Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443031 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #25395 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:38 am »

I'm reading an essay for my rhetoric class that is honest-to-goodness going to make me sick.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #25396 on: March 24, 2011, 12:33:22 am »

Really?
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.
Who knows how our progress would have looked like, if we hadn't been bound by religious inhibitions.

My understanding of religion is that for a long time, it was the only thing keeping people from killing each other.  It's a way to negotiate the social contract (in a Rousseau sense).  The thing about people killing each other all the time is that it's hard to do science while that's happening.

Why else would you make up a story about being tortured after you die, if not to regulate negative behavior while on earth?

You make up the story of being tortured after you die for 2 reasons: 1: to make the torture you receive in life more bearable and therefore longer lasting and more enjoyable for your tormentor. 2: to provide an ultimate threat of revenge/punishment that surpasses even torture and death.

Religion is about control and the accumulation of wealth by a select class. It is a form of government that divorces the obligation of the state to provide security and comfort from reality. Heaven is the promise of reward for following your leaders and giving them your wealth. Hell is the threat that hangs over your head to keep you in line. Really its just a way to skimp on social services, law enforcement and tax collection.

I grew up on the bad side of religion, gone through real hell on earth, I probably don't demonize it nearly enough considering.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25397 on: March 24, 2011, 12:34:04 am »

What the hell is a weaboo?
Weaboo:
•is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, and video games. A female otaku is occasionally referred to as a fujoshi.
•(noun): a non-Japanese person exhibiting an obsessive admiration for Japanese anime that often extends to the broader Japanese culture.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #25398 on: March 24, 2011, 12:34:19 am »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25400 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:16 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80418.0

Move it here guys.
Thank god science!
TBH, this post:
That was our IRC room, nuffin to do with the B12 one :P
What annoyed me was not that the IRC had nothing at all to do with B12 except for the populations, but the fact that I feel even more isolated because it seems these forums are becoming more and more weaboo, and I'm feeling more and more out of place because of it. GD is one of the last places I'm on in these forums. I don't play much DF anymore, to such an extent I still only have a save file on .12, so all of the upper boards are kinda off limits, OG moves at a glacial pace, and if it was the only thing left to me, I'd likely give up. I've little to none creativity, so there is nothing for me in the Creative Projects forum, and I've no experience to contribute to, and to problems to ask help for on LA, I used to frequent FG&RP, but I moved over to GD, and am struggling to find a foothold in the two word posts of the bloated 1576 RP thread and the likes. I don't know anything about RtD, and don't know where I could learn, and unless I've somehow miraculously gained talent at Mafia, there is nothing left for me.

This post is a requiem for my sanity, because once I no longer have this, I'll only move into lurking on SA, and move deeper into 4chan.

:'(

Don't go! You're one of my favourite forum members!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25401 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:32 am »

I'm reading an essay for my rhetoric class that is honest-to-goodness going to make me sick.

What is it about?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25402 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:49 am »

Weaboo:
•is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, and video games. A female otaku is occasionally referred to as a fujoshi.
•(noun): a non-Japanese person exhibiting an obsessive admiration for Japanese anime that often extends to the broader Japanese culture.
Where did you get that? Weeaboo isn't a Japanese word. It comes from the Perry Bible Fellowship.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #25403 on: March 24, 2011, 12:36:10 am »

Now that that's out of the way, I can say my current headache is making me sad.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25404 on: March 24, 2011, 12:36:51 am »

What is it about?

Truth, semiology, and the scientific endeavor.  It's by Baudrillard: Simulcra and Simulation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25405 on: March 24, 2011, 12:37:22 am »

Weaboo:
Where did you get that? Weeaboo isn't a Japanese word. It comes from the Perry Bible Fellowship.
Right here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25406 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:35 am »

That's funny because the link under the definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeaboo#Cultural_significance tells the true story.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25407 on: March 24, 2011, 12:42:02 am »

So fucking bored. I can't think of any games I want to play.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25408 on: March 24, 2011, 12:45:44 am »

actually, just try Dungeon Crawl
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25409 on: March 24, 2011, 12:48:08 am »

actually, just try Dungeon Crawl
I've been playing it for about 3 years.
Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 8167