someone who is male is not female.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29578 on: May 08, 2011, 01:14:57 am »

You seem to not understand the difference between sex and gender.

You, too, are recommended to read the essays I recommended upthread.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29579 on: May 08, 2011, 01:39:27 am »

You seem to not understand the difference between sex and gender.
Hey now, there's no need to make unwarranted conjectures about my knowledge. I know the difference perfectly well, I just read it incorrectly, it seems. It doesn't exactly help that gender is both a psychological term and a physical aspect of a human. I read it as the wrong one.

I'd put this in the happy thread if it wouldn't be a huge non-sequitur: I just applied something from my Psychology and Interpersonal Communications classes! From Psychology: I recognized that I was becoming defensive because 'you' is an aggressive word. From InterComms: knowledge of gender as a learned trait and a physical trait. I thought I'd never use this crap.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 1970 1971 [1972] 1973 1974 ... 8167