Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1366 1367 [1368] 1369 1370 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455239 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20505 on: January 20, 2011, 02:36:10 pm »

Sad Duke makes sad Toony.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20506 on: January 20, 2011, 02:48:23 pm »

Time cube has more than one page.
Amen brother. If you want to listen to the entire first one in text-to-speech, however, I can provide.

It's bogglingly soul destroying.

Provide please. I need to punish my brain.

Very well. But do not blame me for what you voluntarily do.

I don't need it. I actually read the first, second, and half of the third page

I would describe it as an abomination against nature, but I have too much respect for the abominations.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20507 on: January 20, 2011, 03:10:56 pm »

He's still gonna assume that I'm just being stubborn and that all my problems stem form being addicted to the computer or TV or not having a social life, all of which are direct results of things he has done. I cannot explain this to him, as anything that remotely puts the blame towards him he won't accept. It's just me being rebellious and all that crap.

It's exactly the same for me.
Well, a good portion of the blame can be spread across the people I went to school with, from the ages of 6-18, but if your parents remain adamant in their views, there just no pulling yourself up.
I too failed in school and had to repeat a year. Reason being severe depression and the urge to get rid of all the people which made my everyday a living hell.

So even, if it isn't much consolation, you're not alone with that sort of thing.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20508 on: January 20, 2011, 03:31:58 pm »

I'm not feeling like I'm moving anywhere in my life. I go through my day, spending semesters taking collegiate courses on subjects I'm either mostly proficient in already, or more than able to figure out on my own with a decent textbook. After 5 years of living on my own I'm still only barely managing to scrounge up the funds needed to make it from month to month, and am presently struggling against a failing state economy to find even the lowest-paying and most pointless jobs. My peers seem to be moving on in their lives, with prospective careers that challenge them, loving relationships, and so on... and though week by week I work, I feel like I don't have even half of what they have to show for it. My near-future goals include garbage-picking enough furniture that I can invite company over and not feel like a hobo, being able to afford enough fresh produce that I can eat well, and plodding along through another year of classes in which I'm only learning anything new for maybe 4 hours in my week.

This can't be the right way to go about life, but I really don't know what is. Is it just a matter of the luck of the draw; are most of my peers successful due to having families who were able to lift them up long enough for them to take off? Is it a matter of a lack of aptitude, ability, or tenacity on my part? I'm not afraid to work, and work hard, but it often feels so pointless that it's tough to push myself to continue. I've never wanted a life that was about securing an income, saving money while I'm fit and able, and waiting to get the things I want to get out of life when I'm in my 40s and on. Maybe it's juvenile of me to expect something different out of life, I don't know... but it just feels so damned pointless, like Sisyphus and his boulder. One works and works for a series of shallow rewards that will disappear soon enough.

I'm just feeling lost, tremendously ineffectual, and depressed. I keep feeling this way too, every time I realize that the last time I thought I found direction was nothing more than a mirage. To keep my chin up, I've been occupying my mind with a steady diet of independent study, leisure books, games, art projects, and other mental distractions, which work for a time... but when I put my nose back to the grindstone, I continue to feel my days slipping by, while I chip away endlessly at menial tasks, with next to nothing of real value to show for it.

There's a world full of big problems out there, bigger than any one of us... and spending our collective lifetimes working in offices and laboratories and industrial plants, designing roads and selling gadgets and debating government practices doesn't do shit to fix them. I don't think there is a place in this cultural institution in which I can happily sit and spin, like a functional little cog... but what is there left besides that? Reject the machine in its entirety, and go live in an isolated farming commune, imagining that issues will resolve themselves in time? Spend years researching improved machines that could replace the old ones, and sharing your blueprints with the masses only to have them block your words out of their minds for the sake of comfort and familiarity?

I think the thought I was going for has unraveled into so many threads by now... but I'm left at a loss for what I'm even doing with my life, and why I continue to do it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20509 on: January 20, 2011, 03:40:51 pm »

Sorry to hear that Solifuge :/

May I enquire, what education you have recieved/are recieving and what you're aspiring to become?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20510 on: January 20, 2011, 05:23:26 pm »

This may also spell the end of my mathematical career as a serious student[...]

This is confusing.
So what are you up to? Simply catching up with the stuff you always wanted to do/learn? Waiting for what the future might bring?

Concentrating on my other courses, so that I actually get something out of them.  I'm going to try to blow through the first couple of chapters of my Russian textbook this weekend, and then I have various Greek philosophers to study, my history of math textbook to start eating, and some abstract algebra to learn about.

Plus a little time spent watching Russian (or German, haven't decided yet) movies and reading crime novels/working on my topology textbook, because that was neat, playing card games with my housemates, history books (:D) and so on.

Basically, I've realized that I learn best when I have spare time to explore other options.  I do not learn well when I have someone saying "Learn this, learn this all the time, and your off time belongs to me, now and forever."  I'm currently doing well in my rhetoric class because I spent a couple years analyzing the hell out of every novel I came across and developing basic nihilism/existentialism/evolutionary psychology theoretical frameworks as I tried to go to sleep.  No one told me to do that, or even really knew I was doing it.  It's resulted in a major advantage over other students, though, which I intend to keep and wring out for all I can.

I don't think I'll be a good mathematician if I just pound down the math all day.  What has made me good at math thus far has been my mental flexibility and creativity--my ability to bring concepts into different frameworks, to see things differently, to conceptualize.  If I want to succeed, I need to nip this mental stagnation in the bud and start prying my mind open again.  Look at new concepts.  Build new frameworks.  Stop confusing Russian with Polish and French (it was horrible.  I kept responding in French in class today, or wanting to say "co" instead of "kto").

Hell, maybe I'll write some short stories.  No matter what, my goal is to learn as much as I can about whatever I can, and be happy.  Force-feeding myself math does not make me happy or well-educated.  Studying math along with philosophy, Russian, theater, cinematography, history... well, that makes me very, very happy.  Also well-educated.

Dammit, I want some time to read and take notes on my 1,500-page brick about the rise and fall of the Soviet Union.  Is that too much to ask?

@Solifuge: Having been in your shoes as far as feeling that my education was getting nowhere and I wasn't learning anything in any of my courses, I'd suggest studying allied fields and asking your professors suitable questions.  For example,

Mathematics -> Physics, programming, art, language, architecture, botany, history
Philosophy -> Rhetoric, languages, mathematical logic
Biology -> Chemistry, physics, discrete mathematics, statistics, painting, archaeology and anthropology

In my experience, this kind of study is what builds one an advantage over one's peers and ingratiates one to one's professors, and makes it so that one can easily shift from one frame of reference to another.  It helps you speak with people, and they'll frequently offer opportunities--if you know what those opportunities look like.

I'd say: do anything, study anything, try anything as long as you're learning and not just wasting time due to sheer unhappiness.  I can't happily say "Oh, I'm just wasting time" anymore.  Don't just lie on the grass, observe the sensation, catalog it, connect it... do whatever you have to.  Do whatever you can to render yourself passionate.  There's loads of information free (and even legal!) on the internet, novels through Project Gutenberg, teach-yourself-language sites, many videos on Youtube... there's local libraries, university libraries, word-of-mouth, simple natural observation.  A journal is a great place to teach yourself the basics of philosophy, literary analysis, and psychology, to learn how to observe rather than simply seeing.

You can do it.

As for my personal worries of the day, I think my rhetoric teacher may have been slightly shocked at my anger towards philosophy majors using mathematics to make points about rationalism when they have no idea as to what they're actually discussing at all.

I guess I'd probably better lay low for the next couple of sessions, although I nearly busted a gasket today listening to people questioning basic addition.  We already fixed that problem!  The only thing you really need to do is to distinguish one object starts from wherever it ends, build a little machinery, presto!  Natural numbers, integers, rationals, reals, all with some extremely nice properties--including 1+1=2.

You can argue about the ability to distinguish between objects all you want, but if you're going to argue that more than one object exists--and that, in fact, every object is entirely unique--you are not allowed to say that 1+1 =/= 2, because what you have really discovered is that 1+1 =/= 1, and the Peano Axioms could have told you that!

And they're all sitting there, nodding their heads and smiling happily because they can disprove mathematics they never understood, never discussed, never studied.  I don't mind silly conjectures that break mathematics, or even people being wrong in general.  I dislike their application of "logic" to this fundamentally logical subject, as though they fully understood the tools and the subject matter at hand, and could apply those tools to gain meaningful results.  As though their words were real mathematics.

Pffaugh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20511 on: January 20, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »

As for my personal worries of the day, I think my rhetoric teacher may have been slightly shocked at my anger towards philosophy majors using mathematics to make points about rationalism when they have no idea as to what they're actually discussing at all.

I guess I'd probably better lay low for the next couple of sessions, although I nearly busted a gasket today listening to people questioning basic addition.  We already fixed that problem!  The only thing you really need to do is to distinguish one object starts from wherever it ends, build a little machinery, presto!  Natural numbers, integers, rationals, reals, all with some extremely nice properties--including 1+1=2.

You can argue about the ability to distinguish between objects all you want, but if you're going to argue that more than one object exists--and that, in fact, every object is entirely unique--you are not allowed to say that 1+1 =/= 2, because what you have really discovered is that 1+1 =/= 1, and the Peano Axioms could have told you that!

And they're all sitting there, nodding their heads and smiling happily because they can disprove mathematics they never understood, never discussed, never studied.  I don't mind silly conjectures that break mathematics, or even people being wrong in general.  I dislike their application of "logic" to this fundamentally logical subject, as though they fully understood the tools and the subject matter at hand, and could apply those tools to gain meaningful results.  As though their words were real mathematics.

You know, rather than get flustered by it, you could take it as a glorious opportunity to be the teacher's arch-nemesis, thwarting him at every turn.  Bonus:  Maybe the other students will learn a little more with your input.

And if you despise the sort of smug prick that loves to one-up people, then consider it an exercise in acting.  Really ham it up.  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:09:42 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20512 on: January 20, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

Math and... Languages and history?

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20513 on: January 20, 2011, 06:27:26 pm »

The fact that adwarf needs to choose purple and then say 'yes I am a man get over it'... So purple is now apparently 'gay' in my opinion. *Sigh*

Oh, and my opinion of humanity is kinda low now...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20514 on: January 20, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »

Math and... Languages and history?

Linguistics overlaps really heavily with mathematics, and you need to know a number of languages/scripts to be able to survive at all.  History provides motivation for a lot of the stuff you learn in mathematics, especially ancient and wartime stuff.  Comprehension of motivation allows you to discover where other motivations might be discovered.

You know, rather than get flustered by it, you could take it as a glorious opportunity to be the teacher's arch-nemesis, thwarting him at every turn.  Bonus:  Maybe the other students will learn a little more with your input.

And if you despise the sort of smug prick that loves to one-up people, then consider it an exercise in acting.  Really ham it up.  :)

Bah, I've already helped destroy one linguistics professor's ego and traumatized a series of grad students.  I don't want to screw with this one too much, because... well, I'm already better-read than most of the people there, have a larger vocabulary, have more experience analyzing texts, and so on.

Basically, no matter what I do I'm already going to be one-upping most of them (unintentionally), so I'm not sure I want to beat everyone with the math-stick quite yet.  Plus, I want someone to recommend me without going "God, I don't want to help that smarmy git."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20515 on: January 20, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »

What you're feeling is personal growth.  You've taken another step away from your delusions about life, the universe, and everything.

Plus, I want someone to recommend me without going "God, I don't want to help that smarmy git."

Surely some professors would rather recommend the challenging student than the yes-man who meekly accepted his every word.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20516 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:31 pm »

What you're feeling is personal growth.  You've taken another step away from your delusions about life, the universe, and everything.
Yeah.. Still. its Very somber to think of that.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20517 on: January 20, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »

Tried to kill myself again today.
It's not been a very good day...
*Hugs*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20518 on: January 20, 2011, 06:50:34 pm »

Tried to kill myself again today.
It's not been a very good day...

If you're attempting suicide, you need to get off of webforums and get help. Seriously.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20519 on: January 20, 2011, 06:52:26 pm »

Plus, I want someone to recommend me without going "God, I don't want to help that smarmy git."

Surely some professors would rather recommend the challenging student than the yes-man who meekly accepted his every word.

Yes.  Just saying, I already have that covered without opening the class up to an enormous bitch-fest on mathematics.

Plus, I don't even know how I'd explain it to folks who weren't going to spend about 100 hours staring at a lump of set theory, because that's probably about the length of time it takes to fully understand what I'd need to bring up... ah, well.  I have enough other things to argue about.

Pages: 1 ... 1366 1367 [1368] 1369 1370 ... 8167