Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1934 1935 [1936] 1937 1938 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427237 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29025 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:06 pm »

Implying context while leaving details to the imagination is sometimes the worst thing you can do
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29026 on: April 29, 2011, 08:17:56 pm »

If it's really that bad, you have a strange imagination.

I'm sad because JADE will never be released  :'(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:47:20 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29027 on: April 29, 2011, 09:00:21 pm »

I know you don't view people as things to operate and make use of, so why would you treat them that way in communication?

. . .

Moving right along.  The interesting thing about compassion is that you can train yourself to display it in a basically natural manner--because as a matter of fact, it's way more useful to act compassionate than it is not to.

I can love some people, and it's easy to feel things for them.  There are some situations I can empathize with.  But most... I ask myself for an emotional response, and I get nothing.  That is why I act so compassionate here and reply to a lot of posts with encouraging messages or compliments.  Partially because people being sad and alone is a bad thing, and partially because I need the practice.

If that means taking time to organize your thoughts, or reaching out with some empathy to gauge your conversational partner's opinions and interests, go for it.

Allow me to make this clear.

When I think about the relationship between the kids and the trolls in Homestuck, what I see is two concentric squares.

When I think about unsweetened chocolate with soymilk, the first thing that comes to mind when describing the taste is that "it smells beige."

There are other concepts buried so deeply within my brain that I cannot describe them in normal language to any satisfaction; logical relationships that I would call "like folding handkerchiefs" or "rotated resonance structures" or "sunk" or "bell-like."  Those are all different, distinct thoughts, by the way, and that doesn't even get into all of the ideas that are just coded in gestures, almost like a sort of mental sign language.

These are not difficulties that can be overcome with a few minutes to clear my thoughts.  An adequate description with "normal" language would likely take me hours to puzzle out with paper and pencil, with numerous diagrams.

As for "reaching out with your empathy," you seem to not understand that I don't have that privilege.  I have enough empathy to try to figure out if some recent event is good or bad for someone, and make a basic attempt at acting correctly (sad or happy).  That is it.  Usually I don't succeed very well at the acting sad or happy part, other than saying "that is unfortunate" or "that is excellent."  It's the best I can do on short notice.

Gauging reactions and interests?

. . . I wish.  Maybe next year.  I can do a little of the interest-gauging, but the reaction-gauging is not something I can do.

Maybe I'm just living a uniquely blessed and charmed existence, because that is exactly the case. I ask questions I wonder about, talk about things I actually have an interest in, and discuss things I feel are important.

Interests: French novels from 1830 through 1950.  Mathematics, to a degree that my fellow math majors don't want to talk to me about it and think I'm kind of weird.  Learning languages, mostly in terms of etymology.  Napoleon.  National anthems.  Disease pathology.  Progressivism.  Cathedrals/Catholicism.  Anime and manga (hate talking about this with most people, because I do not squee or ship).  Philosophy, especially existentialism (also hate talking about this, because I can get more work done on my own and I get tired of explaining).  Floriography.  The semiotics of fashion.  Airplanes.  Literary analysis.  Post-modernist literature.  Mafia.  John Adams.  Piecing together social stuff.  Arguing.

Where by "a bunch of factual data" I meant "obsessive cataloging of information with no idea as to why I'm interested in any of it."

Where by "factual data" I meant from the specific and varied interests above.

I know for a fact that you can talk about more than your major too, so limiting yourself that way makes no sense.

I didn't say "my major," I said "majors."  Because the conversation you learn when you go to university goes like this:

A: Hi, my name is A.
B: [Fuck, why are they talking to me?  Have I done something right?] Nice to meet you, A [smile a little, make eye contact].  I'm B.  [Consider offering hand.  Refrain.  Maybe in a few months we'll have figured that out.]
A: So, B, what's your major?
B: I study Whateverology [smile more, try not to look threatening or stiff.  Prepare for anticipated question].
A: Oh, Whateverology!  I emotion Whateverology.  That's really qualitative description.
B: Yeah, it's qualitative description, but I like it okay anyway.  What are you in? [keep away from discussing Whateverology or why you like Whateverology at all costs, because discussion of emotion is still basically impossible]
A: I'm in...
B: Oh, ...!  How do you like that?  What sorts of stuff do you learn? [we are sure as hell talking about you for the next hour and a half, A, because there's no way I'm going to be doing most of the work here and risk being called a robot AGAIN]

And so on, and so forth.  As you may have guessed, I am B in that conversation because I do not know how to be A.  Also because my thoughts and social programs are written out, and I do not ever know what A is thinking.

I can talk about other things, but this is the only conversation I can have easily that looks like we're sharing.  I'm starting to learn similar interest-sharing conversations now, but it's slow going.

If people aren't receptive to any of my interests, I can either listen to them talk about some of theirs, or if it's really bad just use pleasant stock conversation until I can get my leave on, and get on with looking for people who care.

I don't talk about my interests outside of the classroom because my interests also include "listening to the same song for 10 hours straight while trying to figure out if there's an interesting mathematical identity in tortilla flipping," so when asked about what I did yesterday it's usually safer to say "homework."

The part where you have people receptive to your interests in a degree even approaching yours, the part where you know how to ask questions to keep a conversation going, the part where you can say "just" use "pleasant" stock conversation if it's "really bad" (as opposed to when it's going really well) and leave to look for people who care (because you can tell who cares, and who doesn't) is basically the indication that our experiences are completely different.

The reason why my post was talking about "conversation" was because I was talking about "conversation," not about "chattiness."  But whatever.  That's okay, too.

Got to call you on this. You specifically used the words "chitchatty conversations", which implies talking about the weather or whatever, for the sole purpose of making empty words leave your mouth. Despite what you meant, I only know what you say. Also the snappiness there only hurts your ability to hold a conversation, but you know that already.

I meant conversations where the focus wasn't on me educating someone else, receiving education, or in discussing something with the goal of solving problems.  For me, anything but that is empty and pretty much pointless, outside of some vague goal to have friends someday.  My apologies for using my definitions rather than calibrating them to the accepted neurotypical standard.  I've been slipping a lot recently.

I am snappy because I am extremely frustrated.  I am upset because you can say things like "but you know that already" to undermine my point and delegitimize my difficulties.  I am even more upset because I do not have an ability to explain things in such a way that you will read it and not feel insulted.

So I feel an obligation to shut up so that I won't cause insult yet again, but that results in hurt to me rather than hurt to someone else; and because I can afford a loss of mass face, because I am still currently weighting value(me) == value(not me), because I have judged that you can probably stand to have someone snip at you a little without getting to upset, and because I am tired of saying nothing just because I can't communicate, I'm posting anyway.

So in summary, her social problems are very likely not the same as your social problems, and going from zero to something in a couple years is really as herculean an effort as she says it is. 

Vector, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Thank you.  I do well enough a lot of days that I don't actually feel that something is wrong with me, but there is physical evidence from kindergarten that I had no idea at all what an "angry face" looked like.  I took an elementary exam on recognizing facial expressions two years-ish ago and scored below fifty percent.  I'm guessing I could get 100% on the elementary one now pretty much automatically, but anything much more complicated than that and... no, not really.

So... yeah.  I don't really know what to say otherwise, but thanks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29028 on: April 29, 2011, 09:29:38 pm »

When I think about unsweetened chocolate with soymilk, the first thing that comes to mind when describing the taste is that "it smells beige."
To derail this derail... I think you may or may not be related to Terezi. Tell me, do you have outstanding affection for the color red?

And to re-rail this derail, I had a really cruddy pizza today. The thought that someone could make a 3-meat pizza that tastes like cafeteria food pizza is saddening, if not frightening.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29029 on: April 29, 2011, 09:31:47 pm »

To derail this derail... I think you may or may not be related to Terezi. Tell me, do you have outstanding affection for the color red?

I used to wear read head to foot, but not so much nowadays.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29030 on: April 29, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Well, I've ahd water that tasted green, so I can't say much.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29031 on: April 29, 2011, 09:40:39 pm »

That was a really interesting read, and it doesn't seem I was too far off the mark with my explanation of social difficulties associated with autism (I think).  It's good to know I'm not getting things completely wrong.  I've used roughly the same description a bunch of times, even though I've never been completely sure of it. 

I had an extended such exchange with a guy once who was planning to beat up an autistic classmate on his last day of high school, because he was fed up with constant breaking of basic etiquette.  I managed to completely dissolve that motive.   Lesson:  Arguing on the internet isn't as pointless as people make it out to be!

Anyway, I really want to understand more, if nothing else so that maybe I can figure out how to help my brother who is failing at life pretty drastically right now.   :-\  Can you recommend any reading?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29032 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:43 pm »

Anyway, I really want to understand more, if nothing else so that maybe I can figure out how to help my brother who is failing at life pretty drastically right now.   :-\  Can you recommend any reading?

I'd try posting here.

As you might guess, I've read a lot of social manuals and stuff.  They make me angry because they're usually geared towards neurotypical people (parents), or they'll just say "when a neurotypical person sees something out of the "ordinary" they have a bad feeling about it," because that doesn't explain the why I'd like to have.  Or they'll make the person reading them feel really bad.

So, er... I hear that there are some good books by Temple Grandin, and you might find Born on a Blue Day good to read.  I could probably also email you the (brief, 11-page, slightly rhetoric-course-flavored) autism infopacket I gave to my class, if you PM me your address and are willing to wait a little while.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29033 on: April 29, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »

they'll just say "when a neurotypical person sees something out of the "ordinary" they have a bad feeling about it," because that doesn't explain the why I'd like to have.

Fear of the unknown. It's beyond our narrow range of experience, so we fear it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29034 on: April 29, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »

My laptops internet connection seems fucked. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29035 on: April 29, 2011, 11:28:13 pm »

they'll just say "when a neurotypical person sees something out of the "ordinary" they have a bad feeling about it," because that doesn't explain the why I'd like to have.

Fear of the unknown. It's beyond our narrow range of experience, so we fear it.

Note:  this behavior is not universal.

It also only leads to more why questions, though I suppose this fear can be explained in evolutionary terms.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #29036 on: April 29, 2011, 11:59:37 pm »

So apparently Da KGB have installed keyloggers on my system:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:03:25 am by Taco Dan »
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29037 on: April 30, 2011, 12:03:19 am »

Errm... Yeah... About that...

*Holds gun to Taco Dan's head*

Вы знаете слишком много, товарищ!

Alright, to remain on topic. I feel sad for Taco Dan.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #29038 on: April 30, 2011, 12:08:37 am »

Вы никогда не поймаете меня в живых!

*Leaps out window*
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29039 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:19 am »

Uggh, internet borked, wanted to get soem homework done but I was trying to fix it. Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 1934 1935 [1936] 1937 1938 ... 8167