Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9478015 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #28020 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:11 am »

What the hell did I just walk into? Oo

Damn, all the Drama does happen when I'm off the internet.
That just makes you the lucky one.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28021 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:21 am »

Sweet! This is starting to get good.

munches popcorn
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Brotipodes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28022 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:22 am »

And the forum prides itself once more on it's ability to play happy-families and derail actual conversations.

Look, I'm going to bed. I know that many of you will take that statement as some manner of resignation on my part, and I certainly do not expect these posts or my profile to be here when I wake up. Precedent tells that that tomorrow all will be ignored or forgotten, and the same things I have complained about here will be going just as strong as ever, riding off a wave of "oh man we sure showed him!"

And yes, there are places I could go to. There are, in fact, many such places that I frequent in which I'm perfectly happy. Perhaps that's helped me gain some perspective on how this community has so fallen in my eyes? I understand that for many of you, Bay12 is a first and foremost 'home' on the internet. Bay12 is simply a place that I once felt connected to and I'm raising the issues that has caused me - and others, not that I think I could ever hope to articulate every negative opinion about the status quo here - that has caused me such personal disconnection from everything. This princess doesn't need to 'suck it up' because there's nothing to suck up. I feel no personal malice towards anything here. I've no illusions of changing anyone's mind in any great fashion. I am perfectly aware that most of you don't want to change your minds. Plenty of you have ignored vaste swathes of my arguments in favour of arguing minuta in an attempt to discredit or belittle me because oh wow this one sentence is based on subjectivity oh snap! Some of you have agreed with me, others have not.

zzzzzzz

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28023 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:58 am »

The forum tantrum spiral. It was long predicted that we had all gotten too close from not having to go mine ore and chop wood and burn coal constantly, now we are paying the price. Abandon the fort and try to do better next embark.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28024 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:03 am »

Makrond according to wikipeidia a troll is " someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community" Your also missing the point.

Just moving what I said down.

Also I'm sad too Ochita.

...with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Please use the full quote and not just the part that supports your argument.

Since my intent was to neither provoke an emotional response nor derail the topic and instead simply to introduce some perspective to the topic, the accusations of trolling are rather misplaced. Not that it matters, since I'm now firmly cemented in the minds of others as a worthless troll, and they will go back to their hugbox where nobody ever disagrees or says anything mean at all ever and if they do I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28025 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:34 am »

Of course Makrond is getting agressive.
He got cornered, people weren't even trying to discuss things and rather launched personal attacks.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28026 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:02 am »

(urgh, I should be asleep right now)

Yes we have problems, and yes we need to fix them, but it's not going to come by yelling.
Anyway, when I'm more lucid, it seems a worthwhile discussion to have, and might be worth starting a thread of its own.

Tried that once. Despite my efforts to keep it as impersonal and civil as possible, given how a "let's fix things up" notion gets people on the defensive and getting personal would have sundered the effort, the community reaction was largely "I don't understand; I come here for the inane babble" or "There isn't a problem, why does this thread exist?" Wouldn't have really done much good even if people had been interested anyhow because Toady deliberately ignored the entire thing due to personally disliking me (largely due to him thinking that I was posting on Dasleah's behalf, as far as I ever discerned). I've been a lot more distant from the forums since then, as it's pretty clear current trends are just going to worsen and neither the forum members nor managers are interested in changing anything to turn things around.

Also, jesus christ, does anyone know what 'troll' actually means in this context? It's not something you just slap on people because you don't like their post. Honestly, if you're not willing to have a constructive debate just don't post at all.

...You know, I typed up a whole bunch more, but I just backspaced it all because there isn't really a point in trying to convince the problem that there's a problem. I might as well let go of what's left of my connection to the forums, really; the last few months has really got me wondering what's even keeping me here. The few non-nonsense discussions can hardly get afloat before LOL TOUHOU or LOL GIANT IMAGE or LOL I SAID A RANDOM THING LOL ME TOO suffocates them, and without an actual moderator staff there's not a chance this hardly-used, reactionary form of irregular moderation is going to cull the natter. Think I'll just take off. I'm not usually one to turn in the face of confrontation, and knowing that a lot of you dislike me certainly isn't enough to stop me from continuing to try and make my point, but honestly, why should I bother if you'd rather be happy in your insane microcosm where everyone posts incessantly yet nothing is ever said? My desire for actual discussion sure as hell isn't going to be fulfilled here, and generally speaking the people worth talking to I see outside the forums already.

Hm. Yeah, that sounds good. I'm gonna figuratively tidy up a bit and then split. Ciao.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28027 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:05 am »

And the forum prides itself once more on it's ability to play happy-families and derail actual conversations.

Look, I'm going to bed. I know that many of you will take that statement as some manner of resignation on my part, and I certainly do not expect these posts or my profile to be here when I wake up. Precedent tells that that tomorrow all will be ignored or forgotten, and the same things I have complained about here will be going just as strong as ever, riding off a wave of "oh man we sure showed him!"

And yes, there are places I could go to. There are, in fact, many such places that I frequent in which I'm perfectly happy. Perhaps that's helped me gain some perspective on how this community has so fallen in my eyes? I understand that for many of you, Bay12 is a first and foremost 'home' on the internet. Bay12 is simply a place that I once felt connected to and I'm raising the issues that has caused me - and others, not that I think I could ever hope to articulate every negative opinion about the status quo here - that has caused me such personal disconnection from everything. This princess doesn't need to 'suck it up' because there's nothing to suck up. I feel no personal malice towards anything here. I've no illusions of changing anyone's mind in any great fashion. I am perfectly aware that most of you don't want to change your minds. Plenty of you have ignored vaste swathes of my arguments in favour of arguing minuta in an attempt to discredit or belittle me because oh wow this one sentence is based on subjectivity oh snap! Some of you have agreed with me, others have not.

zzzzzzz

NOOOOOO!!! MY PRIMARY SOURCE OF AMUSEMENT!!!

Makrond according to wikipeidia a troll is " someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community" Your also missing the point.

Just moving what I said down.

Also I'm sad too Ochita.

...with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Please use the full quote and not just the part that supports your argument.

Since my intent was to neither provoke an emotional response nor derail the topic and instead simply to introduce some perspective to the topic, the accusations of trolling are rather misplaced. Not that it matters, since I'm now firmly cemented in the minds of others as a worthless troll, and they will go back to their hugbox where nobody ever disagrees or says anything mean at all ever and if they do I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF

And here comes another.

EDIT: Oops, accidentally added extra to the quote. Fixed now.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:02:22 am by GamerKnight »
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28028 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:49 am »

Makrond, the full quote still makes you out to be a troll.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28029 on: April 18, 2011, 09:01:13 am »

Uh, brot, the enitire discussion is off the rails to begin with.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #28030 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:02 am »

Yes, I definitely called you a troll, and I definitely expressed support and defense of Janet's closings of the Happy thread. You can certainly look back on the posts and see the words there in plain black (or grey, depending on settings) and white.

Sarcasm aside, at least Janet apologised for her part in this.

This is an honest question, I'm not attempting to troll you, but do you feel that as a result of Janet herself admitting her own wrongness, that perhaps you were white knighting for her at all?
I won't say that she's been wrong to close it on all the times she has, but on that particular time do you feel maybe you leapt to the defense because you were used to doing so, and not because the situation merited it?

sidenote: too many posts keep coming for the post button to allow me to post D:
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28031 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:56 am »

NOOOOOO!!! MY PRIMARY SOURCE OF AMUSEMENT!!!

Don't worry, there will always be another argument. Somewhere on this vast and might internet.

Might I suggest the Runescape forums? They have a maximum age of 13, so you know they are uncivilised!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28032 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:22 am »

These last few pages made me sad, and made my head spin quite a bit.

>_>
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #28033 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:37 am »

(urgh, I should be asleep right now)

Yes we have problems, and yes we need to fix them, but it's not going to come by yelling.
Anyway, when I'm more lucid, it seems a worthwhile discussion to have, and might be worth starting a thread of its own.

Tried that once. Despite my efforts to keep it as impersonal and civil as possible, given how a "let's fix things up" notion gets people on the defensive and getting personal would have sundered the effort, the community reaction was largely "I don't understand; I come here for the inane babble" or "There isn't a problem, why does this thread exist?" Wouldn't have really done much good even if people had been interested anyhow because Toady deliberately ignored the entire thing due to personally disliking me (largely due to him thinking that I was posting on Dasleah's behalf, as far as I ever discerned). I've been a lot more distant from the forums since then, as it's pretty clear current trends are just going to worsen and neither the forum members nor managers are interested in changing anything to turn things around.

Also, jesus christ, does anyone know what 'troll' actually means in this context? It's not something you just slap on people because you don't like their post. Honestly, if you're not willing to have a constructive debate just don't post at all.

...You know, I typed up a whole bunch more, but I just backspaced it all because there isn't really a point in trying to convince the problem that there's a problem. I might as well let go of what's left of my connection to the forums, really; the last few months has really got me wondering what's even keeping me here. The few non-nonsense discussions can hardly get afloat before LOL TOUHOU or LOL GIANT IMAGE or LOL I SAID A RANDOM THING LOL ME TOO suffocates them, and without an actual moderator staff there's not a chance this hardly-used, reactionary form of irregular moderation is going to cull the natter. Think I'll just take off. I'm not usually one to turn in the face of confrontation, and knowing that a lot of you dislike me certainly isn't enough to stop me from continuing to try and make my point, but honestly, why should I bother if you'd rather be happy in your insane microcosm where everyone posts incessantly yet nothing is ever said? My desire for actual discussion sure as hell isn't going to be fulfilled here, and generally speaking the people worth talking to I see outside the forums already.

Hm. Yeah, that sounds good. I'm gonna figuratively tidy up a bit and then split. Ciao.

But I like your posts :/

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28034 on: April 18, 2011, 09:05:04 am »

The forum tantrum spiral.

Best description ever. We all just need some legendary drinks and platinum-plated bedrooms, and things will recover.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 8167