Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452666 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28515 on: April 21, 2011, 05:38:18 pm »

My elementary school decided the best way to convince me to eat a proper breakfast before class and get to know my classmates was make me stand in front of the room eating crackers, and class can't proceed until I'm done.

That is sick, and some what disturbing, that anybody on earth could has so little a grasp on what humans are like, as to think this is a good idea.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28516 on: April 21, 2011, 05:38:42 pm »

It does funny things to your self esteem when at age 13 you find yourself siting in a municipal courtroom, explaining to a city prosecutor that, no, in fact, I didn't think the guy who'd been calling me a bitch and throwing food at me was trying to proffer an offer of friendship when he started boxing my ears.  I think a lot of my lasting reverence for the office of Judge came from that good man sitting up there, watching this trained and licensed legal attorney trying to grill a middleschooler into saying it was his own fault for getting beat up, with a look on his face like he was watching a bad movie, before ruling in my favor after three seconds of bench deliberation.
10, and it was was in some windowless room in the bowels of the school with a bunch of the teachers and the other kid. I had speech problems, so he lied his way into innocence while I mumbled my way into my parents punishing me for causing trouble.

I hold more resentment for my parents and the system than the actual bullies, who I became good friends with in middle-school.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28517 on: April 21, 2011, 05:43:59 pm »

Oh man, I didn't even think of that one... I was thinking more along the lines of that fucktard who wrote "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" and then got all kinds of acclaim for knowing sooooo much about how autistic people think, oh my god.  And then the autistic community quietly going "You know, guys, it's nice that you wrote a book about us but it really isn't quite like that..."

Jegus.
I think this might actually be a bit unfair on the author - he said the protagonist in the book was inspired by 2 people he knew who didn't have any kind of disability, and he said he regrets that the term "Asperger's" appears on the front of the book (Christopher doesn't actually specify what his issue actually is at any point during the novel).

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28518 on: April 21, 2011, 05:44:38 pm »

I never had problems with bullies.  I wasn't the kind of person to say anything about it anyway, because it just caused problems if I was bugged by it.  Never thrown a punch, never got punched so it's all good.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28519 on: April 21, 2011, 05:45:48 pm »

The above post reminded me how much trouble I had with bullies :(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28520 on: April 21, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »

I never had problems with bullies. Although that could be put down to the fact that I was bullied so much that I refuse to acknowledge any events that happened until I was about sixteen. Still, from then on I'm glad to say that a lot of others left school, leaving me with a more calm, and friendly bunch, and allowing me to really enjoy the last two years of high school.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28521 on: April 21, 2011, 05:47:24 pm »

10, and it was was in some windowless room in the bowels of the school with a bunch of the teachers and the other kid. I had speech problems, so he lied his way into innocence while I mumbled my way into my parents punishing me for causing trouble.

I hold more resentment for my parents and the system than the actual bullies, who I became good friends with in middle-school.

I suppose that's one benefit to having some ribald anti-authoritarian parents.  I only really know about my schools blaming me for getting in fights all the time because that's what my father claims they told them in private.  They knew perfectly well that conflict was a natural part of public school, although my father tried to convince me to learn to run faster like he did, instead of always standing my ground and taking a beating, both physically and procedurally.  He pretty much left everything to my own judgment after he acted as my legal council in that trial, since he figured I was whole other world from his school days.

Heck, I finally got to repay the favor to a guy who'd had his goon squad beat the crap out of me after I managed to humiliate him on school picture day.  He tried to give me shit at a school band function, when my family of huge rednecks formed a wall, and he nearly broke down in tears by a tongue lashing from my mother.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:49:03 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28522 on: April 21, 2011, 05:51:14 pm »

While i've actually got some pretty good numbers on parrallel squats (~150), but I am apparently a WIMP with bench. I benched 75.

Well shit.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28523 on: April 21, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »

Huh, my dad taught me to stand my ground and fight the bullies. Which provided a bit of confusion when he punished me for standing and fighting the bullies.

It's a very weird system and I can kinda see the angle they were going for. While punishing both sides for any conflict is troublesome it does help prevent the less clever bullies from gaming the system and getting blame for all the strife dumped on the victim. Granted that does happen now, but I attribute that to people in the system who don't give a second fuck.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28524 on: April 21, 2011, 06:00:15 pm »

I was about as outcast as it gets through most of my public schooling.  No friends from grades 3-9.  I was bullied, but probably not as much as many of you.  I was really athletic and important to multiple sports teams, so that earned me some amnesty. 

I also avoided a lot of trouble by simply never fighting back.  I got punched a few times, stabbed in the arm with a pen, head slammed into a brick wall, pushed into a rusty nail giving me a huge gash on the leg...

The closest I ever came to a fight was in music class.  We were watching The Sound of Music.  As soon as the movie started, this kid behind me started spitting on the back of my neck, kicking my chair, and laughing out loud at me.  I locked eyes with the teacher, who simply stared blankly back at me... silently... for an entire 40 minutes.  By the end of it, my vision had taken a deep shade of red and there was some section of my thoughts that had become independent and was calmly debating the most efficient way to turn around right then and end that kid's life.  Just as my muscles began to tense in preparation, the bell rang and I snapped out of it...

I knew whose side they were on.  Hell, one teacher even joined in with the class in playing keep-away with my backpack and spreading its contents all over the room one time.  All I could do was wait for those days to be over.  I had some major social problems by the time I finally got out of there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28525 on: April 21, 2011, 06:01:07 pm »

It's a very weird system and I can kinda see the angle they were going for. While punishing both sides for any conflict is troublesome it does help prevent the less clever bullies from gaming the system and getting blame for all the strife dumped on the victim. Granted that does happen now, but I attribute that to people in the system who don't give a second fuck.

It was basically, "We can't (that is, don't want to) take the time to investigate or follow up on anything, so we're going to take no action until a fight breaks out, then everyone gets punished equally to make sure we don't judge wrong.  We'll tell you that you should have come to us about the problem before it turned into a fight, even though we'd have told you that we can't do anything unless there's a serious problem.  C'mon, socialize and work it out, that's why you're here.  There's nothing wrong with you, is there?"

That got a lot longer than I intended it, but you get the idea.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28526 on: April 21, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »

A curious case of the dog in the nighttime? That was a stupid book, I had to read it for school.

As to fighting I turtled in a single fight in grade 3 and my dad told me 'If they start the fight, you can finish it.' I haven't been in any fights lately, but there are a couple people I wouldn't mind getting in a fight with.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28527 on: April 21, 2011, 06:03:30 pm »

I guess it's worse over in the states then. I was bullied constantly thoughout grades 8-9 (If they actually bothered with me.) Tenth grade was something a bit different. It got worse then, but got solved there as well.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28528 on: April 21, 2011, 06:04:06 pm »

Hell, one teacher even joined in with the class in playing keep-away with my backpack and spreading its contents all over the room one time.

:o
I'm starting to think the Australian public schooling system, for all it's flaws, is still not as bad as people make it out to be.

Meh, I will still never forgive them for buying all of those copies of Enders Game.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28529 on: April 21, 2011, 06:04:41 pm »

I knew whose side they were on.  Hell, one teacher even joined in with the class in playing keep-away with my backpack and spreading its contents all over the room one time.
What the fuck?

They should have lost their job, quickly. That is completely unacceptable in so many ways. It's bad enough to just turn a blind eye to the bullying, but to actually participate? That sounds like it comes from some shitty 80s movie about how evil the establishment is. The last thing a child needs in that situation is for the one person they can look to for protection from the bullying to gleefully participate in it. Stuff like that makes me seriously consider teaching.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 ... 8167