Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1690 1691 [1692] 1693 1694 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441600 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #25365 on: March 23, 2011, 11:43:19 pm »

Rage is very strong emotion, left uncheck and it eats your mind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25366 on: March 23, 2011, 11:50:03 pm »

Dear people I am currently discussing with elsewhere:

I know that "it's supposed to be fun, which is why we do what is fun and it's easy-breezy."  What I was asking was if there was something else going on, deeper than that, because it seems that people are contenting themselves with reactive pabulum more than anything truly nourishing.

Of course, I didn't put it like that.

But I wanted to enter in an intellectual discourse, not ... this.  Where you tell me, over and over again, "Well, welcome to humanity.  That's the way it is."

Dammit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25367 on: March 23, 2011, 11:52:54 pm »

Ok you want a harder answer, possible that your emotions are starting to get out of whack from not being expelled or used much. Your mind could be going into another state. Can't say much unless you feel like doing a shrink apt with us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25368 on: March 23, 2011, 11:56:24 pm »

Ok you want a harder answer, possible that your emotions are starting to get out of whack from not being expelled or used much. Your mind could be going into another state. Can't say much unless you feel like doing a shrink apt with us.

No, it's just that I'm tired of dealing with the stupidity and rank idiocy of most of humanity.

I need to become an academic or something, because this is just making me sad.  Sometimes, elsewhere, I feel like I'm talking to cows that won't stop regurgitating the same old cud they were fed by their owners.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25369 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:21 pm »

Even in Academics there is stupidity and countless arguments. Hell science, more than 50 percent of our current knowledge is only from our last century due to being held back by disbeliefs and "god".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25370 on: March 24, 2011, 12:01:22 am »

I would venture to say that our scientific knowledge is so centered on the present because knowledge grows exponentially, rather than it being held back by unfair skepticism and religion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25371 on: March 24, 2011, 12:02:22 am »

And no matter how many times you call Religion stupid no one will be swayed.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25372 on: March 24, 2011, 12:04:35 am »

I would venture to say that our scientific knowledge is so centered on the present because knowledge grows exponentially, rather than it being held back by unfair skepticism and religion.

Thank you for this.

Seriously, folks.  We have medical and scientific knowledge thanks to religion.  Do I really have to remind you that the ones squirreling away human knowledge for centuries were monks?  It wasn't the non-extant scientists of their age that were doing it, to be sure.

Religion has served an extremely important role in our society, and its knee-jerk demonization is kind of sophomoric.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25373 on: March 24, 2011, 12:08:19 am »

Really?
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.
Who knows how our progress would have looked like, if we hadn't been bound by religious inhibitions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25374 on: March 24, 2011, 12:09:03 am »

I don't hate religion (catholic). I hated the fact that people invoke god to stall science without even a good reason. Example would be stem cell, i swear so many people complained that about the fetal blood stuff, i told them they figured out a way to reverse skin cells back to stem cells with using any fetal fluid yet all i get is "LALALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU" >_>.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #25375 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:50 am »

It's not the religion, it's how people (more specifically, its leaders) use and abuse it. Ultimately, an organized religion has power in it, and some people will want to, try to, and will use it. Whether that's for good or not varies from person to person, not religion to religion, or religion to non-religion (unless it's a cult, I guess...).

And yes, science is exponential. It took humans thousands of years to go from the wheel to chariots to cars, but only 60 years to go from powered human flight to getting to the moon itself.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25376 on: March 24, 2011, 12:11:55 am »

Really?
Who knows how our progress would have looked like, if we hadn't been bound by religious inhibitions.
There's no point in speculating like that. Religion is the simplest way to answer questions about the natural world that we have. It only makes sense that it would have developed first.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25377 on: March 24, 2011, 12:12:57 am »

Really?

My understanding of religion is that for a long time, it was the only thing keeping people from killing each other.  It's a way to negotiate the social contract (in a Rousseau sense).  The thing about people killing each other all the time is that it's hard to do science while that's happening.

Why else would you make up a story about being tortured after you die, if not to regulate negative behavior while on earth?

I don't hate religion (catholic). I hated the fact that people invoke god to stall science without even a good reason. Example would be stem cell, i swear so many people complained that about the fetal blood stuff, i told them they figured out a way to reverse skin cells back to stem cells with using any fetal fluid yet all i get is "LALALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU" >_>.

Ah, yeah, well... that's unfortunate current-day issues that continue to irritate us =/

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25378 on: March 24, 2011, 12:17:48 am »

My Patron saint is St. Albert the Great, great history about him was he was considered a wizard in his time for experimenting with Chemistry and Physics. He is a patron to science and education.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #25379 on: March 24, 2011, 12:18:32 am »

Really?

My understanding of religion is that for a long time, it was the only thing keeping people from killing each other.  It's a way to negotiate the social contract (in a Rousseau sense).  The thing about people killing each other all the time is that it's hard to do science while that's happening.

Why else would you make up a story about being tortured after you die, if not to regulate negative behavior while on earth?

Ah, yeah, well... that's unfortunate current-day issues that continue to irritate us =/

Romans and Greeks were religious, they made huge advances, same for egyptians. Christians hindered/stopped advancements, while Muslims continued for some time, but later they too stopped, about the time of the renaissance where the western world picked it up again, slowly however, due to the church.
Pages: 1 ... 1690 1691 [1692] 1693 1694 ... 8167