Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1933 1934 [1935] 1936 1937 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428911 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29010 on: April 29, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »

... I wrote almost all of the information in there, you know =/

There's an interesting paradox between theory and performance.  Given half an hour to think of what to do, I'm usually A-OK.  But I usually don't have half an hour =/  And in the real world, people usually don't want to talk about literary analysis or math.  They seem to want to talk about other, "more important" things.

Meh.  I just run out of energy too quickly now.  A little joking and I'm good for the day, but I can't always get that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:45:17 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29011 on: April 29, 2011, 02:13:04 pm »

Shuttle Endeavor launch has been scrubbed today, and they'll probably be launching it Monday afternoon. Why this also makes me sad is also because I've recently gotten a message from work about a meeting taking place out of town on the same day within the same time frame of the next launch time. This sucks.

EDIT:
What also sucks is that the weather has gotten nicer recently, and it's still scrubbed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:16:03 pm by Itnetlolor »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29012 on: April 29, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »

... I wrote almost all of the information in there, you know =/
I was thinking more about Barbarossa's own insights. Seeing how he seems to be doing fine with his socialization and stuff, he appears to be the person to go to for advice now.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29013 on: April 29, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »

I've already discovered that four short conversations gets me up to "friendly acquaintanceship," but that's already pretty tiring and most of my repetoire is basically bad math jokes and asking about majors.

The thing is that my "trying hard to get along with people" looks like most people's "don't give much of a fuck."  I figure I've made progress if I answer "so, how are you" in a timely manner, rather than just saying "errrrr" as I try to remember the set social response to that, or, worse, say "thank you" because I've vaguely realized that someone just did something for me.

You speak of conversation like it was a simple input-output processes, with stock greetings, questions, and responses. If this is what you try in person, it's no wonder it tires you! As the image macros say, you're doin' it wrong. I know you don't view people as things to operate and make use of, so why would you treat them that way in communication? Unless you have something to say or ask for some reason, it's an empty, mechanical thing, empty of purpose. On the same note, if you want a friend, you do that by expressing interest in who they are. Try talking like you post here, and you'll probably feel like the exchange is more valuable. If that means taking time to organize your thoughts, or reaching out with some empathy to gauge your conversational partner's opinions and interests, go for it.

Yeah, friends are like herds.  Do herds say "come join if you have basically nothing to offer us but a bunch of factual data and a near-endless font of math cultural information?"

Maybe I'm just living a uniquely blessed and charmed existence, because that is exactly the case. I ask questions I wonder about, talk about things I actually have an interest in, and discuss things I feel are important. Clearly everyone I meet aren't going to be receptive to my every interest, so I have a repertoire of them to share situationally, including nature and the environment, physics, space, independent games, foreign films, cooking, dramatic theater, Klezmer music, fantasy novels, and so on. I know for a fact that you can talk about more than your major too, so limiting yourself that way makes no sense. If people aren't receptive to any of my interests, I can either listen to them talk about some of theirs, or if it's really bad just use pleasant stock conversation until I can get my leave on, and get on with looking for people who care.

The reason why my post was talking about "conversation" was because I was talking about "conversation," not about "chattiness."  But whatever.  That's okay, too.

Got to call you on this. You specifically used the words "chitchatty conversations", which implies talking about the weather or whatever, for the sole purpose of making empty words leave your mouth. Despite what you meant, I only know what you say. Also the snappiness there only hurts your ability to hold a conversation, but you know that already.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29014 on: April 29, 2011, 03:34:25 pm »

You speak of conversation like it was a simple input-output processes

The one thing I've come to understand well about autism that most people don't get is that it is actually really really hard for autistics to understand social processes any other way.

You describe socializing as an intuitive and organic process, and that is the way it is... for us... They refer to us as 'neurotypical' because we share a certain commonality in the way we connect with each other that is difficult to describe, because it's like asking a fish to describe water.  Things like the meaning of a smile, a hug, an angry yell, etc come naturally to us.  They are probably the most instinctively understood thing for most human beings.  Even breastfeeding is less instinctive.  Both my kids had weeks of difficulty learning to breastfeed before they understood the process and could do it well...  hospitals even have specialized nurses to help teach kids to breastfeed.  My second kid smiled the day he was born.

These things do not come naturally to an autistic.  Most kids need to be taught the value of sharing, why it's bad to hit, how to be polite, etc.  Autistic children need to be taught the meanings of facial expressions, the value of a hug from a loved one and what they communicate when they shrink from it, how to make use of tone and volume of voice, etc... and they need to be taught these things in a very technical manner, because it just doesn't come to them intuitively.  Learning to translate thoughts into words and body language is even harder.  Some people on the extreme end of the spectrum aren't even able to speak.

So in summary, her social problems are very likely not the same as your social problems, and going from zero to something in a couple years is really as herculean an effort as she says it is. 

Vector, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

On a completely different note -- I'm sad that the weather is "nice" again, which means I have to give myself 25 minutes to make sure I get to work on time, when it's only a 10 minute drive...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

VeriDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29015 on: April 29, 2011, 04:02:34 pm »

I've just went out. Needed to walk the dog.

I saw a dead cat ._. In front of my house.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29016 on: April 29, 2011, 04:27:56 pm »

I've just went out. Needed to walk the dog.

I saw a dead cat ._. In front of my house.
Poor kitteh!

Poor VeriDF!

I'm sad, now.

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29017 on: April 29, 2011, 04:32:35 pm »

What part of "going out and being a social creature" doesn't involve conversation?
:I
Sex?

Also, I'm sad today because the same person I once consoled when he told me that he was contemplating suicide after receiving a bad grades in class is now telling me he is going to go fight a kid who has been been harassing him in class. He may be on the football team but he still lookw pretty unathletic. I'm worried his pride is going to kill him one day. I'm only in highschool, I'm not a psychologist, but it's times like this that makes me wish I was.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:13:21 pm by Heliman »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29018 on: April 29, 2011, 05:29:59 pm »

Blood Bowl decided to see if it could make me quit today.

It failed, but I'm still pissed.  Played some cookie-cutter orc team, threw away the match and a level up by doing a hand-off at the end zone for the free SPP.  Team Rerolls didn't do shit of course, and the ball went off the pitch and was thrown directly at the orcs.

Lost 2-0, didn't make a single casualty.  I hope my next match is against wood elves or Skaven or something, I need to take out my frustration on something that can't fight back.

It succeeded.  I'm going to stay with the Bay12 League assuming it doesn't die like everything else that starts on the internet, but I'm done with public leagues.  Four rerolls, three ones/skulls rerolled as ones/skulls, enemy beastmen passing across the map, minotaurs making every dodge, complete fucking bullshit.

Paragraph 3 was sarcasm.  The only teams anyone plays in public leagues are chaos, khemri, orcs, and undead.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:04:58 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29019 on: April 29, 2011, 07:16:33 pm »

I think I just rubbed some chilli into my... Errr... Bay12 Guideline Breaking parts.

FUCK.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29020 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:30 pm »

FUCK.

That is the last thing you want to do at the moment.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29021 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »

I think I just rubbed some chilli into my... Errr... Bay12 Guideline Breaking parts.

FUCK.
Don't laugh.... Don't laugh...
How did this happen?
Hello Hunam

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29022 on: April 29, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »

FUCK.
Don't laugh.... Don't laugh...
How did this happen?
I was eating chilli tuna and I picked up the large chilli in it with my hands and ate it.

I don't think Toady would be too happy if I said anymore.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29023 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:12 pm »

Angel of Death shall henceforth be known as Lord TMI
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29024 on: April 29, 2011, 08:12:39 pm »

Angel of Death shall henceforth be known as Lord TMI
I haven't given too much information yet!

Pages: 1 ... 1933 1934 [1935] 1936 1937 ... 8167