Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498409 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21645 on: February 06, 2011, 03:15:24 am »

I'm tired of being declared wholly impossible. All of the charts and tables in this Health 101 class are geared towards college-aged sedentary adults who are taking this class to learn how to be healthy. Unfortunately for me, I'm 16, I run seven to ten miles per day, and I'm in high school. According to these charts, the tallest I could possibly be is 5'7". Alternatively, I weigh a minimum of 142 pounds. In actuality I am 5'10" and 120 pounds. According to all these charts, I'm going to drop dead tomorrow unless I start eating way more and exercising so that I can build up muscle and avoid osteoporosis.

...And I'm supposed to respond to the paragraph the table points me to. Flargh. I also need to improve one aspect of my physical fitness over the course of the class, and it has to be by a certain amount as dictated by this most sovereign book. My options are...

A) Take a minute off of my mile time. This would require me running a 4:10 mile, a time that could almost qualify me for the Olympic trials.
B) Increase my sit-and-reach so that I can touch my toes. I can already reach six inches past my toes, thank you very much.
C) Bench press 120 pounds. This is my body weight, and the only possible path available to me. This is either going to be extremely difficult, or I'm going to need to reason with the professor.

Silly fixed-difficulty challenges. They don't work in D&D and they don't work in real life.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21646 on: February 06, 2011, 03:21:39 am »

B) Increase my sit-and-reach so that I can touch my toes. I can already reach six inches past my toes, thank you very much.

Sounds like you're already done.  Don't you love fixed difficulty challenges?  :P
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21647 on: February 06, 2011, 03:25:07 am »

well first off running won't help you build muscle, its more of a endurance exercise. instead of just benchpressing, work on other bodyparts like your shoulders or legs. i suggest squats, power press and triceps workouts.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21648 on: February 06, 2011, 03:32:15 am »

I could always come in and do your bench for you, bro. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21649 on: February 06, 2011, 03:34:18 am »

I'm tired of being declared wholly impossible. All of the charts and tables in this Health 101 class are geared towards college-aged sedentary adults who are taking this class to learn how to be healthy. Unfortunately for me, I'm 16, I run seven to ten miles per day, and I'm in high school. According to these charts, the tallest I could possibly be is 5'7". Alternatively, I weigh a minimum of 142 pounds. In actuality I am 5'10" and 120 pounds. According to all these charts, I'm going to drop dead tomorrow unless I start eating way more and exercising so that I can build up muscle and avoid osteoporosis.

...And I'm supposed to respond to the paragraph the table points me to. Flargh. I also need to improve one aspect of my physical fitness over the course of the class, and it has to be by a certain amount as dictated by this most sovereign book. My options are...

A) Take a minute off of my mile time. This would require me running a 4:10 mile, a time that could almost qualify me for the Olympic trials.
C) Bench press 120 pounds. This is my body weight, and the only possible path available to me. This is either going to be extremely difficult, or I'm going to need to reason with the professor.

Silly fixed-difficulty challenges. They don't work in D&D and they don't work in real life.

Go for A anyway. You know you want to.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21650 on: February 06, 2011, 03:36:09 am »

I would shoot for A, with a more realistic sub-goal of 15 seconds or so instead of a minute. If you make the olympics doing it, hey, bonus.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21651 on: February 06, 2011, 04:13:21 am »

well first off running won't help you build muscle, its more of a endurance exercise. instead of just benchpressing, work on other bodyparts like your shoulders or legs. i suggest squats, power press and triceps workouts.
I'd work on those other things, except that in general I don't use them very often and I'm not being graded on that.

The sit-and-reach one does seem like the easy way out, but nobody ever triumphed over a challenge by just bypassing the challenge. The track is covered in snow, so that one's a bit out there. By the end of the quarter it should be open though, and I should break 5:00 in the first time trial for track. Depending on whether or not that's enough to convince my teacher, I'll have to stick with the modified bench press challenge. I emailed them and they agreed to let me just go for 80, which I find far more reasonable for my stick arms. It'll still be quite an improvement though, as right now I just stick to lifting the bar. I didn't realize just how bad my upper body strength was until I started using it. Just a couple weeks ago I went with some XC buddies to use the weight room, and I had to keep modifying the stations as I got to them.

The football coach that always hangs out there: "First time in the weight room? Great! Let's start with two of these 25 pound weights and go from there!"

Me: "Sure, I guess. I have no idea what to lift."

That was not a good day for me. I think I lifted more weights just taking stuff off of the bars than I did actually doing the workout plan.

I have 30 days to lift 30 more pounds. A nascent plan is emerging... something involving fractions and an increasing amount of weight. I'll be darned if I don't force myself to get something out of this course. The state is paying good money for this!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21652 on: February 06, 2011, 04:28:39 am »

I'd work on those other things, except that in general I don't use them very often and I'm not being graded on that.

The sit-and-reach one does seem like the easy way out, but nobody ever triumphed over a challenge by just bypassing the challenge. The track is covered in snow, so that one's a bit out there. By the end of the quarter it should be open though, and I should break 5:00 in the first time trial for track. Depending on whether or not that's enough to convince my teacher, I'll have to stick with the modified bench press challenge. I emailed them and they agreed to let me just go for 80, which I find far more reasonable for my stick arms. It'll still be quite an improvement though, as right now I just stick to lifting the bar. I didn't realize just how bad my upper body strength was until I started using it. Just a couple weeks ago I went with some XC buddies to use the weight room, and I had to keep modifying the stations as I got to them.

The football coach that always hangs out there: "First time in the weight room? Great! Let's start with two of these 25 pound weights and go from there!"

That was not a good day for me. I think I lifted more weights just taking stuff off of the bars than I did actually doing the workout plan.

I have 30 days to lift 30 more pounds. A nascent plan is emerging... something involving fractions and an increasing amount of weight. I'll be darned if I don't force myself to get something out of this course. The state is paying good money for this!

Do you have an MP3 player? Load it up with montage music and lose yourself to the drama.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21653 on: February 06, 2011, 04:30:37 am »

In college, I had to start with the itty bitty 10 pound free weights and only benched with the bar, which was 45 pounds.  I remember in junior high, I couldn't even bench the bar itself.  I guess I don't have any advice, I'm just reminiscing  :o

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21654 on: February 06, 2011, 08:02:08 am »

In Japanese culture, nosebleeds signify sexual excitement.

As such, manga heavily featuring nosebleeds usually have a lot of NSFW sexual content.
It could work if you had staggeringly weak blood vessels, I guess.  But that'd mean you'd also get a nosebleed doing things like, say, walking up the stairs...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21655 on: February 06, 2011, 09:08:52 am »

For absolutely no goddamn reason, I went to sleep at 11:30PM and woke up at 6:15AM.  After taking care of my pets, I tried laying in bed for another hour but just got sore and bored.  Why, I don't want or need to be awake this early in the morning, I don't go to work until like 9.  9PM.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21656 on: February 06, 2011, 09:40:38 am »

alright this is good, heres a simple idea of what you can do.

every day you will alternate on your workout, one day upper body, the next lower body and make sure you are working out all those muscles you can't just work your biceps only. every week you will add 5 or 10 pounds more weight to your set.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:43:41 am by Tellemurius »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21657 on: February 06, 2011, 11:13:09 am »

Problem is, he doesn't want to add too much bulk, as that would probably actually hinder his running. I would honestly work more on tone (muscular endurance) than strength for now. The strength will come with tone, just not as quickly.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21658 on: February 06, 2011, 11:19:17 am »

yes but you gain more weight building muscle than going fat.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21659 on: February 06, 2011, 11:47:56 am »

I don't think Barbar will have that issue.

Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 8168