Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1792 1793 [1794] 1795 1796 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9464754 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #26895 on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:22 pm »

It looks like I've caught something nasty. Hoping it would pass I went to work with a headache, runny nose, and sore throat. Ten hours of night shift, a visit to the bank, and a nap later and I feel worse than ever. Now I've a fever and ache all over along with the other symptoms. Just in time for my days off too; I suppose it won't cost me anything at least.

The probability of my being anything but a barista or, god forbid, a programmer seems to be decreasing more and more as I get older.  What am I going to do of use?  I'm not even that happy... I want to be useful, and I want to do well, but I've kind of unsalvageably messed up this semester and I feel really bad about it.
Probably not going to cheer you up but I relate. Main difference being that instead of being in education I'm in a dead end job and have no idea what to do with myself. A parent of a friend who is studying psychology was telling me about Impostor syndrome, which she suffers from, and I have seen it in myself and infer it in you from your post and what Solifuge said.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26896 on: April 07, 2011, 05:36:26 pm »

Vector, if I can offer a suggestion.  I know it's not much, but as someone actively seeking a career myself, I do notice some amount of demand for professional statisticians.  It's a consistent field to be sure, and almost certainly has some opportunities attached to it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26897 on: April 07, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »

Sleep is much, much more important that people think it is. My teachers have told me that I'm losing performance because of my (very) bad sleeping habits, and that I'm starting to lose focus. Worst thing is, I didn't notice it before they told me.

So definitely sleep more; best thing to do.

If it's any consolation, people much worse off than you academically have proven themselves useful in fields before. You're still doing very well, and I doubt you're going to end up a janitor or something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26898 on: April 07, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »

Vector, if I can offer a suggestion.  I know it's not much, but as someone actively seeking a career myself, I do notice some amount of demand for professional statisticians.  It's a consistent field to be sure, and almost certainly has some opportunities attached to it.

Well, statistics and CS make me rage, but the current plan is graduate -> get deadend job whilst looking for jobs/contemplating graduate school -> if necessary, go all-out on the self-taught work in the evening in one of those fields.

I'm quite certain that I could get an undergrad education in CS in about two years, if I really set my mind to it >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #26899 on: April 07, 2011, 09:18:50 pm »

Uhh... Having a very. Very odd problem and it's kinda... Strange, embarrassing, and uncomfortable...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26900 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »

The thread in life advice on rape and abortion is currently making me rage.

Also my math homework, which I was being criminally stupid about.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26901 on: April 07, 2011, 09:43:56 pm »

Hope I'm not responsible for that.  I don't think I'll be posting on it again, anyway.  I also think it's going in a bad direction.  It started out one of the most civil abortion discussions I've ever seen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26902 on: April 07, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »

Hope I'm not responsible for that.  I don't think I'll be posting on it again, anyway.  I also think it's going in a bad direction.  It started out one of the most civil abortion discussions I've ever seen.

Nah, you aren't making me mad at all.  It's just kind of tiring, going feminism -> queer rights -> rights in general to be diverse (>_>) -> diversity in media -> abortion -> rape.

On the other hand, I imagine a lot of the people here will be rather more educated in the near future >________________>

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26903 on: April 07, 2011, 09:52:59 pm »

Oh man, when you said that I thought it had to be some horrible awful trainwreck that I just had to look at with morbid fascination.

Thankfully it wasn't that.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26904 on: April 07, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »

Oh man, when you said that I thought it had to be some horrible awful trainwreck that I just had to look at with morbid fascination.

No, it's not a horrible awful trainwreck right now, though I am getting kind of tired of providing statistics and explaining that no, statistics on sexual assault are not, in fact, numbers inflated for shock value that you can just ignore.

... I suggested that spousal rape was, in fact, rape and was asked how many people I had assaulted.

Cute.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:57:00 pm by Vector »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26905 on: April 07, 2011, 10:02:50 pm »

Yeah, it's still better than the vast majority of similar discussions, which usually degrade instantly into attack attack attack with tired old tag lines and no apparent interest in anything constructive.

... I suggested that spousal rape was, in fact, rape and was asked how many people I had assaulted.

Cute.

Gah...

Tact.  It is useful.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26907 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:37 pm »

The abortion thread has turned into the rape thread.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26908 on: April 07, 2011, 10:20:26 pm »

It wasn't even an abortion thread, it was an abortion research gathering thread.

And now I have been ensnared by the siren call of its bs. :/
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #26909 on: April 07, 2011, 10:22:25 pm »

And now I have a massive headache that made me make an incredibly stupid mistake while playing Mount and blade. I haven't reloaded in that game since my first character but fuck. It wasn't even my fault. :<
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 1792 1793 [1794] 1795 1796 ... 8167