Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1902 1903 [1904] 1905 1906 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452172 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28545 on: April 21, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »

I have been saddened by the state of my Internet home.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28546 on: April 21, 2011, 06:30:22 pm »

My least favorite thing in the world:

When people say "That's not x, it's y" where x and y are synonyms but y has a negative connotation.  See:  Circumcision Foreskin-severing Wang-mangling arguments, parents instilling values in indoctrinating their kids (Specifically values the arguer disagrees with) arguments, etc.

Am I doing it right?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28547 on: April 21, 2011, 06:44:16 pm »

Bolded: So... the fact that, at some point in his life, he's read articles about autism (and at a point when he wasn't researching for his book) means that the book has to be about autism?  And that seems like a perfectly valid regret to me - he wanted to write a book about someone who is different, and people got the impression that he was an expert.

I mean, if you go in assuming he has ill intent you can treat everything he says as a lie, but I'm not seeing it.

I missed the "I intentionally didn't add to this list" sentence.  However, the fact that he was intentionally not-adding still tells us that what he was going to write was a book about Asperger's.  Otherwise, we would have received data about how he'd read articles at some point in the past but that just wasn't he was trying to write about, and whoops, it was an accident, and he never meant for the character to be seen in that way at all.

I'm not assuming he has ill intent.  That's not why I'm calling him a fucktard.  I'm calling him a fucker because what this amounts to is one of the few books about autism on the market, and it's written by someone who intentionally didn't research or talk to people who have what he's discussing, and only cares about the negative impact of his actions as People Not Understanding His Book.  He fucked up.  He did it by accident, but he fucked up, and when he was called on it he showed that he really didn't give a crap about other people's feelings.  Because this shit really matters for anyone who doesn't have a "perfect," "normal" brain.  It matters when we need help and can't ask for it, and it matters when we make these admissions and people start asking if we're like that guy in Rainman or Curious Incident.  They don't ask "what is it like," they ask "identify yourself with a cultural phenomenon that my group already came up with to explain you."

So yes, I am really fucking tired of this, and I hate that book more than I can explain for what it did to people.  For what it is doing to people.  Alone, it's an okay piece of work.  Not especially good.

In a cultural context, it is dangerous in a real, physical way that will influence other people's well-being and ability to secure their livelihoods.  It is even more dangerous because it is a member of a particularly rare subset: books about people with autism.  Even rarer, it is a "literary" and "mainstream" fictional account.

This shit matters.  I can't condemn his lack of foresight, but I am certainly going to be angry about it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28548 on: April 21, 2011, 07:41:18 pm »

Spring engine doesn't work :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28549 on: April 21, 2011, 08:16:22 pm »

I guess I'm a bully or whatever. I got really popular about a year ago because if someone is fucking with me long enough I can usually get retorts in that cause either violence or tears. There was one person (she was a bit mentally unstable) who I bothered about something, I think it was her stealing a pencil or something stupid, but she threw a pair of scissors at me and then tried to choke me. I thought it was pretty funny at the time, and was laughing while she was choking me. would've been pretty cool to watch. Today was pretty weird like that too, funny in a morbid way. There were a bunch of wire hangers for paper mache in the art room, and there was a project in sixth grade that everyone found out that if you twist a wire hanger back and forth long enough, it gets really hot. So I remembered that, heated one up to a little bit of warmth, and then burn this kid I used to do this to in discovery science (he got me back then too). About the end of the hour he comes up behind me and burns the fuck out of me. I mean, theres still a mark there right now. After that I go over to the table while he's not looking, and empty out the staple gun, firing it six times to make sure there isn't any staples in there or anything. Then I walk up behind him, and press it to the back of his neck, and ask him how much he values his life. Everyone turns around, and sees the gun on the back of his neck. I click it twice, and then a few people yell. He laughs, and a few other people do too. It was pretty funny.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28550 on: April 21, 2011, 08:22:31 pm »

D:

That was a horrible story!

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28551 on: April 21, 2011, 08:23:57 pm »

Did it make you sad?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28552 on: April 21, 2011, 08:44:35 pm »

Did it make you sad?
A bit, but more ragey. You seem to be a bit of a dick, unless there's a hell of a lot of context there that I'm not getting.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28553 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:25 pm »

Actually, he was completely cool with it, and figured he had it coming.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #28554 on: April 21, 2011, 09:28:11 pm »

Actually, he was completely cool with it, and figured he had it coming.
That's he told you at least...
But still, you don't fucking threaten somebody's life, joke or not. Damn...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28555 on: April 21, 2011, 09:28:45 pm »

Yugh, just finished reading PREQUEL.  That's some depressing shit right there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28556 on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:03 pm »

Yugh, just finished reading PREQUEL.  That's some depressing shit right there.

I did warn you in advance. I warned you about the PREQUEL.

I tend to follow Kazerad around because of the bittersweetness of most of his works. >__>;
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28557 on: April 21, 2011, 11:12:00 pm »

I don't normally make on topic posts in these kinds of threads but here goes:

I just saw a video of three people getting run over by a car because of a fight while trying to get a job at McDonald's. I have just given up on society and all that inhibits. Whatever that means.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28558 on: April 22, 2011, 01:00:48 am »

I am in a really abysmal mood.  Ugh.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28559 on: April 22, 2011, 02:08:51 am »

I wish there was some kind of search engine for melodic phrases because every time I come up with one I really like I get the feeling that it had to have already been used.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 1902 1903 [1904] 1905 1906 ... 8167