Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1401 1402 [1403] 1404 1405 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476208 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21030 on: January 28, 2011, 09:16:49 am »

NOOOOOO DON'T LEAVE US TO DIE!!!!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21031 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:40 am »

What? It seems that it's only my ooc posts that get noticed anyway :/
*Hugs*

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21032 on: January 28, 2011, 09:27:44 am »

A guy signed up to advertise some game he likes, and got hit with hate talk.
Nothing big. Still, not a happy occurence.

It happens atleast once a month, someone with almost no posts comes in to tell us about this cool game they have found and immediatley they are labeled a bot, then it soon fades into the darkness beyond the first five pages and it's forgotten, untill it happens again.

Today is a very nice day, a bit windy but still, nice to have some sunshine, so i took a walk to some bookstores to see if they had anything by Cormac McCarthy.One group asked a bit about it, checked around and said that they unfortunatley don't have any of his works.In another one i recieved a puzzled look and a confused no.The public library was closed.Those are all the bookstores in this city that aren't selling school and office supplies.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #21033 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:05 am »

Somehow my Ultra-Nationalistic Image Macro Thread was considered confrontational and got locked overnight after only one valid reply and a lot of 'aw shucks this doesn't look fun'. This saddens me, since I was going to lock it after only a Canadian had the manliness to take pride in his country.

I mean, that's just depressing.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21034 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06:46 am »

You guys actually roleplayed in that thread? I thought it was just spam.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21035 on: January 28, 2011, 11:32:21 am »

I'd say it's perfectly natural to be upset.  Some quack mathematician wrote a garbage book and now his awful work is being taught to students everywhere.  And you know you could do a million times better.  Maybe you can bring it up with your professor during his/her office hours?  At least here in Washington state, USA, my professors would have been intrigued if I walked in to discuss (not rage) the textbook and how it could be improved.  Walk in with clear physical evidence, a smile, a handshake, and be ready for a rebuttal in case he or she loves that little disaster of a book.

This is, ah, one of the more popular introductory books in the industry.  Probably the most popular "non-canonical" book.

I can't complain about/discuss the textbook, because that's against the rules in the math department (too much ostentation).  What you do is quietly get a different textbook, study on your own, and proceed to show up the entire rest of the class with a naive, vaguely confused look on your face.

... This is what I am in the process of doing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21036 on: January 28, 2011, 11:35:33 am »

You guys actually roleplayed in that thread? I thought it was just spam.
I don't mean to be hateful or imply nothing of value was done, but that thread as sort of a mess anyway. Any attempt at "Roleplaying" in that style generally leads to a bunch of crazy stuff happening with no real structure to hold it together. Everyone is working so hard to get noticed that they don't contribute to eachother and work off eachother. There needs to be a clear understanding of who is in charge of some elements of what is going on, and nobody can mess with that without permission.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21037 on: January 28, 2011, 11:45:15 am »

well MoM is the overlord and can do whatever, MM deals with the science stuff, i am a ranger, Twi is a herbalist, im not even listing the sub characters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21038 on: January 28, 2011, 11:51:14 am »

It's gotten to the point where I'm offering alternate proofs for many of the exercises, or strengthenings of the statements, or referring the reader to philosophers whenever the text gets too shady with its definitions.

*sigh*

What a MESS.
Try and survive by thinking about how much better you'll make the new textbook when you write it.

This is, ah, one of the more popular introductory books in the industry.  Probably the most popular "non-canonical" book.
...Mathematics has an official canon?  Damn!  Don't tell me all these trigonometry functions I've been doing are fanwork...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21039 on: January 28, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »

Well, there does seem to be a lot of relationship issues between the characters. Even in grade school, there's +, -, *, and /. Seriously, don't numbers have anything else to do besides mess with each other?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21040 on: January 28, 2011, 12:19:38 pm »

And then there's *'s evil twin, x. Who likes to mess with people by claiming to be X.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21041 on: January 28, 2011, 01:34:24 pm »

... I love you guys.

<3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21042 on: January 28, 2011, 01:37:23 pm »

<2.9999999999999?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21043 on: January 28, 2011, 01:39:31 pm »

<2.9999999999999?

No, you need infinitely many 9s.  You only have 13.  Try again.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21044 on: January 28, 2011, 01:52:41 pm »

<2 + Σ(9*10-n)?

Not sure how to get the 1 and infinity bit written on computer
Pages: 1 ... 1401 1402 [1403] 1404 1405 ... 8167