Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1443 1444 [1445] 1446 1447 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498508 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21660 on: February 06, 2011, 11:52:27 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:11:02 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21661 on: February 06, 2011, 11:55:38 am »

more expensive cases have the power supply at the bottom for a number or reasons, cooling and weight distribution being two of them.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21662 on: February 06, 2011, 11:57:46 am »

I prefer having the PSU at the bottom, and I'm surprised that more manufacturers don't have it that way. Less hanging wires, for one.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21663 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:11:45 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21664 on: February 06, 2011, 12:14:39 pm »

Spend too much of this day napping.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21665 on: February 06, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »

Cases that have the PSU at the bottom really should have a fan hole there too. I know mine does.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21666 on: February 06, 2011, 12:40:51 pm »

I bought a Silencer 750W PSU, which is both reliable and silent. No fan at the bottom, so I don't have that problem.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21667 on: February 06, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

Do you have an MP3 player? Load it up with montage music and lose yourself to the drama.
Oh hell yes. "You're the Best Around", "Eye of the Tiger", "Gonna Fly Now"... good times.

Problem is, he doesn't want to add too much bulk, as that would probably actually hinder his running. I would honestly work more on tone (muscular endurance) than strength for now. The strength will come with tone, just not as quickly.
You're right there. I do want to be stronger, but one of my main advantages as a runner is that I only have to move 120 pounds for three miles instead of, say, 150. The way things are right now, a large fraction of my weight is in my legs. To the point where pushups are staggeringly easy because in general I get heavier the closer you get to the fulcrum (the feet). In fact, here's a hilarious anecdote.

There's this physics experiment that my class was doing a couple weeks ago that had to do with center of mass. Apparently, if you stand two footlengths (the length of your foot) away from a wall and bend over at 90 degrees so that your head is touching the wall, it is very difficult to lift a chair placed between you and the wall. The goal of the experiment was to illustrate the principle of 'toppling', wherein changing your center of mass to be no longer over your base of support would cause you to fall down. According the the experiment, women could usually pick up the chair with no difficulty because of their wider hips and therefore lower center of mass. Because men typically have narrower hips and wider upper bodies, it was said to be impossible for them to pick up the chair, as their center of mass wouldn't be over their feet and therefore their heads would fall back to the wall to provide a wider base of support. Now, the interesting part. I have really dense (not gigantic, just dense) leg muscles and not the greatest of upper body strength. Because of this, my center of gravity ended up being right on top of the area bounded by my two big toes. What this meant is that it was possible for me to lift the chair, but only with extreme effort. My classmates didn't really understand the logic behind the experiment at the time, just that generally the gender of the lifter affects the outcome. They immediately assumed that I could only lift the chair because I tried really hard. Cue all of them attempting the experiment again, but with far more gusto. One of them actually lifted the chair off of the ground for a split second, but then he rotated forward again and smacked his head on the wall. Encouraged by this success, he kept trying. After he hit his head about a dozen times, my physics teacher finally told him to stop. It was pretty funny watching my teacher's face though - he didn't like that kid very much at all.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21668 on: February 06, 2011, 01:24:05 pm »

bah, can't sleep.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21669 on: February 06, 2011, 01:57:50 pm »

. One of them actually lifted the chair off of the ground for a split second, but then he rotated forward again and smacked his head on the wall.

Xom thinks this is hilarious!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21670 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »

Barbrossa it looks like we have the same body type, as weird as that sounds.

I have nothing going on muscle-wise above the waist, but my thighs and calves are made of steel from all the Fencing I do.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21671 on: February 06, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »

I weigh almost two of Barbar, compressed into a 5'1" frame. *sigh* I am jealous of you tall, lanky fellows.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21672 on: February 06, 2011, 03:24:58 pm »

I weigh 66.6 kg, and am 6' tall

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21673 on: February 06, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »

Mecha-legged lanky fellows unite!

Seriously, you could fit 3 of my arms into each leg.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21674 on: February 06, 2011, 03:43:56 pm »

nice, im 108 kilos and 5,11" fricking bulk as hell, you can't make me run for shit though.
Pages: 1 ... 1443 1444 [1445] 1446 1447 ... 8168