Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476092 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21015 on: January 27, 2011, 11:19:12 pm »

If any of you "make it" and need a 3d modeler/texturer, here I am.  See that cacodemon?  I made that.

Also willing to donate to indy/mod projects, but major commitments just aren't possible for me without pay :(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21016 on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:45 pm »

How many coders are there around here anyway? Seems like every other forumite is a programmer to some degree.

Also: Math? In game design? Eh... unless you plan to build your own graphics engine or something, you don't need a lot. Basic algebra is usually enough, though obviously some programs require a good deal more for various reasons.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21017 on: January 27, 2011, 11:27:55 pm »

How many coders are there around here anyway? Seems like every other forumite is a programmer to some degree.

Also: Math? In game design? Eh... unless you plan to build your own graphics engine or something, you don't need a lot. Basic algebra is usually enough, though obviously some programs require a good deal more for various reasons.
Woohoo! That's extremely good news. Basic algebra is something I can handle.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21018 on: January 27, 2011, 11:53:00 pm »

just remember, keep it 2d.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21019 on: January 28, 2011, 12:18:10 am »

I need an outlet for my math-rage.

God.  Dammit.

I'm sorry for getting so pissed at things being easy, guys.  I know it can be hard to take.  At the same time, I'm honestly upset about this--not just that it's easy, but that this text keeps on doing bad, terrible things.  It contradicts its own instructions to the student, occasionally fails to define things rigorously, forgoes proof, makes statements 12x longer than they need be... it asks stupid questions, relies heavily on unnecessary examples, and is full of so much meaninglessness that it's honestly making me a little bit sick.  The hardest question on my problem set only took about five minutes' careful thought to work through, and that's because it was actually a mite bit tricky.  The whole thing is only taking 3 hours for a week's work, and that's because I'm obsessive about handwriting and formulations.

It's gotten to the point where I'm offering alternate proofs for many of the exercises, or strengthenings of the statements, or referring the reader to philosophers whenever the text gets too shady with its definitions.

*sigh*

What a MESS.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21020 on: January 28, 2011, 12:29:28 am »

I realize this may seem rather unrelated, but: You will most certainly make a great mathematician. I like math, and considered going into it at one point. But I would have loved something being that easy. To complain about the book not being good enough? Means you're most likely better qualified to be doing mathematics than those who wrote it. And you aren't even out of school yet.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21021 on: January 28, 2011, 12:43:46 am »

Just want to stop being responsible for taking care of other people.  Once you give people an inch of putting their happiness before your own, they take a mile.

It's probably worth it.  It's obviously a positive-sum thing, where they gain more than I lose.  But I'm getting really tired of it all the same.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21022 on: January 28, 2011, 01:59:22 am »

I realize this may seem rather unrelated, but: You will most certainly make a great mathematician. I like math, and considered going into it at one point. But I would have loved something being that easy. To complain about the book not being good enough? Means you're most likely better qualified to be doing mathematics than those who wrote it. And you aren't even out of school yet.

Yeah... thanks.

Still, I'm angry.  And I wish I weren't angry about it, because it makes me feel so... immature =/  Especially the textbook annoying me to the point of chest pains.  How sad.  Pfffff.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21023 on: January 28, 2011, 04:06:08 am »

I'd say it's perfectly natural to be upset.  Some quack mathematician wrote a garbage book and now his awful work is being taught to students everywhere.  And you know you could do a million times better.  Maybe you can bring it up with your professor during his/her office hours?  At least here in Washington state, USA, my professors would have been intrigued if I walked in to discuss (not rage) the textbook and how it could be improved.  Walk in with clear physical evidence, a smile, a handshake, and be ready for a rebuttal in case he or she loves that little disaster of a book.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21024 on: January 28, 2011, 04:16:13 am »

and while your at it, change your avatar. I'm hungry.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21025 on: January 28, 2011, 07:06:38 am »

What's with folks in Other Games these days?

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #21026 on: January 28, 2011, 07:10:45 am »

What's with folks in Other Games these days?

I must of been living under a rock, what's heppened?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21027 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:02 am »

A guy signed up to advertise some game he likes, and got hit with hate talk.
Nothing big. Still, not a happy occurence.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21028 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:31 am »

200 bucks for insurance on a $5000 BMW i330? so much for driving to college in style (maybe not style its not in pristine condition).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21029 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:17 am »

Bleh... losing all motivation to RP.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 8167