Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9497748 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21720 on: February 07, 2011, 01:35:03 am »

And here's my entire argument for not doing schoolwork. If I'm not learning anything, why do I bother? Then again, I have been told that I should be working for points, now, so that I can work for education, later, which to me makes no sense. The whole point of school is to learn, not win.
The whole fact that in the state of Washington, half the year is spent preparing you for a single, standardized test is fucking stupid, and this is the reason why I'm still technically in 9th grade.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21721 on: February 07, 2011, 01:45:55 am »

Oh, Christ yes.

In Australian High School, the final two years are built around getting a score (which is messed around with arbitrarily depending on what subjects you do and how you do on your school-assessed things compared to your state-assessed exam) to get into university, which matters only for a couple years until they simply don't check it when you apply.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21722 on: February 07, 2011, 01:47:38 am »

It's a good thing I'm actually enjoying learning or I'd be pretty righteously pissed off.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21723 on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:56 am »

Go Vector! I feel the same way at times - I cannot bear the fact that some teachers refuse to teach beyond their curriculum. It's much better now that I'm taking college classes, though. Just today I got into a great discussion with my Health 101 teacher about why fat in the Omentum is so dangerous compared to fat anywhere else. When I had to take Health during my freshman year of high school, I couldn't get my teacher to explain anything at all. He was always more focused on going through his lesson plan to the letter than teaching someone something new. I don't have the highest GPA on the block, but if there's one thing I seem to do best, it's learning. I would much rather have my 3.85 GPA and have gained something from a class than struggle to hold a 4.0 by doing solely what the teacher asks.

I don't know how many circles that paragraph went in, but the point is that I agree with you.

The whole fact that in the state of Washington, half the year is spent preparing you for a single, standardized test is fucking stupid, and this is the reason why I'm still technically in 9th grade.
Oh yes, the HSPE. Be thankful that you'll never have to take the WASL in high school, at least. It was a hellish thing, taking two entire school weeks of five hour testing sessions to finish the whole thing. The HSPE is still pretty bad, but at least the Washingotn Board of Education is going in the right direction.

It's days like this where I'm glad my Calculus teacher prefers standards-based grading. No graded homework, just tests. Gives me plenty of time to actually learn. Even better, I get to take Calc II and III with them next year.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21724 on: February 07, 2011, 02:36:32 am »

I just drank one and a half quarts of orange juice because I left it out on my shelf for too long, and if I let it sit any longer, it'd go bad.
So full.
Bleh.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21725 on: February 07, 2011, 02:48:03 am »

Oh, Christ yes.

In Australian High School, the final two years are built around getting a score (which is messed around with arbitrarily depending on what subjects you do and how you do on your school-assessed things compared to your state-assessed exam) to get into university, which matters only for a couple years until they simply don't check it when you apply.

I can attest to this.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21726 on: February 07, 2011, 02:49:09 am »

Hah. You guys and your fancy ejimications.
*Hugs*

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21727 on: February 07, 2011, 02:51:43 am »

Go Vector! I feel the same way at times - I cannot bear the fact that some teachers refuse to teach beyond their curriculum..

Oh god yes.  How I despise it when a teacher says "That's outside the scope of this class" just as we get to the interesting bit.  I want to finish learning what we started, not have to wait until I get home and try to remember to google it to maybe get more information.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21728 on: February 07, 2011, 03:15:40 am »

Oh god yes.  How I despise it when a teacher says "That's outside the scope of this class" just as we get to the interesting bit.

Then there's the flipside, when your teacher is thoroughly unhinged, has gone through the entire curriculum in little over half the allocated time, has tricked you into learning it by some dark method and is now hellbent on teaching you anything he finds interesting. Like the subjects from the previous year's international math Olympiad.

So the man writes one of the problems on the board, then starts solving, while narrating what he's doing. He fills the blackboard. He erases. He fills it again. Erases again. And again. By this time no one is bothering to copy the thing, let alone try to understand. He ends up filling eight wide blackboards with the answer to the thing before finishing, then turns to the class and goes: "Now wasn't that simple?"
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21729 on: February 07, 2011, 03:35:37 am »

Bluh. The only thing that I think is worse than the fact that "education" basically amounts to scorehunting is that many subjects are bullcrap.

Philosophy for instance is, while in theory is nice to have, basically reading stuff that some dead guys said that nobody understands (and often is a bunch of BS by itself, but that's pretty much the point of the subject) and then having to repeat it word by word. This happens for one year and then nobody even give a damn about it. Actual philosophizing never even happens.
Oh, and it's a mandatory subject. Eff you, system.

Another thing that's universally recognized as outdated and stupid are the German lessons. Or rather, Faust, which is basically 75% of what we do the entire year (the other 25% being homo Faber). Really, that's it, we read the goddamn book and have to learn whatever the school system believes to be the meaning of what's being said (to be fair, most some of it's probably true). That we have to study a book and stuff isn't actually the problem. I mean, we've already had 12 years of learning how to speak german and stuff. The problem is that it's been the same thing for, what? A few decades at least. There's definitely other books out there that are just as, if not better, suited for the job. But noooo, the higher-ups think that we have to go through the same kind of crap that they had to.

I would go on with my rant now, but the info-lesson is over and I have to shut down this computer now >_>

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21730 on: February 07, 2011, 03:43:28 am »

Please don't get me started on english, specificly HS english.

Absolutly effing horrible.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21731 on: February 07, 2011, 03:47:11 am »

Please don't get me started on english, specificly HS english.

Absolutly effing horrible.
Oh, what?  We're learning how to use a period in the 11th grade?  Sure, clearly that hadn't been picked up in the last 14-15 years of speaking the language and 11 years of formal education.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21732 on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:25 am »

Bleh. I wish I had all this crappy education.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21733 on: February 07, 2011, 03:55:09 am »

Bleh. I wish I had all this crappy education.

And I wish you did, too.  That doesn't make me any less angry about the idiocy of my fellow students who don't appreciate a good situation when they've got it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21734 on: February 07, 2011, 04:05:52 am »

Also, History lessons. What the fuck.

I think that about covers it.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: 1 ... 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 ... 8168