Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443325 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #27345 on: April 12, 2011, 04:42:00 am »

It's like they're discriminating against my use of language! Those... those... LINGUISTS.
:(

The musical staff is actually really intuitive once you let it be. Starts at E and each step above is another letter up until it cycles back through at G. The other staves work the same way, they just begin on different notes. The only kinda tricky part is the placement of accidentals but you don't need those for the key of C Major, it's just CDEFGAB. The best part is those notes correspond to the white keys of the piano.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27346 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:16 am »

My work just instituted yet another questionably legal policy that won't affect me in the slightest and yet fills me with a terrible fury.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27347 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:49 am »

I listened to The Sound of Music so much as a child that I can remember the entire goddamn song that accompanies Do Re Mi.

Although if you don't like remembering what all the notes are and how the flats and sharps are arranged, you could consider singing.  Once you find the correct key (which you'll usually be given before you start singing) it's more the relative positions of the notes that matter rather.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27348 on: April 12, 2011, 08:35:07 am »

My work just instituted yet another questionably legal policy that won't affect me in the slightest and yet fills me with a terrible fury.
Said policy being? (need my daily schadenfreude)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #27349 on: April 12, 2011, 08:37:18 am »

Said policy being? (need my daily schadenfreude)

Skadefryd is a bad thing.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27350 on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:33 am »

Using your cell phone during works has always been forbidden. They've increased the penalty* for this and extended it to anything that any supervisor decides looks like a cell phone (wireless headphones**, for example, because they could possibly be mistaken for a bluetooth headset), and for using your cell phone for non-phone uses (such as using it as a music player**).  The stupid part of this is that the only (legally) justifiable reasons for having a cell-phone are safety concerns or to keep up production. The only safety hazards are the forklift, which goes nowhere near the desks, and broken equipment that the company is too cheap to fix. As for production, we have a quota. They already have a perfect means to get rid of people who are not performing. It doesn't much affect me as I don't even own a cell phone (and winning the wrongful termination case if they pulled the "it looked like a cell phone from across the room, so it is a cell phone" crap would be easy (the union has VERY good lawyers on retainer for this very reason,) but it's a transparent attempt to find justification to terminate anyone making too much money from quota bonuses and replace them with cheap, non-union workers that they can fire at a whim.

* Like many places, we use a three-point system. ALL offenses save those that require immediate termination add one point to your track. Getting caught under the new policy is a two point offence, which is worse than, for example, sleeping at your desk the entire shift.

** Our contract explicitly allows mp3 players during work because they don't have a loudspeaker system to pipe in music, and the noise from the machinery is pretty disruptive.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27351 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:31 am »

Using your cell phone during works has always been forbidden. <Complete and utter dick moves by greedy people.> is pretty disruptive.

Well, considering that what you do involves forklifts I don't really see any real reason not to talk on your phone aside from being a distraction.

Hell, I've worked QA for a place with extremely tight data security. In theory we shouldn't have had any sort of phones, cameras, recorders, mp3 players, flash drives or any other kinds of storage devices on us. If we did, immediate termination, with a side order of lawsuit if they found anything of theirs on your drive.
In reality, we were allowed with our phones into the office, on the condition we don't pull them out. Hell, we could even talk provided we kept it short and got onto the balcony, away from the computers.

Long story short, your employers are assholes.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27352 on: April 12, 2011, 09:30:40 am »

What we do is sell used books over the internet, in case you're interested. Considering that I run the risk of impaling my hand on a broken crate several dozen times a night (Books come to my station in plastic totes that take about 10 minutes to empty and process. These totes are in very poor condition due to abuse and have many sharp edges)because the guys in Boston won't spend a few thousand dollars out of their multi-million dollar a year profits, I thing the asshole part is a given.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27353 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:44 am »

showed up to geology again, probably a bad idea after doing graveyard shift X.X

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27354 on: April 12, 2011, 10:10:45 am »

I just found out today that there are people in my school are dumb enough to think that sticking a tampon soaked in vodka up your pooper will let you pass a breathalizer test.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27355 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:22 am »

I'd bang my head against the table now, but it's made out of glass.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27356 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:48 am »

I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach...

Goddamn it...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27357 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:25 am »

I just found out today that there are people in my school are dumb enough to think that sticking a tampon soaked in vodka up your pooper will let you pass a breathalizer test.

Wouldn't that just kill you via alcohol poisoning?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27358 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:51 am »

I don't think your intestine works that way.

Does it?

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27359 on: April 12, 2011, 10:24:35 am »

Wouldn't that just kill you via alcohol poisoning?

Colons don't work that way.

As to the original idea, I lol'd.
There was also this homeberw cure about using yogurt to cure BV. My sides were literally aching from laughter when I read how it supposedly worked.

Learn your biology, kids.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.
Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 ... 8167