Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1834 1835 [1836] 1837 1838 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450116 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #27525 on: April 13, 2011, 04:08:33 pm »

does not portray to me anything but crudeness.
Ouch... harsh.
Indeed.

Could you expand on this? Are you saying that English is crude or that the image it portrays is one of crudeness? Because the latter is exactly true. It's a commentary on the crudeness and cruelness of man.

If it's the former...well, I need to stop taking insults to English so personally. ;_;

To be honest I can see where he's coming from, even if I don't agree. I had trouble appreciating English before I actually learnt it to an advanced level (currently up and above my class). It was the same with my other languages, and I expect it will be the same for the ones I'm learning/will learn in the future. Ideas will seem all the more touching the more you can understand it, I guess.

One will most likely have a predilection toward their native language seeing as how one "lives" in it, so to speak. One thinks in that language and gets more exposure.

does not portray to me anything but crudeness.
Ouch... harsh.
Indeed.

Could you expand on this? Are you saying that English is crude or that the image it portrays is one of crudeness? Because the latter is exactly true. It's a commentary on the crudeness and cruelness of man.

If it's the former...well, I need to stop taking insults to English so personally. ;_;

It is indeed the former, and you shouldn't really consider it much I am but one person and the only person I know with these feelings is me, it might be a bitterness evolved since as a kid like all the other I thought english was the cool stuff. However, the more I look at languages and listen to music in other tongues the more I realize that compared to the flowers I hear now, English is the cut grass and all it does is connect them, frame them poorly.

And what might these flowers be, pray?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #27526 on: April 13, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »

My mom's in the hospital. She's not doing bad or anything, she's just there to get tests done.
I'm a little worried, though.

PSUEDOEDIT: Double ninja'd

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #27527 on: April 13, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »

Dwarves however, do play an important role in norse mythology...
Those are the guys, who sustain the gods with leet artifacts.

Those dwarves have little in common with the dwarves of modern fantasy and what they do have in common is taken from Norse mythology.

My mom's in the hospital. She's not doing bad or anything, she's just there to get tests done.
I'm a little worried, though.

PSUEDOEDIT: Double ninja'd
I know the feeling really well, sadly. Hope she's good when she's back.

To be honest I can see where he's coming from, even if I don't agree. I had trouble appreciating English before I actually learnt it to an advanced level (currently up and above my class). It was the same with my other languages, and I expect it will be the same for the ones I'm learning/will learn in the future. Ideas will seem all the more touching the more you can understand it, I guess.

One will most likely have a predilection toward their native language seeing as how one "lives" in it, so to speak. One thinks in that language and gets more exposure.

I think more in english than in danish, because it is more practical.

Sadly.

I also can't follow your other idea, since I loved celtic, finnish, norse and baltic languages at first hear and read, even if I don't understand it.

They are pleasing to both my eyes and ears.

And what might these flowers be, pray?

So far it has been anything not romance or english. Unlike the majority, I am not a sucker for french, spanish, portugeese and italian.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27528 on: April 13, 2011, 04:17:58 pm »

Those dwarves have little in common with the dwarves of modern fantasy and what they do have in common is taken from Norse mythology.
exactly!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #27529 on: April 13, 2011, 04:19:42 pm »

So far it has been anything not romance or english. Unlike the majority, I am not a sucker for french, spanish, portugeese and italian.
I'm guessing you can appreciate Old English then? Maybe it's the high level of Latinate words in Modern English that gives you your distaste for it.

Yeah, I can see his point. I think that English has an obvious beauty just from its peculiarities of phonology though. Really, I think that's true of all languages.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:43:37 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27530 on: April 13, 2011, 04:21:52 pm »

Bleh. Got Animal I have Become stuck in my head. Weirdest ear worm ever.

And my phone's all to blame. It was on shuffle, and played in this order: AIHB, Pain, AIHB, On My Own, AIHB, other stuff.

DAMNIT! If all I wanted to hear was One-X, I'd have pushed on just that album!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27531 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »

I hate backing out of obligations, social or otherwise, but I do believe I'm breaking down.

Going to make this constructive, by which I mean tackle every damned problem in sight until there is nothing left to take care of, or I fall asleep, whichever comes first.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27532 on: April 13, 2011, 05:19:43 pm »

exactly!
I know that, I've read the book, duh >.>

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #27533 on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:17 pm »

I hate backing out of obligations, social or otherwise, but I do believe I'm breaking down.

Going to make this constructive, by which I mean tackle every damned problem in sight until there is nothing left to take care of, or I fall asleep, whichever comes first.

Please don't D: I'm a huge fan

I'm guessing you can appreciate Old English then? Maybe it's the high level of Latinate words in Modern English that gives you your distaste for it.

Yeah, I can see his point. I think that English has an obvious beauty just from its peculiarities of phonology though. Really, I think that's true of all languages.

Yes, I think Old English is beautiful in many ways.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27534 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:52 pm »

I need a new router, this one keeps acting like shit. :b
Also, Old English is, indeed, quite wonderful.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27535 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »

Oh that explains the constant steam spams from you then.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27536 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:13 pm »

Stupid headset, keeps making my ear lobes hurt like hell.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27537 on: April 13, 2011, 08:41:43 pm »

Rugby game was postponed on account of the field being wet. WAT? Everyone knows wet rugby is best rugby.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27538 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:57 pm »

Oh that explains the constant steam spams from you then.

Isn't there a way to turn off those notifications?
I don't get any messages when my friends go on or off, just in the chat boxes.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #27539 on: April 13, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »

This clam chowder is crap. I mangaged to improve it a bit by piling spices on it but still. >:(
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 1834 1835 [1836] 1837 1838 ... 8167