Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499425 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21855 on: February 07, 2011, 07:41:54 pm »

I had to get three of my wisdom teeth taken out.  One had enough room, but it grew in sideways and got all fucked up so I'm gonna have to have it removed anyway, possibly this Wednesday.

When I got my wisdom teeth taken out one of them dry-socketed.  That was awful.  They stuck this herbal packing into the hole which hurt like hell when they put it in and since I was playing KotoR at the time now when I think about KotoR I taste cloves.
Shoes...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21856 on: February 07, 2011, 07:44:24 pm »

ergh, herbs? i thought that burned you?

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21857 on: February 07, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »

My history class just finished the WWI unit. We learned: a) How it spread across Europe, and b) How much it sucked to be a soldier on the Western front. And that's it. I've learned absolutely nothing about the war that I didn't already know. Classes have gotten far too easy.
[/post]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21858 on: February 07, 2011, 08:31:53 pm »

My history class just finished the WWI unit. We learned: a) How it spread across Europe, and b) How much it sucked to be a soldier on the Western front. And that's it. I've learned absolutely nothing about the war that I didn't already know. Classes have gotten far too easy.

Then protest and root out some more texts.  Find people to discuss them with.  There are communities on the internet, if nothing else.  Learn, and educate your fellow students, and see what you can do.  It is possible.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21859 on: February 07, 2011, 08:42:22 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:13:44 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21860 on: February 07, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »

ergh, herbs? i thought that burned you?

It was a strip of some kind of cloth soaked in oil of cloves.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21861 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:03 pm »

Ask your teacher what s/he thinks of Falkenhayn's orders at Verdun. It's reasonably basic knowledge (so if your history teacher knows anything about WW1, they should know what you're talking about) and can, ideally, start off some interesting discussion on the reasons behind why things were so terrible on the Western Front. If you've not talked about it, that's the one where the German commander (Falkenhayn) explicitly said, in essence, "We will bleed the French army", and then successfully ground about 300,000 troops (summed from both sides) into the mud over the course of 10 months. Those're just the dead, not the rest of the casualties.

My goodness, I never heard about that in my (very brief) coverage of WWI in a world history course.  That's... insane.

... Do you have any recommendations on especially good history books?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21862 on: February 07, 2011, 09:32:29 pm »

I ate buffalo wings the night my wisdom teeth were taken out.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21863 on: February 07, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:14:29 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21864 on: February 07, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »

That's so kind of you.  Thank you very much.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21865 on: February 07, 2011, 10:01:52 pm »

Man, through seventeen years of school, I never learned anything more about WW1 than its existence, at least in the course of any class.  Most textbooks didn't even give an entire chapter to itself for independent reading.  The way I came to understand it, was that the events of WW1 flowed directly into WW2.  Any historical implications of WW1 of any relevance to an Anglo-European audience would be subsumed or rewritten by WW2 anyway, so just focus on that.  Which has a certain validity to it in terms of general study, but it's still some bad short shrift.

Now that I think about it, my college world history class did go into quite a bit of detail about it, namely how the European commanders tried through most of the war to approach other European armies with the kind of industrial-scale contemptuous destruction they had managed to visit on aboriginal warriors over the century prior.  Or snippets like how Britain, good little empire that it was, began the war with an artillery ammunition stockpile specifically intended to survive and win a war against Germany.  It was exhausted in nine months.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21866 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:04 pm »

With my massive jaw, I have no trouble finding room for wisdom teeth.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21867 on: February 07, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »

urgh, i just found out the donuts in the rec room were stolen >.> but they were so good.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21868 on: February 07, 2011, 10:11:05 pm »

Bleh. Everything's making me sad lately :<
*Hugs*

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21869 on: February 07, 2011, 10:11:23 pm »

Go dam donu thieve stealin letter to!
Pages: 1 ... 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 ... 8168