Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473717 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #22140 on: February 10, 2011, 04:22:01 pm »

So... from the sounds if it, that warehouse exists only to trap people and extract ludicrous sums from them for damages.  Why else would you have a silent alarm on it...?

While I'm not one for conspiracy, it's certainly a trend in the local legal system.  When I went to court for the actual arraignment, every other case on the docket that day was people about my age, being charged with various forms of trespassing and property crime.  Probably because they handle them all on the same day, and it's a "normal" number for the type, but who knows.  I do know this: if you go to the town where the county courthouse and jail are seated, it is immediately obvious that the government edifice and the ring of law offices around it are the only appreciable economic engine the town has left.  I don't know nearly enough about the local politics to say anything about their system, but that District Attorney really casts a shadow over the whole thing for me.

I've always wondered, doesn't not hiring people based on past sentences served demonstrate a complete lack of confidence in the legal system? It's basically saying "well yeah, you served your time, you were 'rehabilitated' but as if that means shit-all in this day and age."

That's an interesting take on it, I'll have to remember that.  I always thought of it in more practical terms - statistically, recidivism is a serious problem with Americans post-criminal sentence, so businesses are loathe to hire them for fear of giving the fox keys to the henhouse and "need" the power to exclude based on that.  My contention would be that the recidivism rate would probably be a lot lower if prior criminal conviction wasn't a de facto guarantee of never getting honest work again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22141 on: February 10, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »

I wasn't thinking so much in terms of the police, more in terms of the company.  Really, I'd say putting a silent alarm and no visible security features on a building is extremely dodgy (reeks of entrapment).  You should be discouraging people from breaking in, not encouraging them and catching them sneakily (which is why having a dangerous dog in your back yard is different to having a lethal trap on your back door).

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22142 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:11 pm »

I've been having a notebook for some time now.
Some notes have been made in there, however not as much and not in the quality I would like to.

Looks like I'm horrible at taking them, even though it would really come in handy with the books I'm reading now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22143 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:55 pm »

Blues Clues needs an episode where they stop to explain that notebooks are not intrinsically handy dandy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22144 on: February 10, 2011, 05:35:05 pm »

Well it's been handy for writing letters, posts, texts and such. However I fail at curt notes... somehow.
And when you're trying to comprehend some more complicated books, than this sort of thing would be really helpful.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22145 on: February 10, 2011, 07:29:34 pm »

I can make echos in my the house now.  Moved all the furniture out then took a nap.

:/

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22146 on: February 10, 2011, 09:22:28 pm »

I've always wondered, doesn't not hiring people based on past sentences served demonstrate a complete lack of confidence in the legal system? It's basically saying "well yeah, you served your time, you were 'rehabilitated' but as if that means shit-all in this day and age."
Except that jailtime isn't time for rehabilitation. It's a punishment. When you get out, it's basically just "Don't do that again or you'll be back for more time."

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22147 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:41 pm »

Except that jailtime isn't time for rehabilitation. It's a punishment. When you get out, it's basically just "Don't do that again or you'll be back for more time."

And this is bullshit.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22148 on: February 10, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »

Several months ago, my good friend's elderly-ish mother with a brain injury fell down and broke her leg.  She went into a nursing home, and we took care of her dog and cat in the meantime.

Two weeks ago, we went to bring her back home.  Wrecked my back moving boxes.  And in the mean-time, all her mental disorders got a lot worse, along with a heaping pile of paranoia.  She is not the person she was.  My friend stayed with her for a week or so.

Last week, I went to pick my friend up again.  She's completely wrecked by the time she spent down there.  It was hell.

Today, her mother decided she didn't really need a wheelchair, and broke her leg again.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22149 on: February 10, 2011, 09:42:13 pm »

And this is bullshit.

I've had this argument with people hundreds of times "punishment doesn't teach right and wrong."  It's usually been more on the subject of kids than criminals, though.  I'm not against punishment when it's necessary, but way too many people seem to think you can just abuse a person and they'll straighten up.

And then money gets involved.  A large part of law enforcement has nothing to do with right or wrong to begin with.  It's just a way to make money for the state and/or privately owned and operated prison facilities.  Like it bothers them if they get returning customers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22150 on: February 11, 2011, 12:20:12 am »

Don't drink the wrong sort of tea on an empty stomach. This can ruin an otherwise decent morning.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22151 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:17 am »

If that type is garlic, then I know your pain >_>

A number of things are really bothering me today.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22152 on: February 11, 2011, 12:32:10 am »

Bleh, I've felt like hell all day. Depressed, lethargic, irritable, moody. I even took my meds this morning. Again, bleh.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22153 on: February 11, 2011, 12:33:10 am »

It's been "Earl Grey", but from a different producer, than the one I normally drink.
The very same which gave me chest pain yesterday :/
I should really keep away from it.

So what's bothering you if we're allowed to ask?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22154 on: February 11, 2011, 01:26:18 am »

So what's bothering you if we're allowed to ask?

It's a lot of little and bigger things.  I keep on having trouble with one of my roommates using my cooking equipment (I got the pot back, but now she keeps taking one of my knives).  Midterms are coming up (and a conversational test in Russian, which I'm not too happy about).  There's issues with older and newer friends, books I keep trying to read, things I keep forgetting to do and should really get done (I've been meaning to vacuum the crumbs off the floor of my room for two weeks now... >_> ).

Difficult math problems.

I dunno, things are going okay.  I seem to pick up most of what I need to know by osmosis and my grades are kind of terrifying at this point.  My professors like me.  But it seems like there's this next level that I'm so close to, nearly there, and I can almost reach it.

But the hard thing about this is that I feel this way every single week.  I get a little bit farther and then there's the next level waiting for me, and it's so hard to be constantly rewriting myself in this way (I mean, yes, all people change at all times, but usually I don't do it at this rate).  I haven't changed this quickly since I dropped out of school.  So exhausting...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 8167