Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451940 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20205 on: January 15, 2011, 07:48:56 pm »

Got a letter from the city. A police officer took a photo of our dog in the yard and cited that we were neglecting the dog. People from the city are coming on the 21st.

It's true we leave him outside most of the day, but we can easily supervise him from the windows and we never leave him outside all day, every day we let him out at eight in the morning, bring him in at around 1 for lunch and leave him out 'till sunset, when we bring him in for the night. That schedule is smattered with playing and walks. So it's not neglect. But I fear they won't listen to this and take him away anyway. And there isn't any evidence of what we have done beyond our word and whoever took the photo.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20206 on: January 15, 2011, 07:51:11 pm »

Does he have a kennel or something for shade?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #20207 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »

Geography is a pretty wide subject.  I don't think I've ever learnt the capital of anywhere in it.

It's been weather, rivers, rocks, social stuff, aid, politics... I kindof liked it just for the variety.

Exactly. And not only that, but it has far-reaching ramifications into a bunch of other fields. Religion, culture, language, history, economics, etc etc etc. I just remember from my school days that we learned the fifty states and their capitals then called it a day.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20208 on: January 15, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »

I just defended Twilight.

Oh God.

It's okay man.
The books are just another example of meh writing.
It's the miraculously large rabid fanbase and subsequent fanbase of those who hate the fanbase that are the issue.

The biggest problems with Twilight are the Fan Dumb and the Hate Dumb.

Yes, because restating what somebody has already said but with TvTropes links is always a good idea…

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20209 on: January 15, 2011, 07:57:00 pm »

And Florida is a gun. We get it.

I always pegged Florida for something even more phallic, and filled with old people.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20210 on: January 15, 2011, 07:59:51 pm »

Does he have a kennel or something for shade?
No, our porch is very open so he stays under it. We never let him out in the rain except to play with him, and he chooses to stay on the fenced-in part of the driveway himself.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20211 on: January 15, 2011, 08:00:04 pm »

I was always so much of a literature/linguistics nerd that I basically didn't bother with geography or history.  I mean, I learned it, and somehow I got really good grades in it... but I didn't care about it.
That's almost the opposite of what I did. I get A's in English classes, and I read very well (according to my SAT, anyway), but I never got into the "What type of word is this! How did you not know that was a copula verb!? Ragh!" vibe that my teachers seemed to have.

... I don't know anything about formalized grammar, either (copula verb?  WTF?).  I said "linguistics" as a substitute for "that thing where you learn languages and kind of putter around."

Actually, come to think of it, I'm kind of dumb.

^ Makes me sad most days >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20212 on: January 15, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »

Kinda puts a bit of context to all those politicians and scientists who have high level education and yet do/say stupid things. Although you are better off than my kind, who has a bit of knowledge of a lot of obscure stuff yet can't gain mastery over any one subject.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20213 on: January 15, 2011, 08:05:33 pm »

Yeah... honestly, I do feel kindof bad when a politican is taken up over not knowing which continent something's in/ saying one country is the capital of another.

Interesting fact: I didn't really know the exact order of the months until I learnt them in French.  I think I might still be able to say them faster than their English equivalents.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20214 on: January 15, 2011, 08:07:30 pm »

What are they in French?
In English, I have to count from January or August.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20215 on: January 15, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »

Janvier, Fevrier, Mars, Avril, Mai, Juni, Juli, Aout (accent I can't be bothered to get on that A), Septembre, Octobre, Novembre, Decembre.

I think.

(June and July are actually Juin and Juilliet.  Got those ones confused with German)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:10:11 pm by Leafsnail »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20216 on: January 15, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »

Kinda puts a bit of context to all those politicians and scientists who have high level education and yet do/say stupid things. Although you are better off than my kind, who has a bit of knowledge of a lot of obscure stuff yet can't gain mastery over any one subject.

Eh, I often feel that I know a lot about a number of things upon speaking to most people, but when I really think about my general knowledge I just... don't know that much.  Not even about mathematics.  Or literature, or languages.  My French isn't that good, and--here's a secret--my Japanese is terrible.  I studied Arabic for two years, but can hardly remember a sentence, or anything except some random conjugation tables my brain held onto for no reason.

*siiiiigh*

Well, I was in a pretty good mood about where my life had gone thus far up until 3 minutes ago >_>  I guess I'm glad to have some motivation, though.

Yeah... honestly, I do feel kindof bad when a politican is taken up over not knowing which continent something's in/ saying one country is the capital of another.

It's kind of their job, though.  We expect them to know that stuff, so that we don't have to.

What are they in French?
In English, I have to count from January or August.

Janvier, fevrier, mars, avril, juin, juillet, aou(^)t, septembre, octobre, novembre, decembre.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20217 on: January 15, 2011, 08:11:20 pm »

Vector, was that a joke?  Because you missed out May :P.

To be fair, that's the one I tend to forget.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20218 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:44 pm »

I have trouble knowing the order of the alphabet unless I start from A or from Q.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20219 on: January 15, 2011, 08:14:05 pm »

Hrmm…
I think I'll stick with Japanese.
1月、2月、3月、4月、5月、6月、7月、8月、9月、10月、11月、12月。
Where 月 is the counter for months. :P

As for the alphabet, I can't do standard, but I have qwerty memorised.
Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 8167