Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451964 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20370 on: January 18, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »

I wish I had a great synopsis of my childhood and parenting to tell.  My father raised me much more than my mother, especially after they divorced.  My father never told me I was a disappointment or a failure or anything like that.  He wondered sometimes why I just didn't understand what I was supposed to do, which looking back on it, when I was a teenager for whatever reason I was terminally confused about everyday activities all the time.  I don't think about it now, because it doesn't matter anymore.

But one thing I do know is that my Dad never pushed me to excel or achieve.  Or rather, he never pushed me to excel at education and achievement.  He understood how important they were, and tried to say all the right things that a father is supposed to say.  But what mattered to him was partying, and playing the guitar, and chasing skirt, and crashing dirtbikes, and hotrodding his car.  It's not hard to guess which priorities won out in raising me.

The problem is, his conflict between raising me to party and raising me to academic excellence was lost when I was about 13.  And trying to goad a 13 year old into chugging whiskey, smoking pot, crashing dirtbikes, rock'n'rolling on stage, and picking up sleazy women, with my loving father and his load of deadbeat 20-something crackhead friends, sent my already nerdy personality spiraling off a cliff.  I spent most of my teenage years turning into an academic shutin, as a default option compared to the terror of leaving my bedroom.  My grades still suffered, partly because it's hard to get to school everyday when my "ride" is passed out in the bathtub and/or the family car is in pieces awaiting a new manifold.  (We'll never forget that glorious day when he woke me up with a hand over my mouth to say, "No school today son, the cops are outside.")  And partly because I was never instilled with much of a work ethic, since my father bragged about making money (or dodging bills) with as little effort as possible, even while complaining about doing all the work.  As I've more or less learned, because he would rather do everything around the house himself rather than force me to do anything, because he loved me too much to put any pressure on me.

I wound up a "smart" guy with no work ethic, constantly trying to reconcile my love of learning with my hatred of work, and my respect for people with my inborn need to raise Hell.  Which comes back around to a conversation we had a while ago, wherein I revealed to him that this whole time, and especially over the past few years as I let myself recollect on my adolescence, I've come to believe that I failed him.  That I failed at being either of the people he had wanted me to be.  I spent a couple years dragging through school with no money and bombing grades; and after doing everything in his power to make me cool, none of really "took".  I certainly tried to live up to his standards, once I was actually able to drive and wheedle my way to possessing the requisite "shit", which earned me quite the wild reputation among my nerdy band of friends.  My grand master attempt at that lifestyle landed me in jail, which he bailed me out from.

And at that point he revealed that he'd been doing plenty of thinking to, and was simultaneously as proud as a father could be for even trying to be a real student with real goals and dreams, and blamed himself for everything that happened then and now, knowing full well how much of it could be blamed on his influence.  And finally laid the most ominous sentence I ever heard.  "Your children don't grow up the way you want them to, they grow up the way you expect them to.  Expect them to fail, and they'll fail.  But I always expected you to succeed, no matter how many times I managed to sabotage that."  And the more I think about it, the more it all falls into place, especially how he never had to say a word to let me know what actually disappointed him and what really made him proud.

So I guess I was able to write a synopsis of my parenting, that doesn't really have much to do with the topic.  Except at the end there, and that disputable bit of advice.  All fits into the Sad thread though, since I've been pretty twisted up over this shit for a while.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:14:32 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: January 18, 2011, 09:17:39 pm »

My parents were scummy, perverted, scum of the earth, fuckers. My foster parents were bastards, now I am here.
A simple summary of my parenting.

Thinking about that has made me sad.
*Hugs*

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20372 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:33 pm »

(We'll never forget that glorious day when he woke me up with a hand over my mouth to say, "No school today son, the cops are outside.")

Heh, for me, that was 'Let's get you to school before the cops come.'
Except I was not informed about the cops part.
I could go into details about all the stuff that happened for me, but I'm too lazy.
What matters is that I've pretty much been raising myself in a 'roommate environment' with my great aunt for the past 5 years.
I did live with my dad for awhile, though, and that was great.
We played a lot of video games together.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »

Finding out that my old school has had it's second suicide of the month.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: January 18, 2011, 09:27:52 pm »

Minecraft.net is still down, and notch is asleep.

:(

edit: wait, no, now it's up again.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »

It's been doing that all day.  The blog says the server reached capacity again.  Not that it really matters, but I wish skins were stored clientside or something, so I don't have those dorky default arms when playing offline.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: January 18, 2011, 09:37:28 pm »

It's been doing that all day.  The blog says the server reached capacity again.  Not that it really matters, but I wish skins were stored clientside or something, so I don't have those dorky default arms when playing offline.
I believe you can edit the default, so if you ever get left without the skin server you'll restore to whatever edited default texture you added.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: January 18, 2011, 10:43:39 pm »

Something about job stuff being more complicated than it should.  And some /headdesk moments, plus inevitable complaining and demanding from my mother and more of her demanding I explain everything to her several times.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20378 on: January 18, 2011, 11:08:34 pm »

Fuck. Been thinking about my parents again...
Damn it...
*Hugs*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20379 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:25 am »

Can't sleep. I wonder why *pops another can of Pepsi Max*
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20380 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:26 am »

I'm not sleeping either when I should be but its alright because I'm doing cool stuff.

Plus I've already got all my assignments done so what's a little fun gonna hurt eh eh?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20381 on: January 19, 2011, 12:45:17 am »

I'm not sleeping when I sh-
Wait…
It's only a quarter to eight here…

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20382 on: January 19, 2011, 12:49:45 am »

My parents don't really do much. My dad cheers me on a bit, but I don't see him very often. My mom basically just makes sure I know what I'm doing and in general she just lets me do what I need to do. If I had a job and paid for my own food and utilities, I think I could live on my own fairly well.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: January 19, 2011, 10:23:59 am »

Vectors post made me sad.

Reading about her life makes me feel, like I wasted 21 years of mine...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20384 on: January 19, 2011, 10:40:52 am »

Fucks sake. Asshat of a bus driver felt the need to comment, very loudly, on my arms.
That's all I fucking need, a bus full of people staring at me T.T
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 8167