Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1666 1667 [1668] 1669 1670 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443138 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #25005 on: March 21, 2011, 02:04:25 am »

O MetalMilitia, where art thou?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25006 on: March 21, 2011, 02:07:03 am »

4301 Introduction to the Theory of Literary Theory
4303 Invoking the Death of the Author by Literally Causing the Death of the Author
4308 The Sexism Inherent in Speculation About Sexism
4311 Pre-Post-Postmodernism

... hohohohoho

(Rather, хохохохохохохохо!  Потому мы русские человеки, да?)

Heh, Russian laughter is hugs and kisses.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25007 on: March 21, 2011, 02:17:20 am »

I think we're all jealous of Vector's multilingualism.

Especially me, since the first question people usually ask upon finding out that I'm studying linguistics is "Oh what languages do you speak?"

" :( "
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25008 on: March 21, 2011, 02:21:34 am »

Blarg, I will not stop saying blarg when I feel saying the word blarg is needed. It's similar to bleh and bluh, but more extreme. Also, I happen to have decent parents. It would be nice to stay on their good side.

It's funny, 'cause just about everyone else has been saying blerg and blurg instead, since I began my campaign of pestering :D.

And if it's your own money, what right do they have to restrict your use of it? If you're fourteen then yeah, that makes sense, but three thousand bucks worth of cheques or whatever you said does not sound like the domain a fourteen year old.
I'm Jewish. They were from 13. >_> <_<
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25009 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:33 am »

Goddamn I wish I had your capacity for learning languages.

Or perhaps: Goddamn, I wish I wasn't lazy.

I think we're all jealous of Vector's multilingualism.

Especially me, since the first question people usually ask upon finding out that I'm studying linguistics is "Oh what languages do you speak?"

" :( "

Frankly, I'm just showing off because the declension system is making me want to die right now.  That, and the fact that I know... what, 25 verbs?  Maybe?  If that?

But seriously

Why

Fucking declensions.  Also, why does Russian have something like 5 different words for "study," and a billion different little noises you make to add emphasis and ... and...

Okay, frankly, this feels horrible sometimes.  Like now, when I feel rather convinced that I will never speak Russian past a couple of grunts on the subject of how great peasants are.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25010 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:17 am »

BLARG. I can't get that malware Open Office off my damn machine. I'm checking the control panel, but it's taking ages to load.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25011 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31:35 am »

Well hey, peasants are pretty great. But still.

I really don't have the time for lessons right now, would you advocate one of those language PC programs you can buy? I'm not holding out for them being any more than a load of cobblers but you never know.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25012 on: March 21, 2011, 02:34:57 am »

BLARG. I can't get that malware Open Office off my damn machine. I'm checking the control panel, but it's taking ages to load.

-.^ Malware? What's wrong with it?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25013 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:33 am »

I really don't have the time for lessons right now, would you advocate one of those language PC programs you can buy? I'm not holding out for them being any more than a load of cobblers but you never know.

Здарово мужики!

("Wonderful peasants" was one of the first things I learned how to say in Russian)

I've never found Rosetta Stone of much use--not the older ones, anyway.  The newer ones can be helpful, but for things like Russian it can frankly be really hard to figure out what on earth the pictures are supposed to be referring to.  I'd just go to buy a textbook.

The one I'm using is called Nachalo, and it's actually surprisingly good.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25014 on: March 21, 2011, 02:39:11 am »

Okay, frankly, this feels horrible sometimes.  Like now, when I feel rather convinced that I will never speak Russian past a couple of grunts on the subject of how great peasants are.
Well, it all has to start somewhere right? 25 becomes 255 before you know it.

Just try to think about how many languages you'll be able to learn much more easily once you master the case system. Plus having an instrumental case is so much more elegant than our system of throwing around prepositions.

I've never found Rosetta Stone of much use--not the older ones, anyway.  The newer ones can be helpful, but for things like Russian it can frankly be really hard to figure out what on earth the pictures are supposed to be referring to.  I'd just go to buy a textbook.

Yeah, I tried out the Rosetta Stone for French and it seemed like it could be a nice supplement (if it wasn't so damned expensive) but all in all it was extremely boring.

I've heard good things about the Pimsleur audio tapes, but I think constantly hearing the language you're learning spoken is gonna be beneficial no matter how it's organized.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25015 on: March 21, 2011, 02:42:03 am »

-.^ Malware? What's wrong with it?
I finally got around to installing MS office a few weeks ago. I've been trying to remove it ever since. I only now thought of using the add/remove panel to remove it.

It is/was a 4/3 the size of MSO, it is a huge drain on my comp's tightly budgeted resources when it runs, it won't leave my documents alone, and it's been fuck ass hard to get off. That makes it equal malware in my mind.

In other news, when trying to track down open office in the remove panel, I accidentally deleted dongs.exe because I thought it was a virus, because of the gibberish characters. :'(

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25016 on: March 21, 2011, 02:43:01 am »

>.<
So tired, thank god for only having a few hours of work today
*Hugs*

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25017 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:44 am »

Bleh. Same situation.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25018 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:59 am »

Здарово мужики!

("Wonderful peasants" was one of the first things I learned how to say in Russian)

Why didn't I think of that? Man, it's like the first thing that goes through my head is "books! Like word documents but compacter! What will they think of next?"

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25019 on: March 21, 2011, 02:54:56 am »

Well, it all has to start somewhere right? 25 becomes 255 before you know it.

I find your use of that exact value highly suspect.

>.<
So tired, thank god for only having a few hours of work today
What is it with you and your dread of resting? =P
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.
Pages: 1 ... 1666 1667 [1668] 1669 1670 ... 8167