Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1536 1537 [1538] 1539 1540 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448195 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #23055 on: February 22, 2011, 07:06:54 am »

It should also be mentioned that psychoanalysis doesn't work, and that his theories were not based on the scientific method, and that thus, they're little more than musings. Sometimes interesting musings, I'll grant you that.

"a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."

He never said any of his theories where absolute and heavily modified or even changed them completely over a long period of years, so I don't see why his findings aren't based on it.
Many of now accepted theories started of as musings, but became accepted because technology developed to a level where we could prove them, or we failed to prove them wrong.
I must assume you know only little of his work, if you can simply write it of just like that.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23056 on: February 22, 2011, 07:29:25 am »

Bloody weathermen said we were getting around 2-4 inches of snow with a layer of ice, easily enough to cancel school.

We ACTUALLY got less than an inch.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23057 on: February 22, 2011, 07:42:56 am »

Many of now accepted theories started of as musings, but became accepted because technology developed to a level where we could prove them, or we failed to prove them wrong.

In case you're not aware, the entire basis of psychoanalysis is interpretation, which is subject to all sorts of arbitary and unscientific things (such as, you know, the personality/life experiences/personal biases/cultural biases/mental state/mood/hormone status/etc. of the examiner, the time of day, the day of the week, the positions of the stars, and presumably some miscellaneous things, such as the patient's birthday).

Freud made a lot of stuff up came to a lot of conclusions based entirely on his own judgement which subsequently couldn't be empirically tested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23058 on: February 22, 2011, 07:54:46 am »

I'd just like to say that North Carolina invented flying, and is therefor better than both Canada and Colorado. Itdoesn'tmatterthatthewrightbrotherswerefromutahshutup!

Flight was invented in Ohio. it was just tested in Utah. Kinda like how A-bombs weren't invented in New Mexico.

Freud wasn't a crackpot, the biggest problem with his theories was that he based them on a patient base largely composed of sexually-repressed upper-class housewives in an age that thought female sexual pleasure or desire was medically impossible. He then assumed that all people were like that group.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23059 on: February 22, 2011, 08:40:10 am »

In case you're not aware, the entire basis of psychoanalysis is interpretation, which is subject to all sorts of arbitary and unscientific things (such as, you know, the personality/life experiences/personal biases/cultural biases/mental state/mood/hormone status/etc. of the examiner, the time of day, the day of the week, the positions of the stars, and presumably some miscellaneous things, such as the patient's birthday).

Freud made a lot of stuff up came to a lot of conclusions based entirely on his own judgement which subsequently couldn't be empirically tested.

They couldn't be empirically tested by the time, he "made them up". But at lot has recieved empiraical validation later, trough neuroscience and other clinical researchers.
For example his concepts regarding libido, drives, the unconcious, repression, or the repetition compulsion.

So yeah I guess he was really "lucky" to pinpoint these things, by "wild guesses" and his "unscientific methods".
Meh, probably pointless to discuss, since psychology departments in the USA declared him and his teachings dead and we all know they make the rules for everyone else >.>

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23060 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:00 am »

I'd just like to say that North Carolina invented flying, and is therefor better than both Canada and Colorado. Itdoesn'tmatterthatthewrightbrotherswerefromutahshutup!
and also in the great path for any hurricanes.
North Carolina's hockey team is called the Hurricanes. We are the masters of the meteorological phenomenon known as the hurricane. If we so wished, Colorado could be underwater every hurricane season!
actually being mile high and everything, you would be drowned before you kill us off, and thats just in Denver. Anyways a storm up here is nothing, your rain? turns to snow and we slide down on it everyday.

ok please stop me
Joke's on you, mountain boy. North Carolinians have evolved gills, and will be fine if we flood North America. Have fun drowning in your new South Arctic Ocean!

He's not joking. We had to develop gills to be able to breathe in August, when the relative humidity is approximately 7000%. We've also developed power systems that run entirely on pork fat. And our pigs have gills too.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23061 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:34 pm »

The gig that was supposed to be tonight was cancelled, apparently the band could not cross the border for some reason, damn bastard country
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23062 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:21 pm »

Just beat Magicka for the third time, going for Mission Improbable (Beat it in less than four hours).  I went from Havindr to the end of the game in about an hour and a half judging by the clock but apparently I spent too much time in the first three missions?

Lame.
Shoes...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23063 on: February 22, 2011, 01:22:23 pm »

You losers just had a windy field to try it out on. It was planned in Ohio! Built in Ohio! Tested in your glory-stealing state! "First in flight" HA!

Ohio shall always reign supreme in the arena of aviation! (How many astronauts do YOU have, glory-thieves?)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23064 on: February 22, 2011, 01:24:56 pm »

You losers just had a windy field to try it out on. It was planned in Ohio! Built in Ohio! Tested in your glory-stealing state! "First in flight" HA!

Ohio shall always reign supreme in the arena of aviation! (How many astronauts do YOU have, glory-thieves?)
Enough to successfully steal your glory obviously.  :P
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23065 on: February 22, 2011, 01:26:19 pm »

which is none, North Carolina has jackshit aeronautical wise.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23066 on: February 22, 2011, 01:28:22 pm »

Cuuuurrrse yoooouuuu North Caroninaaaaaa!!!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23067 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:33 pm »

I have a speech class that meets once a month which met today. There was a group project we were supposed to turn in today, but one member didn't show up and another dropped this morning, so I was alone. I didn't have all the information on the paper, so my project was mostly incorrectly done. Going up on the stage I completely choked, 30 seconds of dead air and absolutely nothing of what I studied in my head. And just to kick me in the teeth I lost the dress shoes I brought along to fulfill the professional clothes requirement.

I spoke with the professor after class and she understood everything that went on and suggested I either drop the class or try for a late-start class. Which got me thinking of what would happen if I dropped this class, as meeting once a month isn't gonna work with my speech and class anxiety. Due to financial aid I must take 12 credits of classes to receive this aid. Dropping this class puts me under that and I would have to return the money, meaning if I drop one class I would have to drop all of them or pay some huge fines. One of my math courses cannot be taken again, one required to graduate. If I drop out I cannot ever take it again at this college. Dropping a class now basically means dropping out of college.

My only hope is a late starting class I can register for, but I don't know if they are filled yet.

I am fucked over by my own anxiety over failure.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23068 on: February 22, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

Except for two Air Force bases, one ginormous Army base housing an Airborne corps, a Marine Corps base with integrated air wing and a Naval Air Station.

Bring it, Buckeye Boy!  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23069 on: February 22, 2011, 01:54:21 pm »

Except for two Air Force bases, one ginormous Army base housing an Airborne corps, a Marine Corps base with integrated air wing and a Naval Air Station.

Bring it, Buckeye Boy!  :P
lets see, we got NORAD, our buddies Wyoming is a nuke hole
Pages: 1 ... 1536 1537 [1538] 1539 1540 ... 8167