Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1421 1422 [1423] 1424 1425 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9504485 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21330 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:40 am »

wtf, did wikipedia get blocked for me?
i can't even access the international sites.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21331 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:30 am »

If the wikipedia page isn't working, give this a go.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #21332 on: February 01, 2011, 09:49:59 am »

Woah. All of Egypt lost their internet.
A bit frightening.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21333 on: February 01, 2011, 09:50:24 am »

oh no, wikipedia not showing up for me just got upgrade over your puny weather (jk) A CRISIS.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21334 on: February 01, 2011, 10:11:26 am »

A bit frightening.
That was January 28th, I have no idea if it returned or not.

All I know is cutting communication isn't going to stop a riot, but encourage it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21335 on: February 01, 2011, 10:13:31 am »

My steam account won't work.
And neither requesting a new password nor asking the support team works. :-\
A bit frightening.
That was January 28th, I have no idea if it returned or not.

All I know is cutting communication isn't going to stop a riot, but encourage it.
This. If it actually was done on purpose, then whoever did it was a bunch of idiots for thinking that would calm anybody down. Oh, but apparently google and twitter work, strangely enough.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21336 on: February 01, 2011, 10:17:33 am »

I need an outlet for my math-rage.

God.  Dammit.

I'm sorry for getting so pissed at things being easy, guys.  I know it can be hard to take.  At the same time, I'm honestly upset about this--not just that it's easy, but that this text keeps on doing bad, terrible things.  It contradicts its own instructions to the student, occasionally fails to define things rigorously, forgoes proof, makes statements 12x longer than they need be... it asks stupid questions, relies heavily on unnecessary examples, and is full of so much meaninglessness that it's honestly making me a little bit sick.  The hardest question on my problem set only took about five minutes' careful thought to work through, and that's because it was actually a mite bit tricky.  The whole thing is only taking 3 hours for a week's work, and that's because I'm obsessive about handwriting and formulations.

It's gotten to the point where I'm offering alternate proofs for many of the exercises, or strengthenings of the statements, or referring the reader to philosophers whenever the text gets too shady with its definitions.

*sigh*

What a MESS.
Could you say just which book this is? (I can't recall if I've asked before...or if someone else asked before.) Could you give a list of the books you remember and your ratings of them? I'm fairly sure now, that even if I don't make it career, I'm going to be going through the same stuff you are now.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21337 on: February 01, 2011, 10:22:00 am »

That's debateable. If communication is stopped, then organizing further action is going to become a lot harder. Unorganized action may be affected (You can't spontaneously join a riot if you don't know about it).

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21338 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:28 am »

Depends on how many pissed-off young people are in the immediate area.

And goddammit, my dad fed the dog something he wasn't supposed to eat and there is liquidy shit everywhere. And you know what his answer for the dog feeling this intestinal troubles was? Put him in the basement to poop all over there, next to the room where I sleep. And then expect me to clean it all up. When I tell you not to feed him stuff you have cooked because spices can screw with a dogs intestines and he does this the night after you should know not to do this again.

And yet this is the third time this has happened, and the third time I've cleaned it up.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21339 on: February 01, 2011, 10:55:48 am »

Exactly.  It didn't bother me as a kid.  I read Anne Frank's diary and said "... Okay.  So what?"

Now it's like a constant "auuuuuuugh" and I can't stop grinding my teeth.
I've visited the place she lived, and all I can say is it's auuuuuuuugh x1000.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21340 on: February 01, 2011, 10:57:53 am »

Imagine how creepy it is to open a tote of books and find both "The Diary of Anne Frank" and "Mein Kampf II."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21341 on: February 01, 2011, 11:37:53 am »

Kitty kitty at a hospital. Buh.

The amount of times I'm ending up here as a visitor lately is distressing.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21342 on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:25 am »

Depends on how many pissed-off young people are in the immediate area.

And goddammit, my dad fed the dog something he wasn't supposed to eat and there is liquidy shit everywhere. And you know what his answer for the dog feeling this intestinal troubles was? Put him in the basement to poop all over there, next to the room where I sleep. And then expect me to clean it all up. When I tell you not to feed him stuff you have cooked because spices can screw with a dogs intestines and he does this the night after you should know not to do this again.

And yet this is the third time this has happened, and the third time I've cleaned it up.
My Dad slips food to the dog, but he actually lets him poop outside like a normal dog.

Of course it's all wilderness out there.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21343 on: February 01, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »

Kitty kitty at a hospital. Buh.

The amount of times I'm ending up here as a visitor lately is distressing.

Doesn't sound too serious if the complaint is that you are at that place, but it does suck to have a loved one in that situation. At that frequency anyway.

This video is giving me chills. Usually I respect that he has his own views even though I disagree with him on many of them, and he does some good movie reviews. But this... feels weird. And I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke/parody or pointing out a supposedly positive light while ignoring other aspects. And I can't really articulate what is bothering me so much about it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21344 on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:53 pm »

That Bob Escapist guy is contradicting himself I think.  He says the idea that nerds are better than others is absurd, but by 4:00 in the video, begins to say that nerds are superior anyway.  He also says that people hate Bill Gates for "making millions in technology."  People hate Bill Gates because of how glitchy and vulnerable Microsoft technology tends to be, not because he's successful.  And then he says he did have superpowers like in the X-Men, he'd gladly get revenge on the people who bullied him.  And I thought he implied earlier that thinking nerds are superior and should get revenge is an immature idea.
Pages: 1 ... 1421 1422 [1423] 1424 1425 ... 8168