Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9470693 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20790 on: January 25, 2011, 12:23:20 am »

Ronald would never stand for this. Any MacDonalds employee that would do such a thing would get eaten immediately.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20791 on: January 25, 2011, 01:24:30 am »

When I'm typing my posts, I can be sure that the people which I'd like to read it, are either asleep or at work and by the time they are online, it has already vanished behind pages of others, forever forgotten, forever unread.

I hate timezones so much.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:26:36 am by Mindmaker »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20792 on: January 25, 2011, 02:00:28 am »

When I'm typing my posts, I can be sure that the people which I'd like to read it, are either asleep or at work and by the time they are online, it has already vanished behind pages of others, forever forgotten, forever unread.

I, at the very least, read pretty much every page of this thread (yes, I read that post, too) >_>  I find it more interesting than the happy thread, to be honest.  Perhaps this is because I was born to bitch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20793 on: January 25, 2011, 02:02:55 am »

The sad thread tends to get actual sad stuff.
This sad stuff makes people be like 'Huh… suddenly me dropping my sandwich onto an anthill doesn't seem so sad…'
Then they don't post.
Nobody gets distracted in this manner in the happy thread, leading to more occurrences of semi-random stuff.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20794 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:35 am »

I, at the very least, read pretty much every page of this thread (yes, I read that post, too) >_>  I find it more interesting than the happy thread, to be honest.  Perhaps this is because I was born to bitch.

Misery, has always been more interesting to people and by that I don't mean "Schadenfreude".
Just take "Faust" for example. It's secon part hardly ever gets mentioned.
Or the third act of the "Divine Comedy", called "Paradiso", which is more nauseating than anything.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20795 on: January 25, 2011, 02:58:30 am »

Quote from: First line of Anna Karenina
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

That is, tragedy is a lot more interesting.

In other news, I do not think I will be able to sleep tonight.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20796 on: January 25, 2011, 03:13:10 am »

I was quite ready to sleep 5 hours ago... and then D&D ended up being not canceled. Long story short, I got hopped up on caffeine and honey, and now I probably won't be able to sleep either.

In sad news, my gaming group decided that we were going to end this campaign in a week or two; it's getting to be too much work for the DM, and all this High-Level Epic stuff is sorta wearing at the group, and making the gameplay part less fun. On the plus side, it means that we get to try one-shots of other systems, and give other GMs a shot, so I'll get to run Mouse Guard, and possibly slap together something with the stuff I'd put together for that Island Survival forum game. Still, I really liked the story, and these characters. It was a lot of fun, and I'd like to see it at least partially resolved.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20797 on: January 25, 2011, 03:23:41 am »

Well, I finished watching Schindler's List, which had the interesting side-effect of Suddenly Introspection, so I can say with some certainty that I'll be awake for the next... while.

Doing what, I do not know, but I am about as wired as when I got up 18 hours ago.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20798 on: January 25, 2011, 03:36:41 am »

Well, I finished watching Schindler's List, which had the interesting side-effect of Suddenly Introspection, so I can say with some certainty that I'll be awake for the next... while.

Doing what, I do not know, but I am about as wired as when I got up 18 hours ago.
Heh, I live maybe 1km from the Shindler's factory in Kraków.
Have you seen the Pianist? The subject matter is somewhat similar, but the execution much less pompous, in my opinion.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20799 on: January 25, 2011, 03:39:55 am »

Sleeping is only a problem when I'm nervous.
Meaning, that insomnia won't bother me until the start of college.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20800 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:43 am »

Listen to the main theme to Schindler's List and say aloud to yourself, 'Violin can be happy too.'
I don't know why, but it always makes me feel a strange sense of sadness.
Even just thinking about it, my eyes are welling up.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20801 on: January 25, 2011, 03:48:41 am »

I don't know why, but it always makes me feel a strange sense of sadness.

For me it's either sadness or awe, often a mix of both.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20802 on: January 25, 2011, 04:11:49 am »

Nope, haven't put The Pianist on hold yet.  Hopefully the actors will be better at pretending to be German :I

I was honestly kind of embarrassed by the American flavor smeared all over many places.  Schindler's body language, for one thing, was shouting "I AM AMURRICAN" so hard that I had trouble suspending disbelief.

I feel like it was a strong film in terms of cinematography, and in terms of showing things one might find unimaginable due to sheer scope or brutality.  One connected emotionally with the characters.  It was created with surprisingly strong camera-work and use of juxtaposition.

That said, the accents were pretty gosh-darned bad in a lot of places and, as previously stated, I kept on going "Where are we supposed to be, anyhow?  I sure can't tell from the body language being employed!  This guy comes off like Jimmy Stewart, and I'm sure that's not the vibe I'm supposed to be getting."

Putting one's feet on the desk?

*sigh*

I should stop complaining, but I was having quite a bit of trouble in the first half of the film.  It wasn't quite as difficult later.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20803 on: January 25, 2011, 04:25:20 am »

I can imagine how Spielberg thought to himself: "we must make Shindler into a likeable character, so let's have him act like one of our boys."
As for the Pianist, A.Brody is really great in this one.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20804 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:39 am »

Tofay I managed to lose all of my keys. I wonder where they are.

Personally I enjoyed Schindler's List, and I'd like to watch it again sometime.
Pages: 1 ... 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 ... 8167