Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 [1420] 1421 1422 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9505424 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21285 on: January 31, 2011, 09:43:58 pm »

I'm really glad Jack is putting what I would say into much less offensive words. Because I would just trip all over myself trying to say that.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21286 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:46 pm »

I'm sure Aqizzar could say it better, but this isn't really his thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21287 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »

I still disagree with you, but it was nice that we could have a civil conversation on the subject.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21288 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:48 pm »

A mugger is a human being too.

Your things aren't worth your life, of his.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21289 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »

I just want my opinion to be heard. It's a particularly strong one, but not one without its merits, I think. I don't think I could ever change your mind, but if it gives you something to think about, job well done.

Plus I've been saving that segue thing for a while, so that's good too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21290 on: January 31, 2011, 09:50:51 pm »

Man, I love reading about history, and World War II and I, but every time I try I run into this. I just can't read any more. Turns out atrocities are really atrocious, you know?

Exactly.  It didn't bother me as a kid.  I read Anne Frank's diary and said "... Okay.  So what?"

Now it's like a constant "auuuuuuugh" and I can't stop grinding my teeth.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21291 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »

Do the films of the original Indiana Jones trilogy count as WW2 movies?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21292 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »

Man, I love reading about history, and World War II and I, but every time I try I run into this. I just can't read any more. Turns out atrocities are really atrocious, you know?

Exactly.  It didn't bother me as a kid.  I read Anne Frank's diary and said "... Okay.  So what?"

Now it's like a constant "auuuuuuugh" and I can't stop grinding my teeth.
theres not much you can do about it (you can build a time machine and go back to kick Hitler in his balls but yea reality)
its just a memory that we humans shouldn't allow to happen again NO MATTER WHAT.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21293 on: January 31, 2011, 09:55:32 pm »

The day I don't find a German pugilist being killed by a plane's propeller entertaining is the day you put me to bed with a shovel.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21294 on: January 31, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »

theres not much you can do about it (you can build a time machine and go back to kick Hitler in his balls but yea reality)
its just a memory that we humans shouldn't allow to happen again NO MATTER WHAT.

Doesn't stop it from bothering me, especially because there's still genocides going on worldwide and assloads of discrimination all over the place.

And no movies that I know of on women's rights movements.

Yup.

*grind grind grind*

The day I don't find a German pugilist being killed by a plane's propeller entertaining is the day you put me to bed with a shovel.

... I may have to actually watch these, now, because you make them sound funny =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21295 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:02 pm »

Mary Poppins?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21296 on: January 31, 2011, 10:08:14 pm »

That's not my motivation. I just hate those who try to steal from others to the extent that I would take a high risk of death/injury over cooperating with them in any way. It's sick and unfair to people trying to carve out a life for themselves, and I'll have no part in enabling it. As for my friends and family, they'd get over my death in the event of its occurence eventually.

This, along with your whole argument, reeks of "I will change my mind very quickly if someone ever does actually point a gun at me"
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21297 on: January 31, 2011, 10:09:33 pm »

Mary Poppins?

... I... had completely forgotten about that.  Thank you.

On the other hand, I can't exactly say that that's the focus of the movie, but at least it's something.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21298 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:03 pm »

... I may have to actually watch these, now, because you make them sound funny =/

Watch the first one, it's pretty cool, skip the second one it's shit. The third one is good. The fourth one is cool if you remember that the movies are supposed to be campy.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21299 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

That's not my motivation. I just hate those who try to steal from others to the extent that I would take a high risk of death/injury over cooperating with them in any way. It's sick and unfair to people trying to carve out a life for themselves, and I'll have no part in enabling it. As for my friends and family, they'd get over my death in the event of its occurence eventually.

This, along with your whole argument, reeks of "I will change my mind very quickly if someone ever does actually point a gun at me"
Can anything in the hypothetical really be known? I doubt it. Perhaps one day I will see which one of us is right, and perhaps not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 [1420] 1421 1422 ... 8168