Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1484 1485 [1486] 1487 1488 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9470983 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #22275 on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:28 pm »

Speak for yourself. When I went from Christian to Atheist it was because I was incredibly depressed to the point of attempting suicide at one point and didn't think a kind and good god would let me suffer like that.

I was eight.

You say that you're an athiest, but that's just because of a religious bias towards the modern western faiths. You fail to take into consideration that historically the pantheons of most religions have had relatively lax entry requirements for divinity and a valid argument could be made for some of them that any jackass with a Tesla Coil could qualify...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22276 on: February 11, 2011, 10:55:49 pm »

Speak for yourself. When I went from Christian to Atheist it was because I was incredibly depressed to the point of attempting suicide at one point and didn't think a kind and good god would let me suffer like that.

I was eight.

You say that you're an athiest, but that's just because of a religious bias towards the modern western faiths. You fail to take into consideration that historically the pantheons of most religions have had relatively lax entry requirements for divinity and a valid argument could be made for some of them that any jackass with a Tesla Coil could qualify...
Friend, if someone claims to be an atheist, they probably mean it. Changing the requirements for godhood does little.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22277 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:17 pm »

Eh, 'most' Atheists are a lot like 'most' Christians. They don't do any research, no real looking around and deciding on something, just doing it because of their parents and friends. But ultimately so long as a person doesn't bother others with their beliefs it doesn't matter how much they have researched it. It is a bit of an issue when people say they don't like religion when they really mean they don't like Christianity/Catholicism/Judaism/the people inside and not the faith itself/small technical details, but again so long as you don't bother others about it there is no big problem with it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22278 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:22 pm »

Yeha, you wouldn't believe how many people I've met who are atheists because "Seth McFarlane said there's no god."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22279 on: February 11, 2011, 11:12:08 pm »

Yeha, you wouldn't believe how many people I've met who are atheists because "Seth McFarlane said there's no god."

Oh wow, people value he's opinion? This is new! I'm thinking if people listen to him, just think of the cult I could pull off! The possibiltys!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22280 on: February 11, 2011, 11:12:59 pm »

I'm sad because I missed 'Explosion Friday' in chemistry because I was sick. On the bright side I missed 'dull Data Management' because I was sick too... Now if only I wasn't completely worn out and starving.

Max, I see what you did there.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22281 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:07 pm »

Eh, 'most' Atheists are a lot like 'most' Christians. They don't do any research, no real looking around and deciding on something, just doing it because of their parents and friends.
I would have to say that, from his story, GamerKnight probably does not fall under that catagory.

Really? I've never heard that particular reasoning before. Ah, how people are apt to blindly follow others in any situation. Sort of depressing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22282 on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:56 pm »

Oh wow, people value he's opinion? This is new! I'm thinking if people listen to him, just think of the cult I could pull off! The possibiltys!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is a totally inappropriate analogy. Seth McFarlane is much more worthy of veneration than L.Ron Hubbard.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22283 on: February 11, 2011, 11:25:56 pm »

Shower broke and thanks to the design we had to shut it off at the main (or somesuch), this means no running water.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22284 on: February 12, 2011, 12:07:52 am »

Been there.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22285 on: February 12, 2011, 12:09:42 am »

Yeah, the entire hot water tap came right out.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22286 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:10 am »

I'm not an agnostic so much as a christian in a permanent crisis of faith.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22287 on: February 12, 2011, 12:46:04 am »

I'm not an agnostic so much as a christian in a permanent crisis of faith.

I concur with Tack on this one.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22288 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:57 am »

I'm not an agnostic so much as an atheist in a permanent crisis of lack of faith.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22289 on: February 12, 2011, 12:53:41 am »

So does that mean you want to believe but you can't see it happening any time soon or are you cracking a joke?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 1484 1485 [1486] 1487 1488 ... 8167