Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459231 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20580 on: January 21, 2011, 12:47:40 pm »

Um...I like Friday evenings?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20581 on: January 21, 2011, 12:51:42 pm »

Not me.
I can choose between a) doing something on the PC b) reading a book.
Social contact of any sort is not an option.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20582 on: January 21, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »

Not me.
I can choose between a) doing something on the PC b) reading a book.
Social contact of any sort is not an option.
Technically you're making social contact with us....

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20583 on: January 21, 2011, 01:11:02 pm »

So talking loudly to yourself at the bus station, while being surrounded by a lot of strangers counts as making social contact too?
Because it's pretty much the same.

It just would be nice to have someone to talk to, that is all.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20584 on: January 21, 2011, 01:36:11 pm »

Everybody needs somebody sometime...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20585 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:44 pm »

;_;

I'm writing your letter!  I'm writing it today!  And soon it will be in the mail, and you can see my weird handwriting and doodles all over the outside of the envelope!  It'll be great!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20586 on: January 21, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »

;_;

I'm writing your letter!  I'm writing it today!  And soon it will be in the mail, and you can see my weird handwriting and doodles all over the outside of the envelope!  It'll be great!

Thank you, I appreciate it. I really do.
Bit scared to, but mostly looking forward to it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20587 on: January 21, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »

Damn, I really need to make that mafia post...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20588 on: January 21, 2011, 04:03:53 pm »

New smartphone yay!

...Doesn't seem to actually connect to the cellular network, boo.  Maybe they're just taking a long time to port over the old number.  A long time.

also my bipolar issues seem to be wrecking my life as I have random breakdowns and apparently I'm way overworkedand I wound up nearly hospitalized for separate, more physical ouchy things but at least those are not going to kill me but they did make me miss work
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20589 on: January 21, 2011, 06:00:21 pm »

This may also spell the end of my mathematical career as a serious student[...]

This is confusing.
So what are you up to? Simply catching up with the stuff you always wanted to do/learn? Waiting for what the future might bring?

Concentrating on my other courses, so that I actually get something out of them.  I'm going to try to blow through the first couple of chapters of my Russian textbook this weekend, and then I have various Greek philosophers to study, my history of math textbook to start eating, and some abstract algebra to learn about.

Plus a little time spent watching Russian (or German, haven't decided yet) movies and reading crime novels/working on my topology textbook, because that was neat, playing card games with my housemates, history books (:D) and so on.

Basically, I've realized that I learn best when I have spare time to explore other options.  I do not learn well when I have someone saying "Learn this, learn this all the time, and your off time belongs to me, now and forever."  I'm currently doing well in my rhetoric class because I spent a couple years analyzing the hell out of every novel I came across and developing basic nihilism/existentialism/evolutionary psychology theoretical frameworks as I tried to go to sleep.  No one told me to do that, or even really knew I was doing it.  It's resulted in a major advantage over other students, though, which I intend to keep and wring out for all I can.

I don't think I'll be a good mathematician if I just pound down the math all day.  What has made me good at math thus far has been my mental flexibility and creativity--my ability to bring concepts into different frameworks, to see things differently, to conceptualize.  If I want to succeed, I need to nip this mental stagnation in the bud and start prying my mind open again.  Look at new concepts.  Build new frameworks.  Stop confusing Russian with Polish and French (it was horrible.  I kept responding in French in class today, or wanting to say "co" instead of "kto").

Hell, maybe I'll write some short stories.  No matter what, my goal is to learn as much as I can about whatever I can, and be happy.  Force-feeding myself math does not make me happy or well-educated.  Studying math along with philosophy, Russian, theater, cinematography, history... well, that makes me very, very happy.  Also well-educated.

Dammit, I want some time to read and take notes on my 1,500-page brick about the rise and fall of the Soviet Union.  Is that too much to ask?

So how much do you actually do in regular lessons, how much in extracurricular courses and what's left to do in your spare time?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20590 on: January 21, 2011, 06:39:55 pm »

Kapersky thinks every .exe on my system is a keylogger, trojan, or virus (not infected with one, one in and of itself.). Including the Kapersky exe itself.

beware: programs like Virut can infect a lot of files
It's picking up the files on the Diablo II CD in my drive. I'm quite certain it's just an idiot.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20591 on: January 21, 2011, 06:47:59 pm »

It still might be compromised by a virus.
Shoes...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20592 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:40 pm »

It might be a virus, when everything around it isn't.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #20593 on: January 21, 2011, 07:02:35 pm »

I'm sad because I know exactly what will happen on the next episode of Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector. It's a real wham episode.

At least Axel has a real reason to *spoiler* the Alteisen's *spoiler* in this adaption. In the GBA game he did it just to be a prideful douchebag.

Spoiler: Spoilers (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20594 on: January 21, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »

I've never seen Kaspersky act like that before. Strange. It might very well be compromised.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 8167