Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1732 1733 [1734] 1735 1736 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441405 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #25995 on: March 30, 2011, 05:47:16 pm »

Possibly just depression.

There's a certain kind of mathematics I love, but there's only one man who produces it.  For now, at least, the rest of it makes me feel like I'm walking on glass.  It's ugly, it's impure, it's written with tenderness but without vision.  My grades this semester aren't so great--partially due to this issue, partially due to a terrible schedule (I've officially discovered that I'm nocturnal), partially because I know this isn't what I want to go into.

Everyone wants me to go into their department.  I've had three French teachers/professors practically beg.  My English teacher in high school, and a professor here.  My rhetoric professor, who of her own volition promised to open doors for me.  A great mathematician gave me a tour of the library... I became a legend in high school for performance in a particularly difficult history class, and my teachers said "Oh, Vector?  Don't compare herself to her" to their students.  Honorable mention in a computational linguistics competition, having never studied any whatsoever.  So many teachers telling me to please, write books, write fiction, give us something.  So many students saying "Teach a class for us," even in subjects that I've never studied and only provided offhand comments about.  When I interviewed for Harvard and discussed the Japanese club I ran in high school, the interviewer, shocked, said that it sounded like a lecture series for a college course.  I've solved interview questions for computer science in a third of the time it was supposed to take a PhD graduate in the subject--and I've only taken the most basic course, not even recommended for people majoring in the field.

What on earth am I supposed to do?

Part of me says: "Well, stay the course and keep on with the mathematics."  The other part of me says "I can do all of these other things, and with their forces concatenated, I could create something larger than what I would ever produce there--an edifice to withstand time."

But I'm not so sure about that.

Hnnngggghhh guess theres as much suffering over on the wonderchild side of the fence. I can't even get up in the morning to go to school and if I do meet up(That'd be a miracle) I have trouble concentrating.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25996 on: March 30, 2011, 05:54:00 pm »

What on earth am I supposed to do?
That is the sickness talking.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25997 on: March 30, 2011, 07:01:07 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:01:02 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25998 on: March 30, 2011, 08:46:50 pm »

I just want to state the fact that SIAM FUCKING SUCKS ASS. Why, you ask?

Let me set the scene. I'm starting a new game of Civ 5. Small world, few nations, a couple extra city-states. Me and Persia are the two most powerful people on the planet by 3000 B.C. Me and him are also totally tight. Me and Darius are best bros and everything's going great. Then one day Darius says to me, he says "hey Rome let's go take over Siam" and I say "fine give me a little while because I don't have any military." and he says "kay." Then me and him go on to beat Siam into submission. I take only one city but I wipe his military off the map in one fell swoop leaving Darius to take the majority of his cities. It's fine, me and Darius are best bros, right?

WRONG.

Skip forward a couple mellenia. Siam is long since a forgotten memory. I'm working on rocketry and Darius is encroaching on my northern border. Kanayum is under seige by no less than two artillery and five infantry, plus a few cavalry. Solluxa is under Persian rule, puppeteered by the vile Persian threat. The war is about to turn, though, because while Kanayum falls, I bring out my newest weapon: The Mechanized Infantry unit. Equipped with a 40mm cannon and plated with 1 1/2 feet of steel, the Mechs are killing machines. I steamroll over the Persian troops and take back Kanayum, then move to Solluxa. But when I take it, I am surpirsed by an option I hadn't considered. Solluxa was once a Siamese city. I could free it and bring the dead to life.

Regardless of the stupidity, it was too good to pass up. Bringing Siam into the picture could change the face of history. Another ally in my conquest of Persia, perhaps? I could have a true puppet state! I could be king of two countries!

Siam, as soon as I brought them back from death itself, find me detestable and in one turn denounce me. BITCH SHOW SOME RESPECT. I BROUGHT YOU BACK AFTER THOUSANDS OF YEARS AND YOU INSULT ME IN FRONT OF THE OTHER LEADERS? WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

Solluxa is now an occupied city. Now I'm the fucking bad guy.
:|
:|
:'|
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25999 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »

Solluxa is now an occupied city. Now I'm the fucking bad guy.
Granted the Necromancy wasn't granting you any brownie points.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26000 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »

Following my trek of trying to beat LoZ:OoT, listening to this theme truly will scare you to death. Accompanied by superbly disturbing flying skulls ands creepy decor, this is possibly the creepiest background music.

Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26001 on: March 30, 2011, 11:36:20 pm »

I just obtained two new games at 70% and 65% off respectively.

But the first one is 2.2 gigabytes and is going to take 1.5 hours to download.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26002 on: March 31, 2011, 12:06:59 am »

Magicka is... difficult to enjoy  :'(  It really needs a quicksave feature, some of those fights are pretty nasty.  Most of the time, I run in circles around obstacles while throwing spells over my shoulders hoping to soak, freeze, electrify, or throw stones at whatever is chasing me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26003 on: March 31, 2011, 12:35:39 am »

Wax stuck in right ear. IT SUCKS. Didn't make it to the shop in time due to this pissing me off insanely much.

Drip some hydrogen peroxide (the 3.5% one used for cleaning wounds) into your ear canal. Make sure it gets in. Wait for it to dissolve the clog. Clean. Repeat as necessary.

Don't do this. Leave your ear canal alone.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26004 on: March 31, 2011, 12:48:31 am »

Don't do this. Leave your ear canal alone.

Yes. Wait for the plug to become a breeding ground for bacteria, then end up with an infection in your outer ear.

Listen. I use the stuff on myself a lot and it does wonders. A lot more than what an ear stick could ever do by itself. Hell, I even said who tipped me off on doing this in a latter post.

Edit: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hydrogen-peroxide-for-ear-wax-removal.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:51:24 am by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26005 on: March 31, 2011, 12:51:27 am »

That is a commercial product around here. I can attest that it is great. Only side effect is a small amount of earwax slime if you do not use enough or do not wash it out well enough when you are done.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26006 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:45 am »

I'm going to leave the forums for a while, since I feel worse every time I visit this place.
I'll still be online, but only to continue an interesting PM-chat.

I'll return once I feel wothy enough to participate in the discussions here and have something meaningful to contribute.

I know, nobody cares. But hey, postcount++.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26007 on: March 31, 2011, 01:01:31 am »

Edit: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hydrogen-peroxide-for-ear-wax-removal.html
Holy crap, that's exactly what I've been doing for a couple years now.
Except I use diluted eucalyptus oil.
It blasts your sinuses clear when you put it in your ear.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26008 on: March 31, 2011, 01:03:42 am »

I've just put that link in so that people would know I'm not bullshitting or trying to get them to harm themselves.

I don't use any kind of oils, just peroxide.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26009 on: March 31, 2011, 01:27:22 am »

I know, nobody cares. But hey, postcount++.

I care =/  I hope you come back soon, and I'm going to write your letter this Friday.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1732 1733 [1734] 1735 1736 ... 8167