Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1899 1900 [1901] 1902 1903 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453593 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28500 on: April 21, 2011, 05:14:54 pm »

You mean there are respected people who value this book as having 'insight'?

I think I need a moment to take that in. It just goes beyond belief...

Having seen how the public education system tortures high functioning autistics, I am not at all surprised.

Hell, the typical response from many counselors is still "This is a medical problem, let's drug the shit out of them".  Watching my brother go through this was horrifying to me and is still a major source of my paranoia regarding psychiatric medicine.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28501 on: April 21, 2011, 05:17:19 pm »

Hell, the typical response from many counselors is still "This is a medical problem, let's drug the shit out of them".

Easy response is easy.

It also hurts the ego and/or credibility less than "I don't know how to handle this."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28502 on: April 21, 2011, 05:18:51 pm »

In a world where once being left handed was identified as a problem, the only thing you can do is hit people like that over the head with a thick piece of wood until they stop twitching.

Or, if you don't want to have to move to a new country, you could do what Vector is doing, and hope it spreads.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28503 on: April 21, 2011, 05:20:33 pm »

I don't even want to say the number of times I wound up bullied and alone and was told that it was my fault (for failing to perform the correct social dance), or that it didn't matter because I didn't look upset enough.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

... Also, that would be hot.

Hell, the typical response from many counselors is still "This is a medical problem, let's drug the shit out of them".

Easy response is easy.

Funny, I received the even easier option of "we can't treat you because you're over 18 and too dysfunctional for us to understand what you have going on.  Now give us money and we'll tell you you're smart and should stop complaining about how you can't read body language.  Instead, we can talk about your relationship with your mother."

Hurgh.  And then, when I complained, they said I wasn't playing nicely with the psychiatrist and it was my fault for not fixing the "more pressing" parental problem.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28504 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:22 pm »

Having seen how the public education system tortures high functioning autistics, I am not at all surprised.

To be fair, it damn near tortures everyone who isn't totally cool with buying into the industrialized quasi-educational process that goes on there. Not to trivialize the Bonus Plight offered to anyone remotely atypical, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28505 on: April 21, 2011, 05:22:41 pm »

Well, to be fair, it probably is insight for them, considering it seems a lot of peoples' experience with autism consists solely of that terrible Bruce Willis vehicle Mercury Rising. I think it says a lot about autism's portrayal in the media that people can consider a simplistic portrayal of it as insightful though.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #28506 on: April 21, 2011, 05:26:22 pm »

Got wisdom teeth pulled today. Vicodin and Ibuprofen aren't doing much to stop the pain, and my lips are still numb making it hard to eat anything, even liquids. This sucks.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28507 on: April 21, 2011, 05:27:36 pm »

Well, to be fair, it probably is insight for them, considering it seems a lot of peoples' experience with autism consists solely of that terrible Bruce Willis vehicle Mercury Rising. I think it says a lot about autism's portrayal in the media that people can consider a simplistic portrayal of it as insightful though.

While true on many accounts, there would be cases where no so much.
Dr. House was almost identified as having aspergers, so that might be slightly closer. I swear the psychologist from the new NCIS show would count, but I'm not qualified to give diagnostic.  :P
There is more exposure then people think, but they don't notice it because for the most part, it isn't so blatantly obvious.
Got wisdom teeth pulled today. Vicodin and Ibuprofen aren't doing much to stop the pain, and my lips are still numb making it hard to eat anything, even liquids. This sucks.
I have heard that can hurt... A lot.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28508 on: April 21, 2011, 05:28:23 pm »

Just hope your tongue isn't numb, that really sucks.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28509 on: April 21, 2011, 05:29:54 pm »

Dr. House was almost identified as having aspergers, so that might be slightly closer.

Link?  As in, was it viewers who appropriated him, or was it the producers?

Because seriously, House doesn't seem to really fit in that box to me--way too much theory of mind and social fluidity in general.  But maybe that's just a representation of someone older, because indeed I have changed quite a bit from my childhood through early adulthood and so on.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28510 on: April 21, 2011, 05:31:18 pm »

I hope you'll take it as a compliment that you do very well, Vector.  I wouldn't have guessed.  I've found you a bit eccentric, but nothing more.  I thought your interest in the subject was more akin to mine.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28511 on: April 21, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »

While true on many accounts, there would be cases where no so much.
Dr. House was almost identified as having aspergers, so that might be slightly closer. I swear the psychologist from the new NCIS show would count, but I'm not qualified to give diagnostic.  :P
There is more exposure then people think, but they don't notice it because for the most part, it isn't so blatantly obvious.
Oh, I don't watch television so I wouldn't have known about either of those.

The only other thing I can recall off hand is Rain Man. But considering that Kim Peek wasn't actually an autist...well that might make it an even worse portrayal of autism.

Oh, and an episode of the Highlander television series. Which I think should speak for itself.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28512 on: April 21, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »

Link?  As in, was it viewers who appropriated him, or was it the producers?

Because seriously, House doesn't seem to really fit in that box to me--way too much theory of mind and social fluidity in general.  But maybe that's just a representation of someone older, because indeed I have changed quite a bit from my childhood through early adulthood and so on.

Producers. I think it was near the end of one of the seasons.
Of coarse producers wouldn't give the best representation, but like I said, slightly closer, especially compared to TCIOTDITNT (Did I get that right?)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #28513 on: April 21, 2011, 05:34:21 pm »

Just hope your tongue isn't numb, that really sucks.
It was for a while. I only just got felling back into it.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28514 on: April 21, 2011, 05:34:38 pm »

I don't even want to say the number of times I wound up bullied and alone and was told that it was my fault (for failing to perform the correct social dance), or that it didn't matter because I didn't look upset enough.

While I'm certainly not going to claim autism or any other mental condition had anything to do with it, it wasn't much better on my end.  I do have systemically low blood sugar, which when I was a kid certainly made me irritable.  My elementary school decided the best way to convince me to eat a proper breakfast before class and get to know my classmates was make me stand in front of the room eating crackers, and class can't proceed until I'm done.

Oh I had friends, but I got in fights all the time, because when somebody punches me, I'm going to punch back.  But in the Twilight Zone of public schooling, one person throwing punches is a bullying problem to be solved by telling an adult (who will then say if they don't see it in progress they can't take any action, and will get you beat up more for being a pussy), but two people throwing punches is a riot and everyone is equally guilty.  And when I say "guilty", I mean citation for Disorderly Conduct from the campus police officer "guilty".  If anything, I got the heavy end of the stick in these resolutions, because if the common factor in so many campus fights is me, then clearly my puny bespectacled ass is the problem.  I'm going around with thick books and long hair trying to pick fights by being so unusual.

It does funny things to your self esteem when at age 13 you find yourself siting in a municipal courtroom, explaining to a city prosecutor that, no, in fact, I didn't think the guy who'd been calling me a bitch and throwing food at me was trying to proffer an offer of friendship when he started boxing my ears.  I think a lot of my lasting reverence for the office of Judge came from that good man sitting up there, watching this trained and licensed legal attorney trying to grill a middleschooler into saying it was his own fault for getting beat up, with a look on his face like he was watching a bad movie, before ruling in my favor after three seconds of bench deliberation.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 1899 1900 [1901] 1902 1903 ... 8167