Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499847 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21885 on: February 08, 2011, 10:34:40 am »

:'(

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21886 on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:32 am »

another great author down the hole.... *sigh*

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21887 on: February 08, 2011, 11:25:54 am »

All right, so this is my first attempt of making a thread-crossing post.

Today I was going to have a test and psychological evaluation, to determine what major might be the right one for me, when enrolling at the university.
Knowing the city, but not the exact location of the institution conducting the test, I got up 3 hours early at 5 am, so I could catch a train at 5:40 and have nearly an hour and a half to wander around the city looking for it (they've given me a map, with a appoximate route).
The train, which I looked up on the hompage of our train company didn't came. Well that's not exactly right. It was 10 minutes late and did not stop at my station.
After that I had to spend 50 minutes shivering and cursing under my breath for the next one.
That basically screwed up my plan on getting breakfast along the way and I had to test on my empty stomach.

After arriving in said city, I had only half an hour left and only a loose plan on where the institution was. Luckily I found the right bus quite quickly (it was far too late for walking). I asked the busdriver for further directions and about where exactly I had to get out. Even though I asked him several times, if he was sure about pointing me in the right direction, I ended up in front of the wrong institute. Somehow I managed to find it in the last 5 minutes that were left using the sketchy map I had, after racing down the streets like an idiot.

I managed to fuck up the part measuring my word pool, which wasn't an important part of the evaluation, but is usally my strong suit. Well, it was "around average", measured with the other graduates from the different school types.
My knowledge of math was average as well. Had I bothered leaf though my notes at home, I wouldn't have had any problems at all. I guess I'm a sad sample for the mathematical knowledge of my country.
The questions regarding the recognition of pattern were ridiculously hard, as well.

During the break and before the psychological discussion, I chugged my favorite energy drink to calm myself, since I was pretty nervous, which was rewarded with a rising heart rate, which remained constantly high for at least an hour. Afterwards exhaustion overshadowed me.

Well, time to post the other part in the happy thread.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21888 on: February 08, 2011, 11:39:40 am »

wait you needed to take a psychological extermination to get into a university? O_o

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21889 on: February 08, 2011, 11:41:22 am »

Damn, they're on to us.

To the supervillan union meeting!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21890 on: February 08, 2011, 11:51:00 am »

wait you needed to take a psychological extermination to get into a university? O_o

No, it was just supposed to help me narrow down the options I should consider, as well as provide aditional information about those.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21891 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:06 pm »

Man, through seventeen years of school, I never learned anything more about WW1 than its existence, at least in the course of any class.  Most textbooks didn't even give an entire chapter to itself for independent reading.  The way I came to understand it, was that the events of WW1 flowed directly into WW2.
...Kindof.  It's more like the stipulations imposed on Germany afterwards flowed directly into WW2 though (assuming you're sticking purely to Germany).  I'm pretty sure we learnt more about what happened before and after WW1 than during it (and most of the stuff during was about what it was like to be an ordinary person during WW1).  Then again, those are probably the areas where there's most lessons you can apply to today...

Now that I think about it, my college world history class did go into quite a bit of detail about it, namely how the European commanders tried through most of the war to approach other European armies with the kind of industrial-scale contemptuous destruction they had managed to visit on aboriginal warriors over the century prior.  Or snippets like how Britain, good little empire that it was, began the war with an artillery ammunition stockpile specifically intended to survive and win a war against Germany.  It was exhausted in nine months.
Hey, "It'll all be over by Christmas"...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21892 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:35 pm »

I locked myself out of my apartment this morning. Waking up thirty minutes before class is not conducive to momory.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21893 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:47 pm »

i can see that :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21894 on: February 08, 2011, 12:28:55 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:13:48 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21895 on: February 08, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »

News update.  Have until Friday so I'll be sleeping in a new home Thursday night.  Grandma's house is in Wolcott which is a bit of a ways away, but cool enough two of the kids in my classes are from Wolcott so it'll probably be the three of us on the bus.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21896 on: February 08, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »

How will be the web situation over there? I imagine you'll be able to move the computer well enough, and you might not have to live in an attic anymore.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21897 on: February 08, 2011, 03:11:45 pm »

My grandma has a desktop set up with a direct Ethernet connection from the modem.  I have a router I can bring over as well too for laptops.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21898 on: February 08, 2011, 04:11:45 pm »

Well at least you still have us then. And TF2?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21899 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:14 pm »

Well, I've been given a cease and desist order.

Time to go bother the education department.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 8168