Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1497 1498 [1499] 1500 1501 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466007 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #22470 on: February 13, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »

And yeah, oatmeal is magic when it comes to that. I remember when I was young and had issues with that and was forced to eat oatmeal my parents prepared, which meant raw as hell oats and water only.
 Bleugh.

Yeah, this is the oatmeal I grew up with.  My dad used to eat them without boiling--just pour hot water or juice over them... blech.

It's one of the few foods that can make me nauseated even when it's made the way it's supposed to be.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22471 on: February 13, 2011, 10:56:16 pm »

Oh, dear. My growing infatuation with my Latin teacher is giving me an existential crisis. For a while there, I almost felt like posting in LA. This is rather not too stellar.

Take the advice from the proto-indo-european guy's thread

EVERYONE thought of that thread after seeing that?!?!

A guy chanting "Re*hkele" had a bigger impact on the collective memory of the forums than anyone had foreseen
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22472 on: February 13, 2011, 10:57:58 pm »

EVERYONE thought of that thread after seeing that?!?!

A guy chanting "Re*hkele" had a bigger impact on the collective memory of the forums than anyone had foreseen

Yes.  Because I am everyone.

Also because he posted an ode to this particular woman later, which really reinforced it in my mind >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22473 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24:53 pm »

Yes.  Because I am everyone.

*ahem*

Chant her name in Latin.

Copy that one guy and chant it "proto-indo-asian-european'" or whatever his preferred crazy peoples tongue was.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22474 on: February 13, 2011, 11:29:41 pm »

Yet again I put everything off and completely failed to do anything for my online Speech class this week. The only reason I can think of putting all this off for this long is fear, but why the hell am I so scared in a subconscious level that I can't bring myself to do my course work? It's beyond laziness and apathy, at least when I had those I would try to do stuff when down to the wire. this is just me not caring anymore, and that paradoxally worries me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22475 on: February 13, 2011, 11:57:39 pm »

I've put off applying to graduate school for a year and a half.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22476 on: February 14, 2011, 01:49:56 am »

did Iceball say 'Server' constipation, or 'Severe' constipation?

Because I'm pretty sure Sever isn't the adjective to use there.

I initially read Server.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #22477 on: February 14, 2011, 06:33:30 am »

Eat fruit and drink a lot of water.  Also oatmeal.  That stuff will clean you out like no one's business.
Haven't seen fruit in a while... Oatmeal might work when I find the time for it, and water. Thanks.
did Iceball say 'Server' constipation, or 'Severe' constipation?

Because I'm pretty sure Sever isn't the adjective to use there.

I initially read Server.
>_<
Fixed.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22478 on: February 14, 2011, 06:48:44 am »

About 30 hours until my big intimidating ol' midterm. The thing about this class is that no matter how much I study or how confident I feel coming out of the exam, I can't seem to get a mark higher than a mid-40, despite having never gotten worse than a high-60s in any other class ever. Last semester I failed the midterm and the exam, and it was only my great essay mark that saved me from flunking the entire class. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and since other people in the class have been reporting the same thing (as far as we can tell, nobody's gotten any sort of good or even acceptable mark on any of the tests) I'm not inclined to even blame myself. This teacher must just be ripping the class apart with her marking style, whatever it could possibly be. I have no idea what she expects, and as strong as I feel about the material right now, I'm certain I'll be getting a mid-40s on this as well. I hate bullshit where teachers just try and show off how tough they are by being assholes, instead of helping you learn like their job is supposed to do.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22479 on: February 14, 2011, 06:51:26 am »

I have an exam in...2 hours. Haven't studied nowhere near enough  >:(

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22480 on: February 14, 2011, 07:54:19 am »

Shit happened, physical therapy hurt, computer speakers still don't work.

God fucking damn it.
...physical therapy? What have you been up to?
I guess if you were in an accident, that would explain your quite sudden disappearance from the forums, as well as your continued absence.

About 30 hours until my big intimidating ol' midterm. The thing about this class is that no matter how much I study or how confident I feel coming out of the exam, I can't seem to get a mark higher than a mid-40, despite having never gotten worse than a high-60s in any other class ever. Last semester I failed the midterm and the exam, and it was only my great essay mark that saved me from flunking the entire class. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and since other people in the class have been reporting the same thing (as far as we can tell, nobody's gotten any sort of good or even acceptable mark on any of the tests) I'm not inclined to even blame myself. This teacher must just be ripping the class apart with her marking style, whatever it could possibly be. I have no idea what she expects, and as strong as I feel about the material right now, I'm certain I'll be getting a mid-40s on this as well. I hate bullshit where teachers just try and show off how tough they are by being assholes, instead of helping you learn like their job is supposed to do.
Pardon my naiveté, but can't you and the class band together and ask her? Teaching is what they are supposed to do, after all. Or does she just plain out refuse to speak with you about it/explain further?
Love, scriver~

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22481 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:49 am »

I was kind of dizzy , that scared me :(
Desu

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22482 on: February 14, 2011, 09:17:57 am »

Pardon my naiveté, but can't you and the class band together and ask her? Teaching is what they are supposed to do, after all. Or does she just plain out refuse to speak with you about it/explain further?

It's a lot more of the latter. She doesn't refuse to speak to us about it or anything, but where we differ is that I think the most important part of testing students on their grasping of concepts is if they can prove they understand it and its implications, while she seems to feel that if the student has memorized the exact phrasing of a concept, whether or not they understand it, that's a much better indicator of how good they are with the material. Feels like a really old-school approach to me, and it's not like she's unwilling to help us study or anything, but... she has the most specific criteria for getting points that it's impossible to hit them at all. I guess the reason I do fine on the essays is because that's where she's looking for understanding of concepts, while she treats tests like a judge of how good one is at exact memorization and regurgitation.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22483 on: February 14, 2011, 09:58:25 am »

Suffering from cave adaptation <.<

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22484 on: February 14, 2011, 10:43:59 am »

Psychology is really pissing me off.

First there is the professor that has a terrible note-taking habit of listing a bunch of idea on the board, talking about one then cutting to a new subject altogether halfway through the current one, then returning to the original one. So I'll have to guess how much content is left and leave enough space to add it later while I cover the segway that could be covered just as easily later. All this does is make me either not have enough space for some notes ahve have to consolidate a few sentences to the middle of nowhere or have huge empty swaths that are not large enough to fill with small notes.
 Then when I ask perfectly valid questions, like how an Axon Terminal specifies which neurotransmitters are released, she goes into a rant on how the body already understands it all and we don't need to understand it ourselves to have it work. Just a five-minute little rant that basically just says she doesn't know. I understand if you studied under the psychological field and didn't get into the biology of it, but I don't appreciate the rant professor.
 And finally we got our reaction papers back, leaving me with a score of 4/15. Upon asking about it I found out that the paper was about our own reaction to our own experiences with some information gained from an online assignment and not our reaction to the assignment itself. I cited directly to the syllabus where it stated the paper was on our reaction to the assignment and what we learned, not how we apply it to our own problems and whatever, and she just said to do it correctly next time.

And yet this is not what pissed me off the most. Oh, no, the students got to me the most. We were split into groups to do a group assignment(AGGGHHHHHHUURRRGGGG) and they spent the whole rest of the class wondering what they were supposed to do. The section we were supposed to work on was basically a summary of the Eye structure, Visual Cortex and some perceptual stuff I already knew from art class. I told them as such, basically said everything that could be said from the section to them, and they were still lost on what to do. For fucks sake, I don't even have the textbook due to financial aid dickery and I know more about the section from peeping at it in another students book during class and raging uncontrollably at all of you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 1497 1498 [1499] 1500 1501 ... 8167