Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1452 1453 [1454] 1455 1456 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498683 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21795 on: February 07, 2011, 01:20:51 pm »

I've never understood too well how the US university system works (as in literally. I lack knowledge of the process). TBH, The "openness" does sound that it might be a good idea education-wise, but doesn't it complicate the "standarization" of titles afterwards? (eg: what determines the courses that an engineer or a doctor must study?). I sort of have the impression that it might lead to confusion afterwards.

... then again, I'm thinking that European study plans are far from standard, too. The difference is that the faculties are the ones who decide which subjects to cram in a course, not the students.  Some are common to all, but even the core subjects can vary significatively from one to the next. Not much of an improvement. I hear some faculties are somewhat scorned, even, don't know to what extent that (or the inverse, that some other faculties are held in high esteem) is true (or, if true, that it translates in any practical advantage)

EDIT: I'm sad because I just lost Metzgermeister, my Ghoul Chaos Knight of Makhleb, to the ghost of El Pollo Loco, a Kenku wizard
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:31:57 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21796 on: February 07, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »

My step-Dad gave me a box telling me to pack everything I own in it.  We lost our house and I'll be living with my Grandma for awhile until we find another place.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21797 on: February 07, 2011, 01:39:44 pm »

I've never understood too well how the US university system works (as in literally. I lack knowledge of the process). TBH, The "openness" does sound that it might be a good idea education-wise, but doesn't it complicate the "standarization" of titles afterwards? (eg: what determines the courses that an engineer or a doctor must study?). I sort of have the impression that it might lead to confusion afterwards.

The philosophy, in a nutshell, is that you can take any class you like, but in order to major in degree X, you must take enough classes in the subjects of W,Y, & Z at some point.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21798 on: February 07, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »

My step-Dad gave me a box telling me to pack everything I own in it.  We lost our house and I'll be living with my Grandma for awhile until we find another place.
talk about a shitbomb, good luck my friend, my father is moving to Virginia and we are scambling to get a house over there before we can't make our house payment here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21799 on: February 07, 2011, 01:50:16 pm »

...one question though: Wouldn't 6Z be a subgroup of 3Z simply because all multiples of 6 are also multiples of 3? Though there's a good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about. Especially since I'm doing set theory this semester... which started today.

Yes.  This is why I'm so disappointed.

Japan sent delegations to my elementary school as well, actually.  If anyone is familiar with the educational philosophy outlined in Totto-Chan: The Little Girl at the Window, that was basically my school but with more budget and crazier teachers.  Seriously, it was... really, really similar.  We even had a farm run by the kids with animals and produce that we sold every Tuesday (the produce, not the animals).  Nowadays it has classrooms with Mandarin immersion programs.  There was a huge library... and this was a public school, even.  No grades.

Thinking about it makes me want to be 7 so that I could do it all over and enjoy it again.

Good luck, man.  I'm really sorry to hear that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21800 on: February 07, 2011, 01:55:47 pm »

their education is more controlled than ours. We allow more room to wiggle around while they are stuck in their chosen career and they don't get much fun classes than we do.

So much this. In the last 6 year I've spent in my last school, I've only had fun during the rethoric classes we had for a year and the other one was english for gifted, which was also held one year. Most schools don't have many optional classes, ther's only one school type which would roughly resemble a high school is in the USA.

It's depressing to think, that I'll only recieve second grade education around here.
And the only thing our politicians can think about is, how to make our wrecked educational system even cheaper.

This is what 'Weltschmerz' must feel like...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:58:21 pm by Mindmaker »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21801 on: February 07, 2011, 01:56:49 pm »

Bleh. Fucking depressed now..
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21802 on: February 07, 2011, 01:59:23 pm »

This is what 'Weltschmerz' must feel like...

Weltschmerz?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21803 on: February 07, 2011, 02:00:57 pm »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21805 on: February 07, 2011, 02:02:46 pm »

Yes, indeed.

Ah-ha, thank you.  I know some wikipedia articles I'll be reading later today.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21806 on: February 07, 2011, 02:04:48 pm »

Stared at a computer screen all day today.

My eyes hurt like hell.

Also: science fair is Wednesday and i haven't done anything beyond data collection.

FUCK
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21807 on: February 07, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »

start bullshitting man.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21808 on: February 07, 2011, 02:08:00 pm »

My eyes hurt like hell.

Also: science fair is Wednesday and i haven't done anything beyond data collection.

FUCK

Don't worry, you'll make it. I've pulled myself out of tighter deadlines than that, and I'm sure you can too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21809 on: February 07, 2011, 02:11:28 pm »

My eyes hurt like hell.

FUCK

That's not that bad.  If you've got the data, then honestly you have most of the work finished.  Two days should be more than enough, especially if you put in a lot of effort tonight.

Pages: 1 ... 1452 1453 [1454] 1455 1456 ... 8168