Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1969 1970 [1971] 1972 1973 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494658 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29550 on: May 07, 2011, 10:07:50 pm »

I read back a few pages just now.

Vector, Dunno what to say other then I wish you well. I'm not good with this sorta stuff but you sound like you could use the support. I loathe people like your ex-friend and ex-boyfriend...

Every little bit helps.

Thank you.  I'm getting better, day by day, but sometimes there's little windows when I still need some help to keep me standing--so I really appreciate it that you all come by to help me on those days.  They make my life so very, very much better.

So... again, thank you, and everyone else, thank you as well.  I can't put my gratitude into words.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29551 on: May 07, 2011, 10:11:10 pm »

I'm a "real woman," no matter what anyone says.  I'm tired of being hurt like this.

It sounds like they deserve each other?

And "real woman" is a term I've always equated with strength of will and spirit, which flaunting tends to indicate a lack of.  So you win.

Really? Personally I've always exclusively equated it with the absence of the "Y" chromosome.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #29552 on: May 07, 2011, 10:14:27 pm »

I'm a "real woman," no matter what anyone says.  I'm tired of being hurt like this.

And "real woman" is a term I've always equated with strength of will and spirit, which flaunting tends to indicate a lack of.  So you win.
Really? Personally I've always exclusively equated it with the absence of the "Y" chromosome.
Which also means you are restricting someone from being a gender just because they are born a certain way.
Bleh.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29553 on: May 07, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »

I offer whatever tiny bit of support I can over the internet, since you say it helps. Good luck, and it is good to hear that this isn't weighing you down and you are dealing with it.

Also, what makes me sad today is that my sister's having a lot of abdominal pain. This is worrisome because she recently had to have an abortion (incidentally, the fact that none of you know who I am is the only reason I trust you with this information), and I fear there may have been something that's gone wrong. Also, there is rage about HR 3, and I've made my position on that as clear to everyone I can reach, but... grah.

EDIT: I forgot a fairly important... whatever part of grammar "who" is. Fixed now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:27:06 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29554 on: May 07, 2011, 10:24:06 pm »

Which also means you are restricting someone from being a gender just because they are born a certain way.
Bleh.

Both of you should read Judith Butler's Gender Trouble, after reading Gayle Rubin's Traffic in Women.  It'd be good for you.

Also, Bauglir, thank you--and I hope your sister feels better soon.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29555 on: May 07, 2011, 10:28:49 pm »

Also, Bauglir, thank you--and I hope your sister feels better soon.

I, too. Thanks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29556 on: May 07, 2011, 10:34:57 pm »

Bleh.

Gender is an illusion. There is only biological sex. (Morphological sex is an illusion too, BTW)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:41:01 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29557 on: May 07, 2011, 10:36:52 pm »

Both of you should read Judith Butler's Gender Trouble, after reading Gayle Rubin's Traffic in Women.  It'd be good for you.

Wow you have no idea how Annoying it is to find that the city Library doesn't have books you want.

Edit-Figure of speech is likely full of fail.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29558 on: May 07, 2011, 10:38:58 pm »

I wish this whole town would go in a blaze of fire. Everything gone, just a black spot for urban legends to form around. The bricks of the school and the bakery still stand, the rest of the wood buildings burnt to shit and unrecognizable. Or I could move away from the bitch who brought me into this world and shit would be so cash.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29559 on: May 07, 2011, 10:39:20 pm »

Gender is an illusion. There is only biological sex.

By what seems like your definition, everything is an illusion.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29560 on: May 07, 2011, 10:48:50 pm »

I'm going to say this now, and I apologize for contributing to a derail, but I have a pretty strong distaste for dismissing concepts as illusions so easily. If its a concept that has validity, it's not an illusion, even if the concept's definition needs to be adjusted to fit new data. Given the emphasis current society places on mental identity, it's vital to have a concept of gender besides a concept of physical biological sex, especially given that genders can vary independent of sex. Even if a person doesn't identify with any particular gender, it's important that the concept exist because it allows for people to express thoughts and feelings that would otherwise be inexpressable or earn social ridicule from people who don't believe it's true (because it's not a concept they can imagine).

You could make an argument about the inherent abstract nature of any social construct, but if you want to do that you need a better word than illusion (which implies a falsity and lack of worth that shouldn't be given here).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:52:00 pm by Bauglir »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29561 on: May 07, 2011, 11:13:09 pm »

I'm going to say this now, and I apologize for contributing to a derail, but I have a pretty strong distaste for dismissing concepts as illusions so easily. If its a concept that has validity, it's not an illusion, even if the concept's definition needs to be adjusted to fit new data. Given the emphasis current society places on mental identity, it's vital to have a concept of gender besides a concept of physical biological sex, especially given that genders can vary independent of sex. Even if a person doesn't identify with any particular gender, it's important that the concept exist because it allows for people to express thoughts and feelings that would otherwise be inexpressable or earn social ridicule from people who don't believe it's true (because it's not a concept they can imagine).

You could make an argument about the inherent abstract nature of any social construct, but if you want to do that you need a better word than illusion (which implies a falsity and lack of worth that shouldn't be given here).

In my defense I am of the philosophical/religious(?*) belief that it is every person's right as a person to construct their own illusions, as this is the only defense against the facing the true horror of reality. I do not, however, believe that anybody has the obligation to play along. I'm not Sancho Panza!

But I have to say that I guess my real problem with it is that I'm sick of is people callously and willfully abusing old terminology (such as "man", and "woman") to describe totally new concepts that have only the most tenuous of relationships at best. If gender is a seperate entity than it should get its own damn seperate terminology! I have the same problem with american "football", much of the terminology used in quantum chromodynamics, and many of the technical biological (ab)uses of terms borrowed from mythology (especially "dwarf"!!!).

*Does a religion still count as a religion if most of its pantheon is conspicuously fabricated and its legendary founder is openly described as "a comicbook character" in the 'faith'(?)'s** own holy texts

**Come to think of it, I think that this may be another one of those cases wherein new terminology is warranted

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:21:01 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29562 on: May 07, 2011, 11:20:26 pm »

Can we keep the Baudrillard and Derrida out of this thread?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29563 on: May 07, 2011, 11:27:19 pm »

While I am personally a person very content with their life, and possessing of a future I'm looking forward to, I do occasionally find myself malcontent. I thought I'd take a moment to contemplate why this is so.

Generally, my mind sums it up as me being a creature trapped in a cage made of my own practical rationale. I feel that I've trained myself to instinctively pursue the least risky course of action in any given scenario, and I feel that I'm suffering seriously because of this.

What I mean is, I feel constrained and imprisoned, not because of any outside force, but because I am compelled to be a quiet, logical, tactful human being through years and years of mentally torturous self-flagellation, to train myself to never err from that path that guarantees tangible, quantifiable success. Any emotion I might have, no matter how strong, is kept safely tucked away so that it will never interfere with my life choices.

An example will work wonders: I'm a handsome, charismatic man. Women are interested in me, and me in them. Whenever I think to even talk to a woman, the part of my brain that controls decisions I make steps in, and goes "Wait! Hold up Josh! Even thinking about entering a relationship at this present point in time is a disastrously bad idea. If I allow this, that woman will shake your life apart. and you don't want that. You're on the straight and narrow Josh, you're succeeding, you don't need a female companion right now. The wisest choice you can make right now is to finish your schooling, obtain a reliable income and housing, become situated with yourself living alone, and then pursue a relationship. We can make this work Josh, just be patient."

And while yes, my inner reasoning voice is extremely verbose, I'm inclined to believe it completely. However, I often feel glum and sullen, as there are actually very few women that I find attractive, and so when I do come across one, and my inner reasoning yanks my leash, I feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot.

Often, I feel as though I am a demon, living as an evil person on the inside, but acting as an altruist on the outside. I am often furiously angry with my fellow man, but not an ounce of this anger shows. When confronted with a problem, I just want to lash out violently at it's perpetrator, as though I were a beastly thug, but my reasoning forces me to act tactfully, as though I were a diplomat. Most people would consider this a positive trait, but I feel that I'm just mentally gaming my fellow human beings into approving of me, of thinking of me as a nice person they can rely on, when in reality I think so poorly of them and would like to tell them what I really thought.

Sometimes, I feel as though I sometimes go stir crazy inside my own head. I obsessively think of past times I've been wronged, and then it's as though I'm there again, and I want to choose the violent, impulsive, animalistic approach, as opposed to the sane, diplomatic way I handle everything. I work myself into such a frenzy at times, that I am flushed in the face and dizzy in the head, and I need to seclude myself in order regain composure.

I suppose, my problem is that I feel like I don't belong in modern society, that while I maintain my charade of humility and peacefulness at the present time, that I'm destined to become a savage and incorrigible person that can't live around other people.

My thoughts here are somewhat scattered, so I hope that my meaning is somewhat construable.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29564 on: May 07, 2011, 11:31:31 pm »

Josh, it's good to find some sort of outlet before you explode.

Mental, physical, exercise, creative, artistic, friends, sex, etc...

From my own experience, and witnessing others', internalising those sorts of feelings builds up into a breaking point.
Pages: 1 ... 1969 1970 [1971] 1972 1973 ... 8167