Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1924 1925 [1926] 1927 1928 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439626 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28875 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:17 am »

... Well, I now feel old as well.  Great.

Doesn't help that they've got all these ads for "Kung Fu Panda 2" on the busses here.  Or that I can actually remember the first time I watched most of the movies on that list.

I miss being younger.  It didn't completely suck, unlike now.

Went to lie down last night because I had a stomach ache.  I slept for 12 hours and enjoyed my recurrent nightmare of being unable to walk.  I've had that dream for what... 5 years now?  At least?

I'm just kind of tired.
Tell you the truth I think you and me are at the pinnacle of our lives. My life is so much better than my previous years, I feel stronger and think more clearly.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28876 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

Well, the truth is that I expect a lot more from myself than what I'm doing right now.  I have to keep fighting to become stronger and stronger, and one of the things I have to do is get over my fear of presenting and public speech--because even if no one else can sense it, I can.

That's going to be exhausting.  My life used to be a lot less exhausting.  I don't even know how, but it really was.  Now, I'm tired all the time and I haven't yet moved from being taken care of my parents to feeling like I'm being taken care of by teachers... I know that's strange, but I've always relied on faculty and so on to give me a feeling of self-worth, and rebuilding the momentum I had when I left feels pretty weird.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28877 on: April 27, 2011, 10:02:10 am »

Well, the truth is that I expect a lot more from myself than what I'm doing right now.  I have to keep fighting to become stronger and stronger, and one of the things I have to do is get over my fear of presenting and public speech--because even if no one else can sense it, I can.

Why does it bother you so much to have a common anxiety?  Supposedly public speaking is the most common "greatest fear" given in surveys.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28878 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:01 am »

I miss being younger.  It didn't completely suck, unlike now.

Just keep in mind, ten years from now you'll be saying the same thing and remembering college wistfully. Then when you're 40 you'll remember your thirties the same way.

It's cliched, but youth really is wasted on the young.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28879 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:17 am »

Why does it bother you so much to have a common anxiety?  Supposedly public speaking is the most common "greatest fear" given in surveys.

Because when I spent 20 minutes or so giving a presentation the other day, I went home, spent 3 hours doing nothing due to exhaustion, and then passed out for 13 hours.  I suspect that has something to do with having been so worked up with fear, or maybe it's just that social effort still takes a disproportionate amount of energy for me.  I don't know, really, but in any case I figure that if I started getting more used to presentation, I might be able to stop passing out like that.

Just keep in mind, ten years from now you'll be saying the same thing and remembering college wistfully. Then when you're 40 you'll remember your thirties the same way.

It's cliched, but youth really is wasted on the young.  :P

Mebbe.  I'm really doing what I can, so... Maybe.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28880 on: April 27, 2011, 12:25:14 pm »

xkcd made me feel sad - and old - today.
Ditto. 'Effing "Little Mermaid".....

EDIT: Sad that SETI had to shut down their radio telescope array due to lack of funding.

If it makes you feel better, The Little Mermaid came out closer to the moon landing than the present day even one day after it happened.
Also, there isn't really anybody still alive from when it came out. :b

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28881 on: April 27, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »

xkcd made me feel sad - and old - today.
Ditto. 'Effing "Little Mermaid".....

EDIT: Sad that SETI had to shut down their radio telescope array due to lack of funding.

If it makes you feel better, The Little Mermaid came out closer to the moon landing than the present day even one day after it happened.
Also, there isn't really anybody still alive from when it came out. :b

Pfft....it specifically said "movies", not "stories". Hans Christian Andersen doesn't count. Besides, he didn't have a Broadway soundtrack and an ethnically stereotypical lobster sidekick.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28882 on: April 27, 2011, 12:44:30 pm »

Man, most of the stuff I watch came out like 30-40 years ago any way. I guess this chart does not effect me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28883 on: April 27, 2011, 01:02:49 pm »

The lobster was an ethnic scrappy? I don't remember that.. For what ethnicity?
Love, scriver~

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28884 on: April 27, 2011, 01:05:43 pm »

Apparantly, Donald Trump is running for president in America.

Jesus... *facepalm*
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28885 on: April 27, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »

Ambiguous Caribbean islander. He had sort of a Jamaican accent.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28886 on: April 27, 2011, 01:08:57 pm »

Jesus... *facepalm*
His platform is being open about saying Islam is a religion of violence and hate.

He ain't gonna get far. Even the average American who has no political affiliations will recognize him on the spot and know he is a corporate asshole. Entertaining to watch, a pain to be under.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #28887 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:24 pm »

Jesus... *facepalm*
His platform is being open about saying Islam is a religion of violence and hate.

He ain't gonna get far. Even the average American who has no political affiliations will recognize him on the spot and know he is a corporate asshole. Entertaining to watch, a pain to be under.

He isn't even a successful corporate asshole, he just happens to be morally bankrupt, rich at the moment (he is between bankruptcies) and a reality tv celebrity... Sounds like Palin has some competition.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28888 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:36 pm »

Ambiguous Caribbean islander. He had sort of a Jamaican accent.

Heh, I can't recall that at all (and I'm pretty sure the Swedish version would've kept this "characterization"), but then again I hardly remember the movie at all. ;)
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28889 on: April 27, 2011, 02:01:20 pm »

Umm... isn't he the leading Republican candidate right now by a fair amount?  And the way things are driven more by party backlash than by actual candidates, doesn't that give him a pretty good chance?

Also
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1924 1925 [1926] 1927 1928 ... 8167