Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1913 1914 [1915] 1916 1917 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446983 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28710 on: April 24, 2011, 09:10:51 pm »

That could've been worse.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28711 on: April 24, 2011, 09:14:42 pm »

Much, much worse.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #28712 on: April 24, 2011, 09:20:00 pm »

I'm already standing up in front of a classroom of neurotypical asshats on Tuesday, showing my neck, and handing them a knife.
Right, and of course you have proof that they are all neurotypical and they are all asshats, yes? Or are you just assuming that all neurotypical people are asshats? I find your statement no different from a man calling all women weak-willed. Not only is he not a member of the group he's targeting, he's making broad and hurtful generalizations. In short, I am shocked and appalled.

I am sad not only because of the specific nature of this wheels-on-ducks-retarded high school drama, but also that I was involved in some in the first place.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28713 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:42 pm »

Right, and of course you have proof that they are all neurotypical and they are all asshats, yes? Or are you just assuming that all neurotypical people are asshats? I find your statement no different from a man calling all women weak-willed. Not only is he not a member of the group he's targeting, he's making broad and hurtful generalizations. In short, I am shocked and appalled.

If they aren't neurotypical, then I've gotten a lot worse at identifying Asperger's traits.  No stimming, no tics, no trouble with word choice, no odd metaphors, no bouncing gait, none of the physical indicators, none of the vocal flatness, none of the oddities in dress I have come to expect.  No accent.  No social faulting.  No obsessions.  No appearance of overloading.  All of them are in a socializing-heavy major, except for me.

I have always been able to pick up autistic students before, but of course I could be wrong.  If I am wrong, then maybe one of them will speak up with me on Tuesday.  That would be nice.

They are asshats because they repeatedly argue that the so-called mentally infirm are "inherently bad" and that "mental illness" is good grounds to condemn anything they don't like.

They are asshats because they argue for stereotypes and racism in media, so long as that media makes children happy.

They are asshats because when I held a negative opinion, they said that I was "depressed" and tried to throw it away.

They are asshats because they are privileged, and their privilege makes them blind to the greater implications of what they are saying.

They are not asshats because they are neurotypical.  They are neurotypical people who happen to generally be semi-nice people with a lot of asshat qualities under the surface, which occasionally come out and make me feel very sick and scared of saying anything.  Their neurotypical privilege may have led to their asshatery, but it is not sufficient that one be neurotypical to imply that one is an asshat.  There are plenty of nice neurotypical people out there, like my rhetoric professor and Rosewood's mother.  They have treated me exceptionally well and given me faith in the world.

You are assuming a logical connection that does not exist and was not even implied.

Also, it would not be like a man saying things about a woman, if I were saying what you seem to think I am saying.  It would be like a woman saying nasty things about men.  They are different sides of a power gradient and have different results when said.

I am tired of you jumping on me.  I want you to stop.  I feel like you are trying to get me back for the "Women in Media" thread, which is understandable, but you are doing it the wrong way.  If you want to hurt me, then you can PM me and call me stupid and socially retarded, if you want.  Accuse me of something real.  Accuse me of something I did.  There's other, easier ways to knock me down.

But you jump on me when I am expressing hurt and fear and emotional weakness and tell me that you are shocked and appalled at things I never said.  You attempt to paint me black with actions I never condoned, using parallel rhetoric and diction to mine, so that you can make yourself look bigger by hurting me with my own attacks.  You attempt to bring me down in order to absolve yourself--or at least, that is what appears to be true from the last sentence of your post just now.

But that is a very hurtful thing to do, and I don't like it very much.  I try very hard to say and do the right things.  When I do wrong things, I try to apologize for them.  I do not like being treated this way at all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28714 on: April 24, 2011, 09:45:22 pm »

If they aren't neurotypical, then I've gotten a lot worse at identifying Asperger's traits.  No stimming, no tics, no trouble with word choice, no odd metaphors, no bouncing gait, none of the physical indicators, none of the vocal flatness, none of the oddities in dress I have come to expect.  No accent.  No social faulting.  No obsessions.  No appearance of overloading.  All of them are in a socializing-heavy major, except for me.

Why are "neurotypical" and "asperger's" the only options? There are plenty of other ways to be atypical.

The rest of your post is pretty well-worded and I can't find anything else to get pedantic about regarding it. Damn!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28715 on: April 24, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »

Graah, you sound exactly like Rachael! Like, using the same words and everything. We had the same argument the other day about sexism, and other crap which eventually devolved into whining about relationships. AGAIN. (Rachael is a friend who actually reminds me a lot of Vector now that I think about it.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28716 on: April 24, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »

Why are "neurotypical" and "asperger's" the only options? There are plenty of other ways to be atypical.

I was speaking specifically to autistic traits in general.  Asperger's is especially important because that is what I theoretically have (and what I will be giving a presentation on), though what I said applies in varying degrees to the entire autism spectrum.  It is very hard to give a speech to a roomful of people about something that they have no personal experience in and which is in a sense defined as a totally fundamental difference in thinking style.  For example, people say "a smile is a piece of language understood around the world," but that is not necessarily so for people with autistic-style troubles.

"Neurotypical" is generally defined as "not autism spectrum."  I am sorry if the wording was confusing.  If I meant simply "atypical" I would have a different case going, because the people are all kind of different in their own ways.  But I do not think they have social issues beyond the norm.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28717 on: April 24, 2011, 09:52:18 pm »

"Neurotypical" is generally defined as "not autism spectrum."

I don't really agree with this, though. After all, I wouldn't exactly consider a schizophrenic person "neurotypical" as the term would imply, and I've also seen the term used in contrast with those with ADHD traits.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28718 on: April 24, 2011, 09:54:28 pm »

Pervasive is "not autism spectrum"

Guys, stop this conversation now, you're not helping each other arguing over mental conditions, take it from the guy studying psychology, we don't need this.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28719 on: April 24, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »

I don't really agree with this, though. After all, I wouldn't exactly consider a schizophrenic person "neurotypical" as the term would imply, and I've also seen the term used in contrast with those with ADHD traits.

On the other hand, ADHD is often considered linked to the spectrum, and schizophrenia, OCD run parallel to it.

In any case they could have ADHD or schizophrenia.  I do not think so, but the main important thing here is that they are not on the autism spectrum, and I was attempting to use it in the autistic context I usually see it in.  I will admit that the word is poorly defined and it may have been better to use a different word, but I do not know one that expresses things quite so well.  I suppose "not autism spectrum" as Tellemurius implied.

Anyway they all seem very "normal" and not likely to have anything outside of the usual depression and anxiety disorders from my own observations, admittedly flawed.

Guys, stop this conversation now, you're not helping each other arguing over mental conditions, take it from the guy studying psychology, we don't need this.

We might as well get it over with now.  It is not like I will start a flame war, since I have already flattened my emotions off in an effort to deflect hurt.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #28720 on: April 24, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »

Now I'm sad.
I am tired of you jumping on me.  I want you to stop.  I feel like you are trying to get me back for the "Women in Media" thread, which is understandable, but you are doing it the wrong way.  If you want to hurt me, then you can PM me and call me stupid and socially retarded, if you want.  Accuse me of something real.  Accuse me of something I did.  There's other, easier ways to knock me down.

But you jump on me when I am expressing hurt and fear and emotional weakness and tell me that you are shocked and appalled at things I never said.  You attempt to paint me black with actions I never condoned, using parallel rhetoric and diction to mine, so that you can make yourself look bigger by hurting me with my own attacks.  You attempt to bring me down in order to absolve yourself--or at least, that is what appears to be true from the last sentence of your post just now.

But that is a very hurtful thing to do, and I don't like it very much.  I try very hard to say and do the right things.  When I do wrong things, I try to apologize for them.  I do not like being treated this way at all.

Just so that I'm not entirely derailing the thread: I have to walk to school tomorrow while carrying twice the recommended number of low brass instruments. It's my 120 pound self, my Baritone, my Trombone, my backpack, and my bookbag against a steep 1.2 mile (2km) uphill. It's on.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28721 on: April 25, 2011, 12:56:13 am »

Everything I write lately seems to be some quasi-poetic surrealist descriptive tripe. It's okay in moderation, hell I even like it, but I just can't seem to cut through all that BS and get to the story. Like there is no story underneath it so it becomes this coat of paint that I throw over crappy plotting and characterization to give the "story" an excuse for existing. Blah.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28722 on: April 25, 2011, 01:39:29 am »

These spambots are getting bad.
Shoes...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28723 on: April 25, 2011, 01:49:53 am »

Yeah. I agree. Maybe escaped lunatics shouldn't have acsess to HTTP tags.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28724 on: April 25, 2011, 02:08:27 am »

Yeah. I agree. Maybe escaped lunatics shouldn't have acsess to HTTP tags.
That's a good idea...
Pages: 1 ... 1913 1914 [1915] 1916 1917 ... 8167