Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454208 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #22710 on: February 19, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »

Weddings: one (my cousin, a couple weeks after being dumped)

Funerals/wakes: three (my cousin [when I was 7 and he was 14], my grandfather, my grandmother), possibly more that I've forgotten about.

I still kind of hate myself for not going to one of my grandfathers' wakes.  He was the mathematically-inclined one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22711 on: February 19, 2011, 02:40:29 pm »

One wedding, two receptions (Unless you account receptions attended as a waiter at a banquet hall, in which case more than I care to remember).  One wedding was my godparents Fred and Carla, the receptions were the same and my parents' renewal-of-vows.

One funeral, one wake.  The funeral was for a great aunt I never knew, and I don't know who the wake was for, as I was very young and literally just remembered it while reading this thread.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22712 on: February 19, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »

... My mom just told me that I might need to pretend that I'm starving in the near future, so that no one will think that I have food that they can take from me.

Goddammit, I love living here, but sometimes it's reminders like this that I really don't need.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22713 on: February 19, 2011, 04:25:58 pm »

... My mom just told me that I might need to pretend that I'm starving in the near future, so that no one will think that I have food that they can take from me.

Goddammit, I love living here, but sometimes it's reminders like this that I really don't need.
thats a pretty messed up thing to say to anyone, are you're in a bad neighborhood?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22714 on: February 19, 2011, 04:26:36 pm »

No.  No we are not.

By here I meant "in the house of my mother," who will entertain any and every idea.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22715 on: February 19, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »

Wow, that's weird. I can't imagine living in a place where people would steal food from each other, yet not steal food because they can't let someone starve. If someone really needs your food, they'll take it anyway. You never know, I suppose.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22716 on: February 19, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »

I'm not really sure how she expects you to pretend to be starving. It's sort of apparent who's starving and who's not. I'd be suprised if anyone could fake starvation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22717 on: February 19, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

Wow, that's weird. I can't imagine living in a place where people would steal food from each other, yet not steal food because they can't let someone starve. If someone really needs your food, they'll take it anyway. You never know, I suppose.

I believe it was "looking like you have nothing to steal."

I'm not really sure how she expects you to pretend to be starving. It's sort of apparent who's starving and who's not. I'd be suprised if anyone could fake starvation.

Maybe she just meant "hungry and with no food to spare."  I'll admit that I wasn't paying that much attention.

She also gave me advice on how to make my face look thinner >_>

Then again, this is the same woman who taught me how to fix missing zipper teeth with thread, in case I don't have enough money to buy a new zipper.  Yup.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22718 on: February 19, 2011, 04:46:38 pm »

Hey, you never know when that could come in handy.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22719 on: February 19, 2011, 04:47:52 pm »

Hey, you never know when that could come in handy.

Definitely true.  I hate buying things anyway, and would probably rather go through the effort of fixing a zipper with thread than I would learning how to drive, buying a zipper, and then sewing the thing on >_>

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22720 on: February 19, 2011, 04:49:06 pm »

Yes, at least she's being helpful. Though it sort of implies she doesn't think you're going to do very well financially when her financial suggestion is "pretend to own nothing so that nobody will steal from you".

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22721 on: February 19, 2011, 04:50:19 pm »

No, no--she's saying "you're likely to not be on the bottom in the new society, so you'd better learn how to act like one of the crowd if people start getting desperate."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22722 on: February 19, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »

That sounds, unpleasant. The people who are on the bottom don't have a very good reputation I assume?
*Hugs*

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22723 on: February 19, 2011, 04:59:21 pm »

I think it's the old begetting principal. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Rich people are offered things, and poor people are pushed away or ignored. So to put it.

Inversely, rich people are better targets to take from, for they carry higher value; whereas poor people are worse targets to take from, for they carry less value.

In a sense, I think what you're trying to be taught is that if you're in a financially good situation, don't flaunt it too much. Vector's point is a good reference.

Kinda like when winning the lottery or something, it's good to be generous, but get too generous, and problems can come from the least expected sources.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22724 on: February 19, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »

That sounds, unpleasant. The people who are on the bottom don't have a very good reputation I assume?

More like "people who don't have resources will often do just about anything to survive, and we're about to be thrown into a world crisis--which will likely mean even more disparity."  She was basically on one meal a day during college and has had jobs in foundries.  She hasn't hit rock bottom before, but she's been in some pretty terrible situations... and my dad spent years cleaning parks and living on nothing but tomato-and-tuna-fish sandwiches.  I dunno why people keep thinking this of me, but it's not like my family is "old money" or mega-rich.  I'm not a trust fund kid, and I was told in no uncertain terms at age 5 or so that I could either have a. new things sometimes or b. an education.  I still measure everything I buy in terms of how many books I could get for it, which is why I basically never eat anything more expensive than rice, potatoes, and onions unless it would be a learning experience.

I don't know about you, but if I were starving I'm pretty darned sure my morals would loosen up.

Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 8167