Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1417 1418 [1419] 1420 1421 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9507674 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21270 on: January 31, 2011, 08:16:15 pm »

If you need it explained to you. LIFE ISNT A VIDEOGAME.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21271 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »

No, it isn't.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21272 on: January 31, 2011, 08:21:33 pm »

Basically, you won't respawn if your act of heroism ends up killing or seriously injuring you.  Your possessions aren't worth your life :\.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21273 on: January 31, 2011, 08:22:04 pm »

I'd tend to disagree, but that's just me.
*Hugs*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21274 on: January 31, 2011, 08:22:16 pm »

If you need it explained to you. LIFE ISNT A VIDEOGAME.
what are you talking about? its a roguelike,  we got bad luck rolls and permadeath XD

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21275 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »

Basically, you won't respawn if your act of heroism ends up killing or seriously injuring you.  Your possessions aren't worth your life :\.
Everyone dies eventually. My possessions may not be worth my life, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I were to just give some mugger what he wants.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21276 on: January 31, 2011, 08:27:40 pm »

Everyone dies eventually. My possessions may not be worth my life, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I were to just give some mugger what he wants.
I'm not gonna make a mugger so important as to become a murderer. They don't deserve that heavy of a title.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21277 on: January 31, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »

It's odd, I personally feel that taking this view would be extremely selfish of me.  Just for my own silly pride I'd risk inflicting huge grief on my family and friends, and let down people who expect me to do things.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21278 on: January 31, 2011, 08:29:46 pm »

I'm not gonna make a mugger so important as to become a murderer. They don't deserve that heavy of a title.
I have to say... If you don't want to give something then run away!
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21279 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:12 pm »

Fuck.. Feel really sick now...
*Hugs*

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21280 on: January 31, 2011, 09:25:26 pm »

It's odd, I personally feel that taking this view would be extremely selfish of me.  Just for my own silly pride I'd risk inflicting huge grief on my family and friends, and let down people who expect me to do things.
It's a rather fatalistic, and selfish take on things that I've seen people take before because they think it's romantic or makes them look hard, even if they won't admit it.
"I'll have stood up to the man! This makes me a man/super admirable (and by extention get the girls/fame/admiration)!"
"I'd rather be dead than give a mugger what he wants! This makes me brave/attractive/a real man!"

And so on. It's a really, really stupid viewpoint and you're only thinking of yourself when you take it and it will not pan out like you're hoping, unless death is your objective. Perhaps it'd be mitigated if MetalSlimeHunt had no friends or family but even then, he's inviting more death and/or pain into this world, when there's so many non-violent ways to work against mugging. So, in trying to be brave or do the right thing or look good or whatever ridiculous excuses you've thought up, you've actually ended up looking like a selfish asshole who'd choose pain and suffering instead of acting like a decent human being, coping and then say, working against mugging by getting involved in government or private organizations dedicated to combating crime without actual dying or killing.

This is bad, incidentally.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21281 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:58 pm »

That's not my motivation. I just hate those who try to steal from others to the extent that I would take a high risk of death/injury over cooperating with them in any way. It's sick and unfair to people trying to carve out a life for themselves, and I'll have no part in enabling it. As for my friends and family, they'd get over my death in the event of its occurence eventually.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21282 on: January 31, 2011, 09:37:23 pm »

New goal for 2011: stop watching so many WWII movies and read more interesting novels, preferably having nothing to do with WWII.

I think I may actually be progressing into the "trainwreck you just can't look away from" stage.  And I feel even more horrible, because this subject is one of those things one really doesn't want to ever be inured to--but at the same time, I do want to have walls up against the subject bothering me, because then I won't have to feel so... powerless.

Bah.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21283 on: January 31, 2011, 09:37:51 pm »

Fuck.. Feel really sick now...
get better soon.

edit: scary is the thought of accepting death, seems only age shall tell me the secrets.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21284 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:09 pm »

You can prevent it without actually trying to kill or maim someone. Besides, if he wins, he'll get your shit regardless and you'll be killed/maimed into the bargain. And, of course, that right there, that last line, is the selfish asshole thing I was talking about.

I'm not saying I hate you, or that you're an asshole. I'm saying that if anything like that ever occurs and you follow through with your badly thought out plan with sketchy justification that's pretty clearly just for some self gratification on your part, you would be an asshole. And I would hate you.

And if you're looking for gratification about doing something about the whole mugging problem, again, there are ways to do that without inviting yet more suffering into this world because you want to be the big man.

New goal for 2011: stop watching so many WWII movies and read more interesting novels, preferably having nothing to do with WWII.

I think I may actually be progressing into the "trainwreck you just can't look away from" stage.  And I feel even more horrible, because this subject is one of those things one really doesn't want to ever be inured to--but at the same time, I do want to have walls up against the subject bothering me, because then I won't have to feel so... powerless.

Bah.
Man, I love reading about history, and World War II and I, but every time I try I run into this. I just can't read any more. Turns out atrocities are really atrocious, you know?

A good example of an atrocity would be choosing the death of another or yourself for some self-gratification about doing something, simply because you can't be bothered actually contributing to the solution, by the way.
Pages: 1 ... 1417 1418 [1419] 1420 1421 ... 8168