Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1781 1782 [1783] 1784 1785 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9496450 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #26730 on: April 06, 2011, 06:57:07 am »

Only a dozen years? Man :V

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26731 on: April 06, 2011, 07:07:53 am »

Americans schools are further complicated by the fact that there's no national system of standardization in curriculum. That's all left to the *local* school boards, within frameworks set by the state governments. Which is how you wind up with schools in Georgia that skip over the Civil War, or schools in Kansas that try to teach intelligent design as an equal alternative to evolution.

Public education in the US has just gotten so bad....my wife and I have seriously contemplated one of us quitting work just to stay home and teach the kids ourselves.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26732 on: April 06, 2011, 07:13:16 am »

As a member of the American educational system, I can safely say that it is functioning to the level of most of the people in it. It just so happens that a large majority of my classmates seem to be total morons.

Still, I've never heard of the "not teaching the Civil War" thing before. It's taught in North Carolina at least, and people tend to consider that part of the Deep South. Although NC did go blue state last election...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26733 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:50 am »

Eh, at least your universities are doing something right...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26734 on: April 06, 2011, 07:20:44 am »

Quite a few of our high schools are as well (mine, for example, had at least six nations trying to reverse-engineer it.) These are the ones the school boards hold hostage every time they try to pass another questionably legal property tax.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26735 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:05 am »

As a member of the American educational system, I can safely say that it is functioning to the level of most of the people in it. It just so happens that a large majority of my classmates seem to be total morons.

Still, I've never heard of the "not teaching the Civil War" thing before. It's taught in North Carolina at least, and people tend to consider that part of the Deep South. Although NC did go blue state last election...

NC schools are far better than most of the ones in the South (although state funding on public ed is dropping like a rock since the recession hit and the GOP took over the legislature).

Several years back, the Georgia Board of Education did an adjustment to the state curriculum that basically split high school US history into two chunks: Colonial Era to 1861, and 1865-modern day. When people pointed out that the Civil War might be relevant to a state that...y'know, was largely BURNED TO THE GROUND during said war, the response was "Oh, they'll have covered the Civil War in 5th grade history."

I remember 5th grade history. It was what I like to refer to as "Action Figure US History". I'm pretty sure you're not going to get really deep discussion over the issues of slavery, states' rights or a multi-dimensional view of Lincoln (or the Confederacy, for that matter).

As a related tangent, I came across a recent press release that said a thinktank study gave Georgia the second highest rating on their history curriculum, praising its "balanced treatment of the Civil War". I boggled. Then it said that the top score went to South Carolina. That's when I knew something had to be up, as most South Carolinians I've met think the war isn't over yet.  :P

Turns out the thinktank, the Thomas Fordham Institute, is a right-wing group that exists pretty much to scream "liberal bias in education!" nonstop, and author laughable studies like that one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26736 on: April 06, 2011, 08:28:54 am »

I remember 5th grade history. It was what I like to refer to as "Action Figure US History". I'm pretty sure you're not going to get really deep discussion over the issues of slavery, states' rights or a multi-dimensional view of Lincoln (or the Confederacy, for that matter).
I find it sort of hilarious and sad that the GOP has elements in it that go out of the way to hide the actions of one of their oldest and most famous members. Then again, they aren't exactly the same as they were in the 1860's.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26737 on: April 06, 2011, 08:57:36 am »

People don't really need to "Contribute" anything. All that's really important is that they can find some happiness in their lives.

While I understand what you mean, I'd have to disagree.
When you are playing a video game, you are contributing. When you are playing an instrument, you are contributing.

I guess you could watch tv for the rest of your life, but you would still be changing the channels and trying to put yourself in the shoes of the characters (thus contributing to your mind). And even then you would still need sustenance.

Is there anything you can actually do without contributing to something?

As well, "continuation of the species" is a term that I said 'Mother Nature' cares about. Happy feelings are not specific to it, but it seems to be the root of most depression.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26738 on: April 06, 2011, 09:01:27 am »

I'm having a mood where I want to listen to a lot of metal, but I can't find any that I like or haven't heard before.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26739 on: April 06, 2011, 09:04:37 am »

I'm having a mood where I want to listen to a lot of metal, but I can't find any that I like or haven't heard before.

Agathodaimon. Kalmah. Insomnium.

Failing that, just use create a custom internet radio station with a song you like as a starting point and sift through songs until you find something interesting.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26740 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:20 am »

Cowering in fear of people most days and spending all ones time at home crying
*Hugs*

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26741 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:19 am »

Agathodaimon. Kalmah. Insomnium.

Failing that, just use create a custom internet radio station with a song you like as a starting point and sift through songs until you find something interesting.
How do I create a custom internet radio station?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26742 on: April 06, 2011, 09:16:52 am »

Go to Pandora.com
Type an artist name into the box.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26743 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17:52 am »

Go to Pandora.com
Type an artist name into the box.
That's not going to help much. The only artist names I know are people whom are in the bands who I've already heard.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26744 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:56 am »

Cowering in fear of people most days and spending all ones time at home crying

Don't be so hard on yourself.
You're in a relationship and you're working on your education.
So there's at least one person, who loves you for what you are and you'll be contributing soon enough.
Pages: 1 ... 1781 1782 [1783] 1784 1785 ... 8168