Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1650 1651 [1652] 1653 1654 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449454 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #24765 on: March 18, 2011, 08:02:51 am »

The infinitive is cute, though gerunds are much nicer.
Also, the real fun is in interwoven phrase structure, like the subject complement clause being tangled up with a predicative nominal clause, with bits of the two scattered around the main clause until you need to hunt them down word by word.
Predicate nominatives are a type of subject complement, so I dunno what you're trying to say here.

I've always had an easy time with spelling and structuring language (as well as vocabulary) - that came seemingly instinctively to me. Could never bring myself pay attention to the grammatical parts of the Swedish (or English, for that matter) classes, though, so I have no idea what all those fancy latin words for stuff means. I guess this is also part of why grammar and "laws" always seemed unnecessary to me - I never needed them in the first place. It always makes me feel stupid when people throw them around, though.
Anyone who tells you there are grammatical "laws" needs to read a book written after 1924.

And grammar education is pretty much worthless. Most people don't make many grammatical errors.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24766 on: March 18, 2011, 08:04:14 am »

This may be a stupid question, but are people who spell it 'grammer' actually honestly wrong, or are they just trollin'?

Also I am the Grammar King. I know what an infinitive is, and how to split it, and why the rule not to split it is fucking silly.

The infinitive is cute, though gerunds are much nicer.
Also, the real fun is in interwoven phrase structure, like the subject complement clause being tangled up with a predicative nominal clause, with bits of the two scattered around the main clause until you need to hunt them down word by word.

+1 for saying that with a split infinitive. Of course, I've never heard anyone insist that it's invariably wrong except grade-school English teachers and idiots that think English is a Romance language and should follow all Latin uses.

Not even all Romance languages follow Latin structure entirely. Sure, the English language made off with about 70-80% of its words from Latin, but it's goddamn Germainc.

Exactly. But that's where a lot of nonsense comes from. "It's impossible to split an infinitive in Latin because it's a word form and not a pair of words. That means that we should treat the English infinitive as one word even though it's clearly two and must never ever be willing to wrongly split them."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24767 on: March 18, 2011, 08:17:10 am »

Anyone who tells you there are grammatical "laws" needs to read a book written after 1924.
That's exactly what I tell those who do. Often in a very ranty tone of voice, unfortunately ;D. My grandmother, an old teacher, feels the exact opposite way. I have spent many family dinners with fists clenched, trying hard to keep my objections from being anything more than a questioning look on my face.

And grammar education is pretty much worthless. Most people don't make many grammatical errors.
In their native language, perhaps. English/second language grammar lessons are very much needed for many people.
edit: That might have sounded more elitist than I intended, in light of previous posts.. I'd like to add that I myself do not believe I somehow learned the English "structuring" without the grammar lessons, just that I never needed it as much as others around me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:23:02 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24768 on: March 18, 2011, 08:18:13 am »

Predicate nominatives are a type of subject complement, so I dunno what you're trying to say here.

Mistranslation on my part most likely. I haven't really gotten the grasp of the English terminology yet.
I was referring to having two subordinate clauses scattered throughout each-other and the main clause, and having to track down the words from each clause one by one to figure out what kind of clause you're dealing with. Romance languages especially have a really fun habit of tossing their clauses in the blender and serving you the resulting mishmash.

Exactly. But that's where a lot of nonsense comes from. "It's impossible to split an infinitive in Latin because it's a word form and not a pair of words. That means that we should treat the English infinitive as one word even though it's clearly two and must never ever be willing to wrongly split them."

What is this I don't even.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24769 on: March 18, 2011, 08:33:45 am »

I'm not joking. That's exactly where the split infinitive rule came from.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24770 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:13 am »

Mistranslation on my part most likely. I haven't really gotten the grasp of the English terminology yet.
I was referring to having two subordinate clauses scattered throughout each-other and the main clause, and having to track down the words from each clause one by one to figure out what kind of clause you're dealing with. Romance languages especially have a really fun habit of tossing their clauses in the blender and serving you the resulting mishmash.
Okay, I see what you were saying. I was thinking of something like a relative clause inside an identifying clause inside another sentence like ". . .because he is what I become. . ."

In their native language, perhaps. English/second language grammar lessons are very much needed for many people.
edit: That might have sounded more elitist than I intended, in light of previous posts.. I'd like to add that I myself do not believe I somehow learned the English "structuring" without the grammar lessons, just that I never needed it as much as others around me.
I didn't think it sounded elitist. It's very important to learn the grammar of a second language. It's difficult to teach grammar in a way that's going to be applicable though. The best way to learn it is probably by conversing with native speakers.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #24771 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:45 am »

So. Much. Talk. About. GRAMMAR!

*runs screaming.*
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24772 on: March 18, 2011, 08:47:35 am »

I'm not joking. That's exactly where the split infinitive rule came from.

But... but... English verbal structure is painfully and obviously Germanic. What has Latin infinitive structure have to do with anything?
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24773 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:57 am »

It mostly has to do with English speakers following on the coattails of the Academie francaise and appealing to Latin authority. Well before the founding of linguistics as a legitimate science. Probably even before Grimm.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24774 on: March 18, 2011, 08:52:57 am »

Life made me sad today.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24775 on: March 18, 2011, 08:53:18 am »

Life made me sad today.
What happened?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24776 on: March 18, 2011, 08:59:17 am »

Life made me sad today.
What happened?

Vague sense of regret, angst and despair over my life as of yet, not to mention an almost crippling fear for my future.

My dad says I'm a few decades too young to have a mid-life crisis.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #24777 on: March 18, 2011, 09:00:15 am »

Nothing like getting it over early I guess :/
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24778 on: March 18, 2011, 09:00:52 am »

Eh, it'll be over in no time. Been there, done that.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24779 on: March 18, 2011, 09:02:35 am »

I just think family money problems just exacerbated said angst.

It's been going on for forever :v
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 1650 1651 [1652] 1653 1654 ... 8167