Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1886 1887 [1888] 1889 1890 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9490683 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28305 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:07 pm »

By my count, a good deal of people from the social threads are going away. Does this count as a victory for Dasleah?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28306 on: April 19, 2011, 12:20:23 pm »

I tripped and now my fucking ankle hurts.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28307 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:28 pm »

So, I guess I'll be leaving too now.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #28308 on: April 19, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »

So, I guess I'll be leaving too now.
Spoiler: Thing making me sad (click to show/hide)
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28309 on: April 19, 2011, 12:36:13 pm »

Now, thats a mean thing to put soundandfury, because people can take it the wrong way. Extremely the wrong way.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #28310 on: April 19, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »

Now, thats a mean thing to put soundandfury, because people can take it the wrong way. Extremely the wrong way.
Erm, how?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28311 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:27 pm »

Because it might be read that he's sad that ein isn't leaving. I don't think he at all intended it that way though. I think he just likes text walls and was making a friendly joke.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28312 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:34 pm »

With all these people leaving and pseudo-leaving, I'm sad that I didn't take a bigger part of the community. I regret all those times I thought of writing something, but couldn't be arsed or force myself to do it... They all feel like missed opportunities now.

Hopefully I'm just being overly dramatic and getting caught up with this 'doomy' feeling of right now, and maybe it'll go back to normaler in a while, but it still brings me down.
Love, scriver~

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28313 on: April 19, 2011, 12:42:25 pm »

Yep. Fqllve hit the nail on the head. I just wanted to point it out though..
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #28314 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:04 pm »

With all these people leaving and pseudo-leaving, I'm sad that I didn't take a bigger part of the community. I regret all those times I thought of writing something, but couldn't be arsed or force myself to do it... They all feel like missed opportunities now.

Hopefully I'm just being overly dramatic and getting caught up with this 'doomy' feeling of right now, and maybe it'll go back to normaler in a while, but it still brings me down.

Don't worry Swedenub, things always change.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #28315 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:49 pm »

Because it might be read that he's sad that ein isn't leaving. I don't think he at all intended it that way though. I think he just likes text walls and was making a friendly joke.
Yeah, I hope no-one did take it the wrong way.  If they did, 'msorry.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28316 on: April 19, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »

Guh. The whole situation saddens me. Lots of people whose posts I valued reading and whose personalities I thought contributed going is just not... good. I honestly cannot say I've been glad to read a single one of the "I'm going to be taking a step back" or "I'm going away completely" posts.

I understand where the grievances are coming from. Even if the spamminess is confined to a single thread or group of threads (which it isn't always), the point of those threads (for me, at least) is to build up a more complete idea of who the people on this forum are. People who choose not to participate are inevitably going to get shortchanged on that, because I don't understand them as well and don't have as much a reason to care about them. I know that isn't right, and as much as I try to overcome it, I still find that it's hard to care as much when I can't conceptualize a poster beyond their immediate post and their username and avatar. And it isn't right, either, to insist that they participate in those threads if spam is allowed to clutter them up, because that's totally unrelated to learning about a poster and makes it hard to keep up with what is important. I know all of that is just from my perspective and might not apply to every poster, but I think it might be a real root of the problem that people who dislike those threads see.

So basically, that bias (which is a problem) seems like a necessary result of something I like about this forum compared to others I visit. Which is that I see a lot of posters here as real people, even friends, to a much greater degree than is possible without the sort of avenue the "Things that make you X" threads provide. And I don't see a solution. Which is sad.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28317 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:03 pm »

So you could say that your post was a tale, told by a forum poster, full of soundandfury, signifying nothing?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #28318 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56:12 pm »

So you could say that your post was a tale, told by a forum poster, full of soundandfury, signifying nothing?
Sounds familiar. Macbeth? Or Shakespeare in general?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28319 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:30 pm »

I am saddened by this development. I have a lot of respect for Toady and how hard he works for a product he gives out for free, but I really can't see this as anything but an overreaction. I mean, Retro, I would never think him detrimental to the forum. Although I am going to be investigating this little storm of ours.
Pages: 1 ... 1886 1887 [1888] 1889 1890 ... 8167