Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 [1478] 1479 1480 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473731 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #22155 on: February 11, 2011, 01:32:52 am »

[snip] osmosis [/snip]
Ima stop you right there. Osmosis is a form of diffusion specifically for water. People use them like they are interchangeable. That's one of the big misconceptions that really irks me. [/sciencenazi]
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22156 on: February 11, 2011, 01:41:18 am »

But it's an appropriate metaphor, because there's definitely more knowledge outside of my head than in it and osmosis is a much nicer word than diffusion >_>

I'll keep that in mind, though.  Thanks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22157 on: February 11, 2011, 01:44:30 am »

If that type is garlic, then I know your pain >_>

There's garlic tea? That is so awesome, I want some.

Also, in response to the little argument I started about the whole criminal rehabilitation thing, just so my position is clear, this is my take on it:
My contention would be that the recidivism rate would probably be a lot lower if prior criminal conviction wasn't a de facto guarantee of never getting honest work again.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22158 on: February 11, 2011, 02:08:04 am »

But it's an appropriate metaphor, because there's definitely more knowledge outside of my head than in it and osmosis is a much nicer word than diffusion >_>

I'll keep that in mind, though.  Thanks.
Rarg, nevermind. Google dictionary claims that when used in the context of knowledge, that is proper usage. Carry on as if I'd never been here.
Code: [Select]
The process of gradual or unconscious assimilation of ideas, knowledge, etc
what she knows of the blue-blood set she learned not through birthright, not even through wealth, but through osmosis
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22159 on: February 11, 2011, 02:12:11 am »

I always imagined Osmosis as what happened to a few too many of my D&D characters upon meeting a certain jelly-like Cube.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22160 on: February 11, 2011, 02:15:38 am »

I love lady grey tea. I fell in love with it at boarding school.

Anyway, I told the girl that I like that I've been hunting, and she was very shocked and surprised. And angry.
And this was when I told her about the hunting with rifles.

Note to all fellow faceless out there: When you try to be someone for everyone, everyone doesn't like the someone you are on the other side. Usually I use that to make normal people open up their perceptions of gamers, but I've never had it happen the other way. I mean, how do you say 'See! Even people who take pride in killing helpless animals can be compassionate, sensitive and kind!'.
I mean, to me that just seems sick.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22161 on: February 11, 2011, 02:44:47 am »

Hey man, if you actually do it for food and not sport then I'd think there's a real sense of achievement. And fuck what anyone else says, you're you.

I want to go hunting some time.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22162 on: February 11, 2011, 02:50:18 am »

Hah. I don't do it for food. I do it for population control. Just for another way to prove that humans are the most pretentious creatures on earth. Not only do we introduce species, but in order to make sure that they don't overrun the natives which we eat to survive, we make a sport out of killing them.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22163 on: February 11, 2011, 02:51:39 am »

Were you trying to kill her ingame, or just generally shock her?

because it sounds like you didn't get much lovin in with that.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22164 on: February 11, 2011, 03:31:16 am »

Population control of introduced species is probably one of the few reasons for hunting I agree with. It's not being humane to let them devour everything, and then all die slowly of starvation. Of course it would be nice if there was a nicer way, like re-locating them all, but that seems highly unlikely, difficult and costly.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22165 on: February 11, 2011, 04:21:32 am »

Osmosis is a spell for stealing MP

And I don't have a problem with hunting.  Never done it personally, but have plenty of family that do.  It's perfectly natural, in my opinion, even if done only for sport.  I take far more issue with factory farming.

I'm really fed up with the state of animal rights issues these days (like with most things).  It's so ridiculously polarized.  Activitists seem to have base their stances mostly on emotional reaction, and everyone else sees the emotional aspect of it and assumes they're stupid and have nothing of value to say.

I don't know if anyone here knows of Derrick Jensen, but he has my favorite quote on this issue... even though he claims it comes from a conversation with a tree.  "When you consume the flesh of another creature, you become responsible for the well-being of that creature's community."  Basically so long as we don't take too much from or return too little back to our environment, we're within bounds.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:33:16 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22166 on: February 11, 2011, 05:22:11 am »

Population control, that's good too, yeah. I'll admit that I really want to shoot at a rabbit but I'm pretty sure that's normal teenage bloodlust.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22167 on: February 11, 2011, 05:28:28 am »

Ima stop you right there. Osmosis is a form of diffusion specifically for water. People use them like they are interchangeable. That's one of the big misconceptions that really irks me.
Are you sure about that? I thought it could be applied to solvents in general. It's just that water is the most common example by far.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22168 on: February 11, 2011, 05:29:34 am »

Population control, that's good too, yeah. I'll admit that I really want to shoot at a rabbit but I'm pretty sure that's normal teenage bloodlust.

it's okay, we all love you, put the gun down, and step away from the ledge.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22169 on: February 11, 2011, 05:35:44 am »

Hah. I don't do it for food. I do it for population control. Just for another way to prove that humans are the most pretentious creatures on earth. Not only do we introduce species, but in order to make sure that they don't overrun the natives which we eat to survive, we make a sport out of killing them.
You know whats overrunning the natives of all enviroments? People. Too many of em, and we are starving the less well off of ourselfs to death. You should hunt people instead (and im sure humans would provide the most sport as well, so its a win-win situation).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:38:29 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 [1478] 1479 1480 ... 8167